Contemplating a Move...

zontar

Reaction score
I'm the exact opposite, I spend all my time indoors, and I wish I didnt even have a yard that I have to maintain. I tell my wife all the time that I'm thinking about paving the entire back yard and making it into a basketball court so I won't have to cut the grass, and she thinks I'm joking. Good Luck Skin, moving to new digs is exciting!

I hate yardwork.
While I prefer living in a house to an apartment.
So I have to balance that out.

While I don't enjoy moving, in your case skin--it sounds too good to pass up.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I'm typically a person who lets other people make decisions, but when it comes to me making my own decisions, I tend to be indecisive. Lately I've been trying to remedy that and so far it's worked out well. :)

Good to hear, man. Another quote I like which fits in well with yours is "Do not take counsel in your fears."

Good luck on a smooth move and a happy landing.

River

Reaction score
I hate yardwork.
While I prefer living in a house to an apartment.
So I have to balance that out.
Buy some land, let it go wild. Wildlife refuge grants are available.

Just don't look for your neighbors to appreciate your efforts, and stay away from home-owners' associations.

Easy-peasy.

pauls_journey.1210608540.goats-on-roof-market.jpg

your idol

Reaction score
man i do love being a lil further from the city city (10 min away) but im out of my element...im the one you lock you doors when you see me now and i know im a good guy so if im the worst element (in appearance at least) in my area then that feels pretty damn good..but in small towns people always wanna be in your business and im not all that social and i dont play well with Grown Up versions of high school drama. plus i hate mowing. what can i say?...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQM00K24qG8]"I Love Livin' In The City" - Fear - YouTube[/ame]

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
man i do love being a lil further from the city city (10 min away) but im out of my element...im the one you lock you doors when you see me now and i know im a good guy so if im the worst element (in appearance at least) in my area then that feels pretty damn good..but in small towns people always wanna be in your business and im not all that social and i dont play well with Grown Up versions of high school drama. plus i hate mowing. what can i say?...

"I Love Livin' In The City" - Fear - YouTube

That can be a problem for sure, and I'm pretty much a city guy. But in my current case, the trade up for space and relative privacy would be worth it.

Maybe it's different here in Texas, there are probably a few small town busy bodies around, but for the most part my experience has always been that people in smaller communities mind their own business.

One of my best friends packed up almost 20 years ago, and went from living as a musician in a punk band in Houston, to really small town Teas life when he married a woman that was from that town. His experience was pretty good, and I used to visit him a lot. For the most part, people just kind of mind their own business.

River

Reaction score
For the most part, people just kind of mind their own business.
That's my experience. Now, I can't say they don't know more of my business than is always comfortable, but they don't stick their noses into it.

There's a working etiquette that comes into play when you see almost everyone else in town at least once a week, many of them every day. If you gossip, you're gonna get caught - so you pretty much don't.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's my experience. Now, I can't say they don't know more of my business than is always comfortable, but they don't stick their noses into it.

There's a working etiquette that comes into play when you see almost everyone else in town at least once a week, many of them every day. If you gossip, you're gonna get caught - so you pretty much don't.

Yeah, I'm sure there is a certain amount of gossip in any small community. That stuff doesn't bother me and my wife too much. We're weirdos anyway, and I'm sure that some of the clean cut yuppies on my block in Houston have gossiped about us.

When the gentrification of my street began to ramp up, I came out to find a abandoned vehicle warning sticker on the back window of my hearse. Some new resident apparently didn't like the fact that I have it parked in my drive, and tattled to the police.

I called the number on the sticker and they sent out an officer who said they'd gotten a complaint. The cop was a classic car buff, and after talking to him a while, proving the car was fully functional, and in fact was restored, and that I was a member of a hearse owners club, and my wife is a funeral director, he happily drove off after telling me I wouldn't have any more problems. He actually LIKED the hearse. :D

So yeah, I've had a few minor run ins with busy body neighbors here already. If we move to Taylor, I plan to just wave when people drive by, and mind my own business. If some local gossip wants to have a go at us, they're free to do so. I'm planning on focusing any social activities in Austin anyway. :)

your idol

Reaction score
That can be a problem for sure, and I'm pretty much a city guy. But in my current case, the trade up for space and relative privacy would be worth it.

Maybe it's different here in Texas, there are probably a few small town busy bodies around, but for the most part my experience has always been that people in smaller communities mind their own business.

One of my best friends packed up almost 20 years ago, and went from living as a musician in a punk band in Houston, to really small town Teas life when he married a woman that was from that town. His experience was pretty good, and I used to visit him a lot. For the most part, people just kind of mind their own business.

I guess im just not that nosy or friendly.. I dont like very many people so in a small town i become the guy who has bodies in his basement. I tried small town living but i stick out like a sore thumb and everyone seemed to know everything about me real or not so i pulled a peace out... Plus can you imagine driving over an hour to dick around in a guitar store :) good luck no matter what you do brother!

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I guess im just not that nosy or friendly.. I dont like very many people so in a small town i become the guy who has bodies in his basement. I tried small town living but i stick out like a sore thumb and everyone seemed to know everything about me real or not so i pulled a peace out... Plus can you imagine driving over an hour to dick around in a guitar store :) good luck no matter what you do brother!

