Considering A Mod On A Custom

GrandJunction

Reaction score
Long story short - I have long wanted a Gibson 3-pickup Black Beauty Custom. (I already have an Epiphone version, and don't normally care about the name on the headstock, but this is my one 'dream guitar' indulgence.) I have recently considerd saving a couple of thousand dollars by buying a black Custom and having a middle pickup installed by a VERY competant local luthier. I was thinking of having the middle pickup work on a simple push/pull pot.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. - Not sure what pickup would normally go in the middle position . . .

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the desire to do so, but I wouldn’t.

3-pickup Black Beauties are greatly associated with the ’57 Reissue, which has many different features than a Regular Custom - Mahogany cap/full body, long tenon, no weight relief, ABR1, to name a few.

So you would wind up with a modded Custom that resembles a ’57 BB esthetically, but completely off in specs. Which would also surely decrease its value in case you ever need to sell it.

That’s not to underrate Les Paul Customs, I love them, but I love them for what they are. I would save up a little more and get the real deal.

PS: I think the middle pickup is usually the same as the neck pickup.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for an all mahogany body, or one with a maple cap? The latter of course would be lighter.

I would agree with @Shelkonnery re the resale value, but I wouldn't be too concerned about that personally, especially since you've wanted one for so long, which would indicate to me that you're unlikely to sell it, but you never know?

I believe in general, the pups would match, with the middle pup being a bit "hotter" than the neck, but not as "hot" as the bridge.

The push/pull pot idea is interesting. What are you trying to accomplish with that? Is that to activate/deactivate it? If so, you can accomplish the same thing using the Frampton wiring where the traditional bridge volume/tone pots control the middle pup. If it's "On", you can blend it with the respective pup by using the pups selector switch.

:cheers2:

GrandJunction

Reaction score
Thanks both Shel and Midnight for your replies - they are much appreciated.

The general thought behind my modification idea is so that I can still get the standard 2-pickup Les Paul sound with the switch in the middle position - and by adding a push/pull pot to the middle pickup, I can bring extra tonal variations to the guitar which might not be available with a standard 3-pickup model. (My Epiphone Les Paul has been rewired to a similar configuration, and it works very nicely for mel).

So far this is just a vague daydream, and I would have to talk with my luthier to make sure that he thinks it can be properly accomplished; (he is a real stickler for exacting detail).

integra evan

Reaction score
Here's my take on it - when you get the regular 2 pickup Custom, play with it like that for a while. You may just find you like it exactly as is and wouldn't want to make any significant mods to it.
Or, like mentioned above, save up a bit more and get one that already comes from the factory with the 3 pickups. You can always change the switching up on that, and it's easily reversible should you ever need to sell.
Also, if it's a dream guitar, I personally think its worth it to save up a bit more.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks both Shel and Midnight for your replies - they are much appreciated.

The general thought behind my modification idea is so that I can still get the standard 2-pickup Les Paul sound with the switch in the middle position - and by adding a push/pull pot to the middle pickup, I can bring extra tonal variations to the guitar which might not be available with a standard 3-pickup model. (My Epiphone Les Paul has been rewired to a similar configuration, and it works very nicely for mel).

So far this is just a vague daydream, and I would have to talk with my luthier to make sure that he thinks it can be properly accomplished; (he is a real stickler for exacting detail).

:thumb:

FYI, with the "Frampton Wiring", you can still get the normal blended neck/bridge tone with the switch in the middle position by simply turning the traditional bridge volume pot off.

full

p8N4DHA.jpg

NXCDvH7.jpg

As I mentioned though, the push/pull pot is an interesting idea.

:cheers2:

Dazza

Reaction score
There's another recent thread with info relative to your topic.
I typically use the middle position with Gibsons so wanted that option when I acquired a 3 pu Custom. I discuss the wiring in the other thread. While I really enjoy the middle pickup having a few years of experience actually using it I doubt I would invest in adding one to a conventional LP. Having more guitars is always better !

Daz

Last edited:

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Or, like mentioned above, save up a bit more and get one that already comes from the factory with the 3 pickups.
It's more like a lot more.

I'm kind of in a similar boat to OP. My "next guitar" is a 3 pickup BB with a bigsby. However, I have two young kids, am about to move my entire family from Japan to Canada and I'm going back to college. Another guitar is not on the cards for a long time. And I also really want an eds 1275 so I can throw some 12 string stuff into my love playing.

I already have three customs.
9eIBDsC.jpeg

And even though I love all of them, I absolutely hate the garbage 490r + 498t set that the two on the left have. So I was thinking of converting the BB on the right. Get a matched set of three unpotted paf types and slap a bigsby on there. I was also thinking of a pair of t top clones for the white custom, which seems fitting given the white customs are kind of a 70s creation.

A pickup swap is definitely on the cards for both of my Hb customs, but whether I go the extra mile and convert the BB to a 3 pickup is up in the air.

Dazza

Reaction score

I'm kind of in a similar boat to OP. My "next guitar" is a 3 pickup BB with a bigsby. However, I have two young kids, am about to move my entire family from Japan to Canada and I'm going back to college. Another guitar is not on the cards for a long time. And I also really want an eds 1275 so I can throw some 12 string stuff into my love playing.

