Confusion on Gibson Custom Logo - is this a fake?

woody1212

Reaction score
Hi all,

New guy here looking to buy an authentic Zakk Wylde LP Custom bullseye. Did alot of research and found the most common ways to spot fakes. Have found a possible authentic one but am only not sure about the Gibson Custom emblem on the back. Some have a simple Gibson Custom wording at the bottom of the headstock back, and some have this gold emblem Gibson custom emblem
zw back head.JPG
zw back head.JPG
zw head front.JPG
zk bridge.JPG
side zw.JPG
. Is the gold emblem a fake? everything else checks out from the bridge, certificate, nut, knobs, switches, tuners, etc. Can anyone here assist? please and thank you.

T00DEEPBLUE

Reaction score
One of the surefire ways you can tell that a Gibson LP is real is that the lacquer around the diamond and the logo are cracked, like on that guitar.

Chinese fakes never do that because poly finishes never crack that way. The finish is too flexible. Also, the diamonds and Gibson logos on those fakes are never inlays either, they're always stickers. Even if the guitar was finished in nitro, if the inlays are stickers, the lacquer still wouldn't show any of the cracks that guitar exhibits.

It's prohibitively expensive for Chinese sweat shops to inlay the headstock diamond and Gibson logo and finish the guitar in nitro, so a Gibson with those cracks is a very good sign that it's legit.

Last edited:

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real Deal Custom,......that is an older Custom Shop Decal......the newer decal is squarer.....though the other details like the tapered headstock (the side view shows a slight taper,..thicker from the nut to the top) a common Custom Shop detail. Very real.:cool:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
A lot of ZW fakes out there but that one is legit.

woody1212

Reaction score
Thank you to all for your input and advice. It is greatly appreciated. This forum is excellent and I hope to help and support it as much as I can. best regards all. K

Macronaut

Reaction score
Thank you to all for your input and advice. It is greatly appreciated. This forum is excellent and I hope to help and support it as much as I can. best regards all. K
We'll see......

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the MLP :)

Latest Threads