Thanks bro. I don't think I'll have trouble with any social or neighbor issues there, and there are actually quite a few guitar shops near by. Obviously Austin has quite a few good ones, but the surrounding towns do to.

I should probably stay clear of guitar shops for a while anyway. They have a habit of separating me from my money. :laugh2:

zeronalo

Reaction score
wow - I was just looking at homes in Austin on the comp today.

Our property here is worth a pile of money - even these days and I'm looking for a possible future move. I was in Austin last spring and loved it. It would be a huge move for the wife and I and I have no idea what kind of work I could find since I haven't worked for anyone in 15 years. if I could sell my business and property I'd have a nice cushion but I want to be right close to the outskirts and the prices seem expensive even to someone from Hawaii.

keep us posted on the move

Freddy

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Our property here is worth a pile of money - even these days and I'm looking for a possible future move. I was in Austin last spring and loved it. It would be a huge move for the wife and I and I have no idea what kind of work I could find since I haven't worked for anyone in 15 years. if I could sell my business and property I'd have a nice cushion but I want to be right close to the outskirts and the prices seem expensive even to someone from Hawaii.

Freddy

I will. :)

I haven't looked in the last six months, but Austin is one of the nicest (My opinion) cities in Texas, and most expensive places to buy property.

However, it is ringed by many small to medium sized towns that are nice in their own way, and very inexpensive. If you like Austin, but don't HAVE to live at the heart of the city, there are deals to be found. :)

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score

Freddy

Forgive the unsolicited advice, but visit in July or August before you decide to move.

zeronalo

Reaction score
I go to a trade show in San Antonio every August and want to slap the fool who schedules it in August. I imagine Austin is the same.

The cost of living in Texas is much better then Hawaii, taxes are better, I can own a gun AND have bullets for it. Hawaii is great but looking for other options.

Freddy

randelli

Reaction score
Austin is MUCH better than Houston or San Antonio as far as heat goes. At least my little area of Austin. We get nice breeze most of the time that tends to keep the humidity tolerable. Houston, I've told, is like getting slapped in the face with a wet towel.

Check out Lakeway, Dripping Springs, you know - Hill Country.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Austin is MUCH better than Houston or San Antonio as far as heat goes. At least my little area of Austin. We get nice breeze most of the time that tends to keep the humidity tolerable. Houston, I've told, is like getting slapped in the face with a wet towel.

Check out Lakeway, Dripping Springs, you know - Hill Country.

I don't know, I lived in Austin for years, and would agree that it's generally "cooler", or at least feels that way, because the humidity from the Gulf isn't a factor. Austin still gets pretty hot at times, especially for people that are from other cooler states.

Doesn't bother me much either way. I've lived in Texas my whole life, and am used to the weather... Which I prefer over frigid winters personally. :)

randelli

Reaction score
This is my first summer here so I don't know what a normal summer is like, with heat and humidity. I do remember well what summer is like in Longview, Tyler, Texarkana - 95 degrees and 95% humidity!

Everyone around us, in Austin, were constantly complaining about the 103 degrees; and absolutely wilting. It didn't feel any different than the 40 summers I lived in the central California town I move here from. I actually thought it was pretty nice :). The worst summer was the one I worked in Indio,CA; and the worst day was the one where it cooled off to 117 degrees............... because it rained all day!

I Googled Taylor and it seems to be as far out from Austin as we are in Lakeway. Close enough and far enough at the same time.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is my first summer here so I don't know what a normal summer is like, with heat and humidity. I do remember well what summer is like in Longview, Tyler, Texarkana - 95 degrees and 95% humidity!

Everyone around us, in Austin, were constantly complaining about the 103 degrees; and absolutely wilting. It didn't feel any different than the 40 summers I lived in the central California town I move here from. I actually thought it was pretty nice :). The worst summer was the one I worked in Indio,CA; and the worst day was the one where it cooled off to 117 degrees............... because it rained all day!

I Googled Taylor and it seems to be as far out from Austin as we are in Lakeway. Close enough and far enough at the same time.

Yes, it's "just" far away to be able to escape Austin when I want to, and to benefit from much cheaper property, but "Just" close enough that I can drive into Austin anytime I want to. :)

At 42, I still like to be "connected" to the laid back music scene and culture Austin provides, but I don't necessarily feel like I have to live in the middle of town anymore, like I did when I was 22.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
This is my first summer here so I don't know what a normal summer is like, with heat and humidity.

Pittsburg here, Bub, from my dad's side of the family. :thumb:

I go to a trade show in San Antonio every August and want to slap the fool who schedules it in August. I imagine Austin is the same.

That's cool, so long as you know what you're in for. Some can take it, and some can't.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
600 sq feet? My 1 bedroom is bigger than that! Good luck on your move. Hope it all goes your way.
My one bedroom is half that size... Oh wait, I mean to say that one of my bedrooms is half that size... :hmm:

Hope you have as good of luck with finding a house and moving as my wife and I just did. Everything just fell into place at just the right time and in just the right way. We did kind of the opposite though. I grew up out in the middle of nowhere, and we've been living in the same area where I grew up for the past 6-7 years. We just got tired of having to drive an hour just to spend time with friends.

Now, we're 15 minutes from downtown Indianapolis, but like 5 minutes from just about anything we'd actually need. Before we'd have to drive 10 minutes just to get to a Walmart and 30 minutes just to get to anything else.

Latest Threads