Conversion bushings for Gibson Kluson > Vintage Kluson?

bluesriffdev

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm nearly sold on the 2019/2020 Gibson SG special in Pelham Blue. I'm just about to pull the trigger, but there's one tiny thing I don't like about it... the modern Gibson Klusons. Why oh why do they put these large washer monstrosities on vintage-style instruments, when they're objectively awful anyway? So I figured I'll buy Gotoh SD90 Tuners, which have always served me well on my other guitars - and they look the business too. I don't want grovers.

My dilemma is the bushing. I've looked at these (https://www.realparts.com.au/kluson-10-5mm-adaptor-bushing-set-for-1-4-posts-nickel.html) and think they'll do the job, but can anyone who's done this confirm if this is the best way to do it? I can't find any pictures online, and I don't want to do this to still end up having visibly giant tuning post holes. As long as they look mostly vintage diameter, I'm good.

Cheers.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I got all of mine from Philadelphia Luthier Supply.

EdmundGTP

Reaction score
Just hope those threaded bushings aren't cranked down so tight that they leave permanent ring indents in the face of the headstock that your conversion bushing won't cover up.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Philadelphia has wide shoulder bushings to cover that up.

cherrick

Reaction score
Thread high jack - I have an '04 R9. I bought the RetroSpec vintage-correct single ring, single line Kluson w/ Keystone knob tuners, under the impression that they should "pop right in" without replacement bushings.

Am I wrong?

Latest Threads