Conversion Weight Increase?

Truth011

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the weight increase is converting a 50's Goldtop to a stoptail humbucker guitar?

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be much. The pickup weights are close. You're adding a bridge and two extra studs, but also removing wood from the body.

Better buy an extra wide padded strap just in case ;)

Truth011

Reaction score
Not nearly as much as the eternal burden on your soul for butchering an early 50s goldtop.
Would it be blasphemy to convert an already butchered goldtop?

On second thought forget it. More pressing issues than guitars at the moment. :naughty:

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
MLP demands pics of said LP so we can judge you! :laugh2:

There have been many conversions done and posted here. Some were nearly basket cases, some merely refinished previously, some had nothing wrong with them at all. It's been common since the '60s and '70s to refit '50s LPs with a TOM bridge and/or humbuckers, and to rerout Deluxes for humbuckers.

Some are OK with it. I can't afford a mid '50s LP, or an R4, for that matter. But I appreciate a P-90 guitar with a wrap tail.

Truth011

Reaction score
I really don't want to go down the conversion rabbit hole.
It is a simple question for those in the know if they care to answer it.

Stay safe All !!!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
It would be good to know if one was looking for a doner guitar to start a project in the same way that changing kluson tuners to grovers adds a quarter pound to the guitar.
Have a look at the thread about Kluson vs Grovers influence on tone.
You'll have a blast.
Believers vs non-believers.

A friend of mine did hear a change on one of his Les Paul's going from Kluson to Grovers.
I did too.

And if that is not enough and you would like to lose a good chunk of your active life,
consult the tone woods / wood tones threads.
We'll see you in 2023.
Have a good one!

Latest Threads