Considering pick up covers

Static

Reaction score
I've been mulling over putting pick up covers on my naked pickups (Les Paul Classic). I am unclear on how to measure to ensure I order the right covers. The bridge pick up is somewhat larger the the neck pickup. It also seems like in the forums and product comment sections nickel is right material, why would that be?

Reactions: Arf

LP1865

Reaction score
I've been mulling over putting pick up covers on my naked pickups (Les Paul Classic). I am unclear on how to measure to ensure I order the right covers. The bridge pick up is somewhat larger the the neck pickup. It also seems like in the forums and product comment sections nickel is right material, why would that be?
Nickel tends to kill the highs less.
Also :photos:

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Are your pickups original or replacements? If they are original Gibsons, contact Customer Service at Gibson for guidance. If they are replacements, the pickup mfr should be able to help.

Static

Reaction score
Yes the pick ups are the original 'hot' pick ups most people hate. I do not hate them, but am sick of the uncovered look.

Demon Dave

Reaction score
Covers have zero effect on tone. Pick the ones please your eyes.
Really? I’m in the same way, and planning to cover the pickups of my 2019 Classic, but I don’t really need any change in my tone, still wondering...

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Covers have zero effect on tone. Pick the ones please your eyes.
You might need some new gear, or new ears, that can better show the difference, if you think that.

If you don't trust your gear/ears, you can see the frequency response change on a spectrometer pretty obviously. The treble rolls off and there's a resonant bump right below the frequency, at which it rolls off.

How much the sound changes, and at what frequency the treble rolloff is, is dependent on the covers and pickups in question. They are not all the same.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Call Gibson and get their covers, made to fit that pickup pole spacing arrangement.

FWIW - pole spacing is measured center-to-center, E-to-E on the pole screws. If you have the stock pickups, they can tell you what part number to get, based off your headstock serial.

Since you've got that different neck/bridge spacing, you're not likely to find vintage-PAF-style covers without a copper plating layer (the copper plating layer common in most covers further reduces treble), but you can get them in chrome, which is probably what the rest of the hardware on that particular guitar is plated with, so the look and fit will match. Chrome plated (or otherwise) Gibson covers aren't ideal for transparent sound, but your options are more limited with that pole spacing and matching the look of the guitar. They are made of a base material called "nickel silver" or "German silver." It's not nickel or silver, it's mostly brass and brass has the same problems as copper in a pickup cover (it's conductive and diamagnetic) but this option is still better than some covers which are solid brass and really reduce the treble, like many cheaper offshore options.

Nimco

Reaction score
Covers off without pickguard or covers on with a pickguard.

How much do you like your pickguard?

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
Get the Gibson branded Nickel covers. As recommended, call CS for a part number. I personally recommend nickel even if your bridge is chrome. Nickel will just wear nicer and I think you will be happier with the look long term.

ARandall

Reaction score
Yes, the Gibson ones....one T spaced and one not will be the perfect pair.
Making sure you have a super tight fit (clamped whilst soldered) with some tape on the slugs will be essential. The 500T is a bit of a monster and will squeal like crazy if the cover is not very securely fitted.

jc2000

Reaction score
I remember there were several choices, make sure you measure your pole pieces before you order.

Latest Threads