Considering a Set of Wolfetones

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just want to reach out to get a feel for what might work best for me.

I’m a B.B. King, Peter Green, Duane Allman, Bloomfield, etc. fan. I’m playing through a 5W Single Ended EL84 amp and a n Epiphone Les Paul Standard 50s.

The Dr. Vintage and Legends caught my eye but also a Bridge position Marshallhead.

Any tips?

David Garner

Reaction score
I had the Dr. Vintage set for a few years — I actually bought them in the classifieds here. They’re exactly what you’re looking for.

AJK1

Reaction score
Save up
I’d get a Gibson guitar and it’ll have better pickups already in it

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the Dr. Vintage set for a few years — I actually bought them in the classifieds here. They’re exactly what you’re looking for.
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I currently have Nickel Duncan 59s.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a set of Dr V's and regret letting them get away with the guitar. My favorite set to date, particularly for the style you list. Highly recommend.

David Garner

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I currently have Nickel Duncan 59s.
59s are great too. They’re trying to accomplish different things though. The 59s are wax potted and have A5 magnets. They sound great, but they aren’t the same as unpotted low wind A2 pickups.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
59s are great too. They’re trying to accomplish different things though. The 59s are wax potted and have A5 magnets. They sound great, but they aren’t the same as unpotted low wind A2 pickups.
I won't spam this thread with others of mine but I've documented some of the changes I've made to my Standard 50s. I liked the Probuckers and traditionally have had some A2 equipped PAF'ish pickups in other guitars. I think the combo of the A2 magnets and the construction methods in the Probuckers made them a little mushy and squishy to my ears. They sounded great clean but in overdrive conditions didnt give the attack and top end I would have liked.

I ended up swapping the 59s from my #2, which is a modified Squier Standard HH straocaster, into the Standard 50s and put the probuckers in there. They are much happier in a longer scale guitar where the extra zing and attack helps them out. The 59s improved the tone of the Standard 50s in a good way: brighter, a sharper attack, and better overdriven tones but also with some raggedness in the high end.

So, here we are. It seems that the Dr. Vintage pickups may be the middle ground between my two previous choices that works. I will say I used to have a unpotted BB #1 and #2 set with A2 magents and loved those in my old Epiphone Standard.

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Just some advice, make sure you get the Dr. Vintage from Wolfe's website. I'm not sure where things are at right now, but someone he knew was trying to steal the name and marketing his own pickups as 'Dr.Vintage'. I did a quick look and can't find the other site so maybe Wolfe finally shut him down, but just be aware. Wolfe's pickups are the real deal!

bluesoul

Reaction score
Any tips?
I recently created a thread about the Marshallhead set. Great set btw, but after a few weeks (and some hind sight) I would have gone with A2's. I ended up swapping in a set of CS pearly Gates which ended up working better for me. The Marshallhead set will get a mag swap and go in another guitar....worth keeping for sure.
Based on what I am reading from you, the Legends or Dr.V Should fit your needs! If you are considering the Marshallhead for the bridge...I would go with A2's!

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a set of dr. vintage pups in a carvin sh550 and they were complete gold. super awesome pups.

luis

Reaction score
I still own 3 Wolfe sets: 2 Dr. Vs selected magnets (aged nickel and gold) an a Legends non aged set. Thay are amazing!

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still own 3 Wolfe sets: 2 Dr. Vs selected magnets (aged nickel and gold) an a Legends non aged set. Thay are amazing!
I’m leaning toward a Non-Aged Nickel Legends set with a flipped magnet in the neck.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I had a pair with the Legend in the neck and Marshallhead in the bridge. In my guitar it ended up pretty unbalanced. Wolfe has been good to deal with and is trying to sort it out. I am not sure if other winders would take that sort of effort and appreciate it.

Deftone

Reaction score
I can only comment on Blisterbuckers and the Mean/Meanest P90's, but I love them. Wolfe is super cool, and awesome to deal with. I have couple Strat Bitch single coils waiting to be installed as well. I wouldn't hesitate to order more Wolfetones.

Metlking

Reaction score
I have several sets of Marshallhead A2 bridge/Dr Vintage neck. Soooooo love them! I want to try the Legends at some point. I have Wolfetone P90's as well. I don't think he could make a bad sounding pickup. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide!

E.X

Reaction score
I've a question, as i see the Wolfetones coming up real often; and given the nature of the OP, this doesn't seem like a bad place to mention this.

How would Dr vintage (or whatever other set's equivalent) compare to Throbak's SLE 101?

ARandall

Reaction score
What I've found is each winder will have their own personality in what they wind.
You might get similar pickup specs, but they will have certain characteristics from the person designing the wind.

bp-plickner

Reaction score
Throbak SLE pickups always sound kind of sterile to me. The ThroBak ER- Custom in my Collings City Limits sound really good, musical And organic. Wolfetone Dr V sound organic and musical. Looks like Wolfetone still has it’s COVID25 sale on. Has to be the best deal on humbuckers out there!

Latest Threads