Considering a Set of Wolfetones

stephen78

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the Marshallhead bridge with an A5...but I like mine set a little lower away from the strings. Still retains that awesome PAF honk but it’s a little less in your face and more open sounding that way. The Dr. Vintage is a great set as well!

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve settled on Legends with a flipped magnet in the neck. Very excited but I need to drum up the discretionary funds for the purchase.

hamerfan

Reaction score
He does also a underwound Marshallhead, called Marshallhead 2. This would be a nice compliment for my Dr. Vintage neck. At the moment it teams up with a Lollar Bridge.

Gryphon

Reaction score
He does also a underwound Marshallhead, called Marshallhead 2. This would be a nice compliment for my Dr. Vintage neck. At the moment it teams up with a Lollar Bridge.
I've just ordered a set of the Marshallhead v2s. I'm after a set that is close to the Greenie Les Paul, including the mag flip. Wolfe has confirmed that the Marshallhead v2 is a softer wind and softer magnet than the Marshallhead. So the specs for the Marshallhead v2 (both wind and magnets) sit right between his DrVintage and Marshallhead products and should be ideal for what I want.

Talking to Wolfe I learned that he is looking for more youtube clips of you guys playing the Marshallhead v2s, so if any of you have them fitted perhaps you can help him out.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm after a set that is close to the Greenie Les Paul, including the mag flip.
Same here. I'm going with the Legends but checked with Wolfe to make sure a magnet flip was possible.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger a few minutes ago. Bought a set of Legends with a magnet flip. Also bought a matched set of VIPots to install with them.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pickups arrived this morning! kOhm Quad of VIPots came this afternoon!

All wired up and ready for full volume test tomorrow.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was able to get everything wired up but I had to take everything back out to chase a nasty buzz. I plan on rewiring tomorrow but was able to fire off a video.

As always, you can always expect the utmost subpar playing from me. I’d have it no other way:

Last edited:

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after chasing down some buzz issues and shielding my cavities, I was able to play through the Wolfetone Legends at volume today.

They are wonderful. Very three dimensional with lots of overtones and dynamics. I still need to play with the height and pole pieces some but right now i could not be happier with my purchase.

These are the best pickups I have ever owned.

Gryphon

Reaction score
My Wolfetone Marshallhead V2s have turned out to be an excellent investment. The guitar has much more clarity and a wider range of useable tones. Highly recommended for those still enduring the 490R/498T in their LPs.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update:

I have had the Legends now for a few weeks but have only had them wired in with my cavities shielded for about a week or so.

The Bridge pickup is awesome. It has a good combination of high end grit and crunch without being thin. It works very well with the VIPots and I notice that 5 on the tone control is about where my "launchpad" is. Responds very well to control manipulations and balances well with the neck.

The Neck pickup is wonderful. balances well, has a good amount of presence and high end with the tone contro0l on about 6-7 and I still have a few more ticks if I need some more. Sounds great with the tone rolled off and again, reacts well to manipulations using the VIPots.

As great as the individual pickup sounds are, I'd argue the real magic is in the middle OOP tones. I'm not sure what Wolfe is doing or if it is just a happy accident but these 2 pickups together give me the broadest range of OOP tones I have ever had. As usual, it's most nasal and honking with matching volumes but to my surprise, I have almost 4 whole ticks on either volume control to play with before one pickup dominates the other. It's incredible. I would say maximum range for actual OOP tones is something like 3.5 ticks on the knob. It gives you an incredible range to play with for OOP tones.

@WolfeMacleod Thank you. These are by far the most expressive, lively, and all together versatile PAF style pickups I have ever owned or played.

Gryphon

Reaction score

As great as the individual pickup sounds are, I'd argue the real magic is in the middle OOP tones. I'm not sure what Wolfe is doing or if it is just a happy accident but these 2 pickups together give me the broadest range of OOP tones I have ever had. As usual, it's most nasal and honking with matching volumes but to my surprise, I have almost 4 whole ticks on either volume control to play with before one pickup dominates the other. It's incredible. I would say maximum range for actual OOP tones is something like 3.5 ticks on the knob. It gives you an incredible range to play with for OOP tones.
Did you have the magnet flipped for one pickup (like me), or are you getting all that honk in middle position despite being in phase?

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have the magnet flipped for one pickup (like me), or are you getting all that honk in middle position despite being in phase?
I had Wolfe flip a magnet.

jcsk8

Reaction score
Bought my first Dr. V pair about eight years ago. NEver looked back. They just do what I need and sound killer. After that I bought another set and this year grabbed a spare one around and sticked in the middle of a custm LP. (originally two pickps, converted into a three one).
They are awesome.

ezra1

Reaction score
Just curious.....do you have any volume loss in the middle position ?

AcVox

Reaction score
I'm hoping, that while Wolfe is around I could ask a question about the middle OOP tones EpiLP1985 was discussing ?

The OOP tones of T Bone Walker's Gibson ES-5, the three pickup Les Paul Custom and perhaps even BB Kings ES355 Stereo Varitone all apparently have the bridge 'bucker magnet flipped rather than the neck that we are all accustomed to.

I just didn't want this opertunity to pass without the chance to ask Wolfe his thoughts on the subject ?

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping, that while Wolfe is around I could ask a question about the middle OOP tones EpiLP1985 was discussing ?

The OOP tones of T Bone Walker's Gibson ES-5, the three pickup Les Paul Custom and perhaps even BB Kings ES355 Stereo Varitone all apparently have the bridge 'bucker magnet flipped rather than the neck that we are all accustomed to.

I just didn't want this opertunity to pass without the chance to ask Wolfe his thoughts on the subject ?
I think B.B. King’s “quackier” tones were a function of the varitone itself, no?

I’m not sure it makes a difference which magnet is flipped. I’ve flipped both before on other sets and heard no discernible difference.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious.....do you have any volume loss in the middle position ?
At maximum “quack” (equivalent volumes) there is some volume drop but I don’t usually play there. I favor one pickup or the other and go 2-3 ticks down on the volume of whatever I want the non-dominant pickup to be. Under gain, the middle position OOP sound actually cuts and grinds quite well.

Gryphon

Reaction score
I think B.B. King’s “quackier” tones were a function of the varitone itself, no?

I’m not sure it makes a difference which magnet is flipped. I’ve flipped both before on other sets and heard no discernible difference.
My pair has the bridge magnet flipped. Overall it has same effect as when I had the neck flipped on my old 490R/498T combo. From an electrical engineering point of view there is no difference.

Latest Threads