Container Ship Loses Cargo

mkel2010

Reaction score
Apparently on November 30th, the ONE Apus container ship bound for the US from China ran into a storm and lost 1,816 containers overboard. I wonder how much this has contributed to the slow delivery of new Epiphones. According to another post I read about this, a different manufacturer who has guitars made in China lost at least one container in this mishap.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
It boggles the mind that shit like this can happen in 2020.

You'd think by now, they'd figure out a way to keep that from happening? Oh, yeah, that involves money, that nobody wants to spend, so...

truckermde

Reaction score
Sea containers are not air tight, but I wonder if some are tight enough to wash up somewhere?

Will that stuff just sink?

I wonder how deep it is where the incident occurred?

Hazardous materials!!?

I'm pretty sure those responsible won't be held accountable for the damage caused to the environment.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something like It happened off the south coast of the U.K. a few years back, a lot made it to shore, lotta chavs (trailer trash) riding new bmw motor bikes that month.

fleahead

Reaction score
What kills me is that they pile them so high! Like the laws of center-of-gravity doesn't apply, especially in high winds and waves. A large one lost a huge amount just off the coast of Japan just a few months ago....

mkel2010

Reaction score
What kills me is that they pile them so high! Like the laws of center-of-gravity doesn't apply, especially in high winds and waves. A large one lost a huge amount just off the coast of Japan just a few months ago....
Equally amazing - with all the technology available today - that they would be anywhere near a storm that could do that kind of damage.

skydog

Reaction score
Rogue waves? Storms? It's economics. By hauling excess on each passage they more than cover the occasional loss. The penalties for the pollution should make it prohibitive, but obviously enough it doesn't.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rogue waves? Storms? It's economics. By hauling excess on each passage they more than cover the occasional loss. The penalties for the pollution should make it prohibitive, but obviously enough it doesn't.
Very little regulation in international waters.
No regulation prior to 1972, and after 1972, regulation is pretty limited to things that would create a human hazard.

Cruise ships are probably the single biggest source of oceanic pollution.

@Marshall & Moonshine can fill you in on regs that impact container ships.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
It boggles the mind that shit like this can happen in 2020.

You'd think by now, they'd figure out a way to keep that from happening? Oh, yeah, that involves money, that nobody wants to spend, so...
You think Man has conquered Ocean??
;)

:laugh2:
That whole thing was a blip on an insurance form, some paperwork with regulating authorities, possible shipyard work and some dirty skibbies in the crew laundry.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
When Jacques Cousteau was alive I read a quote; he said the black trash bags on the ocean floor along cruise routes is unbelievable.
When I started, we were still busting fluorescent light bulbs with channel locks and dumping it off the stern. We could still clean tanks on oil tankers as long as we were going fast enough to disperse it thinly enough. YouTube that shit. It might still be legal, I haven’t worked on tankers for about 13yrs.
I’ll tell you truly: American flag ships are all but done tossing trash of any kind over the side anymore, except food waste when we’re far out enough to sea. We have trackable paperwork for all of it, and we’re paid enough with enough union protections from the companies that nobody is gonna risk their license and livelihood to cheat garbage disposal fees for the companies. Foreign flag ships still dump shit all the time. My friend (Filipino) spent years on foreign flag ships and still has friends there. Still dumping shit. They properly dispose of enough stuff to keep up appearances, or pay a fraction of the cost for fake paperwork from the vendors.

DavGrape

Reaction score
Oh, yeah; I read that quote in the 80's... I agree with George Carlin, Earth will absorb what we've done, and just leave a thin, thin black smudge showing we were here.

JayPDizzle

Reaction score
There had been whispers the first batch of the Bonamassa Signatures destined for European retailers had been damaged in shipping and that's why there was no sign of them for a few months.
I wonder were they in a container on this ship and held up by the effort to unload the remaining containers and send them on their way. If only my guitar could talk :rofl:

Anyone have a submarine I can borrow for a day or two?

mdittman

Reaction score
There had been whispers the first batch of the Bonamassa Signatures destined for European retailers had been damaged in shipping and that's why there was no sign of them for a few months.
I wonder were they in a container on this ship and held up by the effort to unload the remaining containers and send them on their way. If only my guitar could talk :rofl:

Anyone have a submarine I can borrow for a day or two?
It can't talk but if you're really good maybe it can gently weep.

Latest Threads