control cavity cover lip.... ???

ShelbyDude

Reaction score
I hope this makes sense. I got the templates to route my control cavity. No problem there. Now I need to route the lip that the cover sits in. I have the template, but can't seem to find a proper router bit. I'm guessing I need a really short shaft straight bit, with the bearing on top. The bit I used for the cavity is 1" long. I can't adjust it up far enough because then the bearing will no longer ride on the template.

Anybody know where to get the correct bit?

rmh

Reaction score
Just put some blocks under your template to raise it up to the right height

ShelbyDude

Reaction score

DUH!!!! why didn't I think of that. Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to figure out.

THANKS!!!

schoeftinger

Reaction score

If you put blocks under the template, it gets a lot more difficult to align/position the template accurately.

I've had the same problem, and I got me some 20mm MDF scrap, screwed it to the template I already had (the thin one) and used a top-bearing copy bit to basically create a thicker template (cavity cover recess AND guitar outline).

Now I actually have 3 templates (thin, middle, very thick - both together).

rmh

Reaction score
If you stick them on it randomly it does, if you stick them around the edges of the hole it's ok

But if you're gonna keep the template and use it again then yeah, might as well make some duplicates.

ShelbyDude

Reaction score
I've had the same problem, and I got me some 20mm MDF scrap, screwed it to the template I already had (the thin one) and used a top-bearing copy bit to basically create a thicker template.

Another great idea. I'll probably do the same.

ievans

Reaction score
I attached the template to the body with double sided tape, then used a short bottom-bearing bit in my router table, adjusted a little higher than the template height. It's the one on the left.
cedarDCBuild-10.jpg

Put the body face up on the table, and blind routed the control plate cavity. Took some faith, and a few passes to clean up all the areas, but it worked just fine.

neil_004

Reaction score
I used a hinge mortise bit. It is very similar to ievans bit on above on the left.
For some of the routes I did make thicker templates like schoeftinger.

ShelbyDude

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. Got it routed out today. I just went ahead and made a thicker template. Piece of cake!!!

Latest Threads