Congrats to the Toronto Raptors

mtgguitar

Reaction score
The faces the players make when getting called for a foul are very funny.

PeteK

Reaction score
I honestly didn't know there was an NBA team called the Raptors. Congratulations to them. I don't follow much basketball, but I know enough to know that Golden State is the real deal and tough to beat

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Basketball died after the Lakers-Celtics, Johnson/Bird era passed.

Now, it's all just a bunch of gangstas, in yo face mutha-fuka, skill-less play yard bad boys, strutting around as if what they are doing matters one iota in the real world. There is no art to the game any longer.

Boo.

rxbandit

Reaction score
Congrats to the Raptors, hurts a bit as it could have been the Bucks...

Looking forward to the next few years! Things have definitely opened up with the 2 huge injuries that hit Golden State. Durant and Klay Thompson out for likely all of next year is an absolutely enormous blow

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hate basketball, but glad to see Toronto win. GREAT sports city.

Between the Jays and the Leafs, they aren't gonna see a championship any time soon. Glad the city can celebrate something. I was one year old the last time the Leafs won the cup and still have hope for the Jays to win another championship one day. :)

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No, seriously. Basketball was "mainstream" in that era. There were (I hate to use this word in today's society) HEROS in the game, who the general population identified with. The game was a game of skill and art... not "ram it down your throat, bitch".

These days, it does not really have an identity with main street.

Reactions: fry

rxbandit

Reaction score
No, seriously. Basketball was "mainstream" in that era. There were (I hate to use this word in today's society) HEROS in the game, who the general population identified with. The game was a game of skill and art... not "ram it down your throat, bitch".

Gotta say you're way out of touch here, NBA popularity has grown exponentially in recent years and has surpassed both the MLB and NFL by many accounts. Your account of how the game is played nowadays is also way out of touch..

NBA stars are superstars for a huge segment of the population, and the sport is incredibly mainstream

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/martin-rogers/2018/10/15/nba-america-fans-favorite-pastime/1652952002/

https://www.complex.com/sports/2018/10/why-the-nba-has-surpassed-the-nfl-as-americas-sports

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
Basketball died after the Lakers-Celtics, Johnson/Bird era passed.

Now, it's all just a bunch of gangstas, in yo face mutha-fuka, skill-less play yard bad boys, strutting around as if what they are doing matters one iota in the real world. There is no art to the game any longer.

Boo.
LOL You're the youngest grumpy old man I know. :)

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Basketball in the 80s as much as I loved it was played by 5 superstars and a league of used car salesman. The skill in the game now is probably close to 10x better if not more. I love the nostalgia of bird, magic and Mike don't get me wrong. But if you go throughout the rosters of the bulls, Knicks, Celtics, pistons, Houston, Utah, some of the best teams of that era and look at the players it's purely laughable when you compare it to nowadays.

And I suppose congrats to Toronto for beating a broken super team. I actually hate Golden State cause I'm not into dynastys. But I couldn't cheer for Toronto after they crushed my bucks.

rogue3

Reaction score
Its true,basketball today is not for old guys.Their(raptors) fanbase is huge,hip and young. The old boys can go back to golf.
The entire playoff run was amazing, and deserves the recognition it is getting.It was left right there on the floor for all to see.we are the champions.This was an earned win,not an automatic coronation.

PeteK

Reaction score

There were 4 channels and shit else to watch back then.