9eIBDsC.jpeg

And even though I love all of them, I absolutely hate the garbage 490r + 498t set that the two on the left have. So I was thinking of converting the BB on the right. Get a matched set of three unpotted paf types and slap a bigsby on there. I was also thinking of a pair of t top clones for the white custom, which seems fitting given the white customs are kind of a 70s creation.

A pickup swap is definitely on the cards for both of my Hb customs, but whether I go the extra mile and convert the BB to a 3 pickup is up in the air.
I'd agree on the pickup swap regardless. Though I did experiment with my 89 Custom swapping out the Bill Lawrence circuit pickups and wiring for CTS 50s style and various PAF types. The end result was less than impressive. I put it back stock and left it alone. 33 years since buying it I much prefer 50's style Historics so it goes unplayed.

The cost of adding a 3rd pickup and buying a Bigsby should be considerable. Replacing that Custom with a used LPC B3 could work out being less. My used '97 was under $5000 Canadian. Just a thought. I'm well aware how attached we can be to our guitars. I've hated selling any of mine.

Daz

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story short - I have long wanted a Gibson 3-pickup Black Beauty Custom. (I already have an Epiphone version, and don't normally care about the name on the headstock, but this is my one 'dream guitar' indulgence.) I have recently considerd saving a couple of thousand dollars by buying a black Custom and having a middle pickup installed by a VERY competant local luthier. I was thinking of having the middle pickup work on a simple push/pull pot.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. - Not sure what pickup would normally go in the middle position . . .
I would stick with the original BB wiring and avoid push/pull pots.
The Bonamassa Black Beauty used a PB3 in the bridge, and PB2s for the middle and neck.

LPC.jpg

truckermde

Reaction score

9eIBDsC.jpeg

I'm gonna keep that picture, dude.

So dreamy...

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
I'd agree on the pickup swap regardless. Though I did experiment with my 89 Custom swapping out the Bill Lawrence circuit pickups and wiring for CTS 50s style and various PAF types. The end result was less than impressive. I put it back stock and left it alone. 33 years since buying it I much prefer 50's style Historics so it goes unplayed.

The cost of adding a 3rd pickup and buying a Bigsby should be considerable. Replacing that Custom with a used LPC B3 could work out being less. My used '97 was under $5000 Canadian. Just a thought. I'm well aware how attached we can be to our guitars. I've hated selling any of mine.

Daz

I also hate selling guitars. If I do go the conversion route, the Bigsby will probably be attached via Vibramate. So if the day comes and I end up getting a 3 pu B7 with bigsby, I can take the bigsby off the custom and have a three pickup with bigsby and a three pickup without.

I'm gonna keep that picture, dude.

So dreamy...

Go ahead.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Relatable. I have to hit like every time I see them.
@Slashperryburst what year are these three beauties? (The right one is a '54 RI, right?)
From left to right, a 2014, 2002 and 2019. The 2019 is actually a '55ri. I've no idea what exactly sets it apart from a '54, except that at the same time this "Japan exclusive '55 custom RI" hit the stores, wildwood had a limited run of '54 reissue customs.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
From left to right, a 2014, 2002 and 2019. The 2019 is actually a '55ri. I've no idea what exactly sets it apart from a '54, except that at the same time this "Japan exclusive '55 custom RI" hit the stores, wildwood had a limited run of '54 reissue customs.

I don't think there's really much that separates the two, except maybe some of the appointments like the volume/tone knobs and macine heads?

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A forstner bit, good template and unabashed bravery…
i would do it to every guitar if time allowed

all mine are v-v-v-master tone the middle pup always hot so u can bring it in on any setting…

except the warmoth 12 string…those are splittable…every volume is push/pull

i can answer any questions u have…I’m not a luthier btw…not even a talented woodworker imho…but I am brave and want my stuff to suit me…resale be damned

F05B71C6-53D8-4AA4-87EF-E3AD54A1B63B.jpeg
46F6B7FB-C243-4EFA-89D7-8571999792C7.jpeg
EC36912F-A581-4B9D-9E1E-0A2E59103005.jpeg
29A32198-8E85-4919-8A68-2AD0469EC699.jpeg
93C803C2-B5F7-4FEB-AAFF-5E33A89C5FF3.jpeg
8FAFD0EF-279A-4603-A499-C165696F311F.jpeg
5E2E20CB-10F7-464A-BBD6-B1460BE2AD4E.jpeg
E9B633FA-2B8E-4FF6-A945-5658B4BB709C.jpeg
FE97B86D-FFC4-4141-9635-3A760ADCC4FD.jpeg

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the only 3 pup I bought as a 3 pup..
I normally cant find the color I want with 3 pups….plus its tons of fun routing and wiring 3rd pups…

ive had 1 or 2 routed into wood by bryant at Charlie’s in Dallas…think I paid $200 for the wood route…

anyhow, this explanation of wiring is how I do all mine

pictured is my nashville…having a 3rd pup is life changing imho

7060EF75-CA31-4D61-BD20-5B61F5BB36C6.jpeg
E3D909F1-A27C-490F-915B-F258B722BFD2.jpeg
42CCB696-9A66-42BE-9151-4DBB19DA3DF6.jpeg

joachimlefty

Reaction score
Have you considered the Freeway switch ? I suggest checking their website, they show a lot of possibilities for a three pickup guitar. The switch is mentioned in other topics on this forum, just search for it.

Latest Threads