Considering buying an older Les Paul Double Cut

QuarterTone

Reaction score
Hi all, I am considering a Les Paul Standard Double Cut, around a year 2000 model, for my next Les Paul. I currently own a 2010 Les Paul Studio Faded with Burstbuckers, a guitar I totally love, not looking to replace or sell this guitar at all, just a bit of acquisition disorder kicking in I believe.

My current guitar has a 50's neck, and I would prefer a 60's neck (used to play an Ibanez so I'm more used to thin). I am pretty sure from internet research that a Standard Double Cut year 2000 would have a 60's neck but I'm hoping someone could confirm that. I also think this double cut would have 490R/490T pickups but again not certain - looking for info there.

Finally I'm looking for general info on how these DC's would sound and play relative to my current guitar. General opinions on fair value of these models would really be appreciated as well. I have attached a picture of the type of Standard model I'm looking at as well if that helps.

Attachments

• LP DC.jpg
    LP DC.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 65

Ansen

Reaction score
The Standard DC will come with so called 59' slim tapered neck and pickups will be 490R/498T. They are fully chambered, so it will sound a little bit brighter than a normal swissholed Les Paul, more like the chambered standards, but trully Les Paul alike. They weight around 7 lbs, you will like that, i think..:)

I have one in Chicago Blue and i love her..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ProspektLesPaulDC-1.JPG
    ProspektLesPaulDC-1.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 157
  • ProspektLesPaulDC-2.JPG
    ProspektLesPaulDC-2.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 166

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
The Standard DC will come with so called 59' slim tapered neck and pickups will be 490R/498T. They are fully chambered, so it will sound a little bit brighter than a normal swissholed Les Paul, more like the chambered standards, but trully Les Paul alike. They weight around 7 lbs, you will like that, i think..:)

I have one in Chicago Blue and i love her..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ill take the Green one. that looks sick!

SteelPastor

Reaction score
There are still a few 2012 DC's out there NEW for a little over a grand. I got a great deal on one and love it... BB Pro PU's, 60's neck, binding like a normal Standard. A lot of bang-for-the-buck.

rustypaul

Reaction score
I have a '98 DC standard. Holds its own with every other les paul I own.

I think the best comparison honestly is a PRS custom 24 though. It baffles me that you can pick up a used DC Standard for less than $1200 and can't touch a Custom 24 for less than $2k.

johnnytuinals

Reaction score
There are still a few 2012 DC's out there NEW for a little over a grand. I got a great deal on one and love it... BB Pro PU's, 60's neck, binding like a normal Standard. A lot of bang-for-the-buck.

I really have No clue whatz the difference from a New DC from a New Standard???
Both have the same Pickups?(I think but can be wrong}
But The DC has only 2 knobs while the standards have 4
Other then that whats the difference?..............JT

tremor

Reaction score
That is what I want next. On my gonna get list...

QuarterTone

Reaction score

Did some Google-Fu and you're right - looks like only available in ebony - nice white binding though. But that's okay, my first guitar back in like 1993 was all black so that will work out for nostalgia purposes if this older one I'm looking at doesn't pan out.

Well you folks sure aren't doing a good job of talking me out of this - these DC's sound like both a no-brainer and a steal if you like them.

QuarterTone

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how the pickups on these would sound compared to Burstbuckers? Not quite as hot as BB's?

Next I'm guessing the tone on the DC's is going to be a little bit brighter than a traditional Les Paul due to less body material and a thinner neck joint?

Maybe a little bit less sustain too? Not that I care, my current Studio with just a dab of compression seems to ring forever...

jeebus2002

Reaction score
are they 57s? those pickups are really sharp...and i mean in the attack...especially in the bridge.

I reeeaaallly want a DC. I almost got one that popped up as my first LP, but needed my basic LP before I got any of the cool variation. They are a great deal though. There are foriegn made PRS santanas that cost the same as a DC in great shape. My next gibby will be a gold top or a DC I think.

QuarterTone

Reaction score

SteelPastor

Reaction score
The new DC's have BurstBucker Pro's. The guitar is slightly brighter than a traditional LP. On the DC, the neck PU is one of the best sounding PU's I have ever heard in a LP (and I own several). The BB in the bridge has a slight bite to it--a little more than I like. However, rolling off the tone knob just a touch and solved. It is a great guitar and serves very well as a second guitar (or third) on stage. Simply an unbelievable guitar for the money--IMHO.

58junior

Reaction score
I have one of the older ones from around 2005, 7.5 lbs (body is chambered). What I like about the older ones is the offset Junior style body shape, with a deep carved top. 490/498 pickups. The body is not as thick as a traditional LP. It has an in-between neck profile, like a slightly larger 60's shape but not as big the typical 50s rounded C shape. I have been thinking of changing out the nashville for an abr. Tone is very hot, good rock guitar, and should be similar to your studio, since the pickups are probably the same. It may not be as thick or chunky sounding as a solid body standard, but your back will appreciate the light weight. Since they have 24 frets instead of 22, the neck and bridge pickup are closer together. I think these were Gibson's attempt to take back sales from PRS.
P3070007.jpg

P3070005.jpg

paulgibson

Reaction score
IMAGE#1

IMAGE#2

Ill take the Green one. that looks sick! [/quote]

Does it have the flu?

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Latest Threads