Contemplating a Move...

River

Reaction score
I was immensely flattered when I learned from one neighbor that another neighbor had referred to me as "the friendly werewolf next door"
Once again,

55a8c8d3-a29b-41aa-b018-46ef6a4b3893.jpg

Better a werewolf than zombie, I suppose. :laugh2:

Small towns have a sort of collective conscience. To me, it's important to get a feel for their values beforehand, if you plan a long stay. That's equally true of most urban neighborhoods; in my experience the suburbs - not so much.

People in this town know much more about my comings and goings than some would be comfortable with, but it doesn't bother me a bit; which somewhat surprises me.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Once again,

55a8c8d3-a29b-41aa-b018-46ef6a4b3893.jpg

Better a werewolf than zombie, I suppose. :laugh2:

Small towns have a sort of collective conscience. To me, it's important to get a feel for their values beforehand, if you plan a long stay. That's equally true of most urban neighborhoods; in my experience the suburbs - not so much.

People in this town know much more about my comings and goings than some would be comfortable with, but it doesn't bother me a bit; which somewhat surprises me.

My current block used to only have six or seven houses on it, with lots of space between them. During the housing boom, they threw up expensive cookie cutter two and three story townhomes that are only ten feet (Or less) apart from one another. The street is densely packed now, and I have a townhome balconey that looms over my driveway now... Where there used to be a pretty wooded lot.

I expected all of this to happen eventually, but the extra people being right on top of me, is occasionally unpleasant.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Taylor and the surrounding area is awesome! I'd wait to see what happens with the drought though...the water shortage in the Hill Country and the fire dangers are extreme. When/If the economy picks up again...your place in Houston (it's inside the loop, right?) should be worth a pretty penny. Good luck!

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Taylor and the surrounding area is awesome! I'd wait to see what happens with the drought though...the water shortage in the Hill Country and the fire dangers are extreme. When/If the economy picks up again...your place in Houston (it's inside the loop, right?) should be worth a pretty penny. Good luck!

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it. :thumb:

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
More space is what it's all about for me. I don't need/want a large house, but I sure do want a nice sized piece of property for it and some woods surrounding it. I want to be able to walk outside onto my own deck in the back of the house in the morning wearing nothing but my underwear just to smoke a cigarette without anyone freaking out - not that I've done that in my apartment complex and been arrested or anything, but it sure would be nice to have some privacy.

I'm the exact opposite, I spend all my time indoors, and I wish I didnt even have a yard that I have to maintain. I tell my wife all the time that I'm thinking about paving the entire back yard and making it into a basketball court so I won't have to cut the grass, and she thinks I'm joking. Good Luck Skin, moving to new digs is exciting!

leftyguitarman

Reaction score
I've been debating ditching Arizona and moving back to the Seattle area (where I grew up) and I have weighed all the pros and cons. Someone on another forum told me "Fortune favors the bold" and he is very right.

I think you guys have your mind made up. Go through with it! And best of luck!

I finally decided that the more I wait to make up my mind, the more likely I am to analyze stuff so much that I won't let myself move. So one morning I woke up and grabbed some empty boxes out of the garage and started packing.

I got my U Haul ready to go today and the car up on the trailer. Tomorrow afternoon, I'm Seattle bound.

Dan

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmUZGdi7Ty4]Just Do It, Do It!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Moves outside of the comfort zone are scary, but more often than not, they are SOOO worth it. It sounds like you and your wife have thought things out realistically and responsibly. My wife and I took a big leap when she decided to go back to school and we moved to Athens. Right now, I can say it was one of the best decisions we've ever made.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, I believe that it's easy to second guess and find any reason NOT to make a change like this, when often those "problems" are either minor, or not problems at all.

Basically any major move will entail a certain amount of change and disruption, and as my wife was the one that started to mention Taylor as a serious option, I told her that if we decide to do this, that she needs to be sure, and not let every single small issue that inevitably pops up, suddenly become a deal crusher for her.

She understands what I'm talking about, so we're on the same page. :)

River

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the nice thoughts. :)
Your description of local suburban sprawl gives me the heebie-jeebies. I'd be so out of there I wouldn't even leave a DNA trail.

Happy trails, Skinny.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Your description of local suburban sprawl gives me the heebie-jeebies. I'd be so out of there I wouldn't even leave a DNA trail.

Happy trails, Skinny.

Thanks man. Houston occupies something like 570 square miles. You can drive for a couple of hours, and still be in the Houston area. :shock:

River

Reaction score
Thanks man. Houston occupies something like 570 square miles. You can drive for a couple of hours, and still be in the Houston area. :shock:
I visited a few times (wish I could again for the MLP meet, but alas...).

It's what happened to your little cottage that irritates me. You better get out of there before a McMansion eats your cottage and calls it a den. :thumb:

Axis Bold As Fuzz

Reaction score
Rent the cottage out and go for it my man. Living here in St Pete I have begun to feel like a rat in a damn maze. I drove up to Springhill (above Tampa) to pick up an amp, and the open cattle pastures and woods made me realize how claustrophobic I feel. I dream of getting a house with enough land that I don't have to see my neighbors. I like my neighbors quiet and far away! Ha ha ha, Ever since I saw The Matador I have decided that it is appropriate to let the dog out in the morning while wearing my underwear and cowboy boots. So possibly my neighbors would prefer me to be quiet and far away. Good Luck finding the right spot!

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I've been debating ditching Arizona and moving back to the Seattle area (where I grew up) and I have weighed all the pros and cons. Someone on another forum told me "Fortune favors the bold" and he is very right.

I think you guys have your mind made up. Go through with it! And best of luck!

I finally decided that the more I wait to make up my mind, the more likely I am to analyze stuff so much that I won't let myself move. So one morning I woke up and grabbed some empty boxes out of the garage and started packing.

I got my U Haul ready to go today and the car up on the trailer. Tomorrow afternoon, I'm Seattle bound.

Sweet, man. It's wise to recognize the power of decisiveness. :)

Latest Threads