Connecting 2 cabinets to one input jack?

Mike M

Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, but I want to connect 2 of my 1x12 cabinets into my new Kemper amp head. The Kemper only has 1 cabinet jack for 8-16 ohm cabs. Is there a box or adapter that I can plug both cabinets into and then run 1 cord into the head? Is this safe for the amp? Both 1x12 cabs are currently 8 ohms each. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, but I want to connect 2 of my 1x12 cabinets into my new Kemper amp head. The Kemper only has 1 cabinet jack for 8-16 ohm cabs. Is there a box or adapter that I can plug both cabinets into and then run 1 cord into the head? Is this safe for the amp? Both 1x12 cabs are currently 8 ohms each. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Hey Mike, there are never dumb questions.....the only way to do this is to run the speakers parallel or in series. Some cabs have a parallel jack already installed, I assume yours don't. If they do, plug one speaker into the other and one speaker into the Kemper output, make sure it can run at 4 ohms. If this isn't the case, the easiest way out would be to build either a parallel or series box. I'd side with using a series box, because IMO, they are easier to wire up, especially if you use quick-disconnects.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If our cabs can not be daisy chained together (and they would have to be hooked in series. Many cabs daisy chain port puts the 2nd cab in parallel, which in your case would be a 4 ohm load), then you want a Y speaker cable.

Like these http://procablesnsound.com/items/Speaker-Y-Cables/list.htm

But, your Kemper has another option. You could run your mains out to a separate power amp that has 2 channels, or two outputs.

Or you could just get a 2x12 cab.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Are you handy at simple soldering and wiring? If so, I picked up a little project box from Radio Shack, along with three 1/4" mono female jacks. (The same kind of jack as the one in your guitar).

I drilled three holes in the box and mounted the three jacks. Then I wired two of the jacks in series to the third jack. This allowed me to plug two 4 ohm speakers into two of the jacks, then plug the third jack into the 8 ohm output of the amp.

Syrus

Reaction score
Just curious what they cost? I built my series box for about $10.
25€ incl. shipping.

Selfmade over here would come down to 4 x 2,5€ for the jacks (Switchcraft) and around 8 to 12€ for a proper aluminium (Hammond) casing PLUS 7€ shipping & handling, so coming in at 25€ to 29€. Going by the idea that speaker wire can be salvaged.

No warranty on your own creation, plus should it fail, then it will most likely kill your output transformer. :naughty:

With this you get warranty - and should it fail - then you could probably hold Palmer responsible for the damage caused to your amp. :welcome:

Mike M

Reaction score
Any chance you can send me the schematic for your series box? I tried to build one today and can't figure out what is going wrong. I bought all of the components to build one like the Palmer, but nothing worked. UGH. Any schematics or pics of the wiring would be much appreciated. Thanks

Just curious what they cost? I built my series box for about $10.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Any chance you can send me the schematic for your series box? I tried to build one today and can't figure out what is going wrong. I bought all of the components to build one like the Palmer, but nothing worked. UGH. Any schematics or pics of the wiring would be much appreciated. Thanks
Hi Mike, here's what I did and it worked well. You need:

-3 jacks
-a small jobs box
-speaker wire (12-16 ga)
-soldering stuff or 6 quick disconnects
-drill with 1/4 inch bit, strong enough to drill through the box.

On one side of the box, drill two holes, and on the other, one. These holes will be for the jacks. The one sided jack will be for the output from the Kemper, the two side jacks will be for the speakers.

You can install the jacks and solder/connect them in the box. You might find it easier to do the connections first.

Connection path: From the one-side jack attach wire to the positive post. Attach the other end of that to the positive post on one of the two-sided jacks. Then, attach another wire to the negative post of that two-sided jack. Attach the other end of that wire to the positive post of the 2nd two-sided jack. Finally attach a wire to the negative post of that jack to the negative post on the one-sided jack. Check for continuity, make sure all connections are solid, plug in and RAWK!:thumb:

Mike M

Reaction score
Thanks! I now know what I did wrong.

Hi Mike, here's what I did and it worked well. You need:

-3 jacks
-a small jobs box
-speaker wire (12-16 ga)
-soldering stuff or 6 quick disconnects
-drill with 1/4 inch bit, strong enough to drill through the box.

On one side of the box, drill two holes, and on the other, one. These holes will be for the jacks. The one sided jack will be for the output from the Kemper, the two side jacks will be for the speakers.

You can install the jacks and solder/connect them in the box. You might find it easier to do the connections first.

Connection path: From the one-side jack attach wire to the positive post. Attach the other end of that to the positive post on one of the two-sided jacks. Then, attach another wire to the negative post of that two-sided jack. Attach the other end of that wire to the positive post of the 2nd two-sided jack. Finally attach a wire to the negative post of that jack to the negative post on the one-sided jack. Check for continuity, make sure all connections are solid, plug in and RAWK!:thumb:

Mike M

Reaction score
Hold that... still not working. I connected 2 of my 16ohm cabs into the serial box and measured the Ohms with a multimeter. It came out as 16 ohms. How can 16 ohms + 16 ohms= 16ohms? I have to be doing something wrong. Here is a pic of what I did. Looking at the pic, the left jack is cab 2, center is to amp and right is cab 1. See anything that is not connected properly?

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Hold that... still not working. I connected 2 of my 16ohm cabs into the serial box and measured the Ohms with a multimeter. It came out as 16 ohms. How can 16 ohms + 16 ohms= 16ohms? I have to be doing something wrong. Here is a pic of what I did. Looking at the pic, the left jack is cab 2, center is to amp and right is cab 1. See anything that is not connected properly?

I would assume you are wanting to be wired in parallel to achieve an 8 ohm load from two 16 ohm speakers.

Here is a parallel setup...

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score

Sorry Mike, I'm confused. You mentioned that you had two 8 ohm cabs. If this is the case, then it makes sense that your reading is 16 ohms.

Mike M

Reaction score
You are correct. The second 8 ohm speaker I have is being delivered tomorrow. Right now I have 2 16ohm and 1 8 ohm. I am testing the series box with 2 16ohms to make sure the series box works. I am basing all of this on tomorrow when I install the 8ohm in the cab.

Sorry Mike, I'm confused. You mentioned that you had two 8 ohm cabs. If this is the case, then it makes sense that your reading is 16 ohms.

Latest Threads