Confused by Ohms

Agave_Blue

Reaction score
Ran across a statement regards an amp external speaker output: "Minimum total impedance is 16 ohms".

So can it run, for example, a 2 x 12 cabinet with 8 ohm speakers (total impedance 4 ohms)?

You'd think it would, but that's less than the minimum impedance. Is it just a poorly worded instruction?

It's from the Owners Manual for a Peavey Classic 30, btw. This is exactly what it says:

EXTERNAL SPEAKER JACK (13)

This is provided for connection of an external speaker cabinet. Minimum total impedance is 16 ohms.

hipofutura

Reaction score
No, it cannot drive the 4 ohm 2x12. But, the 2x12 could be re-wired for 16 ohms. Don't run a tube amp with a speaker load that is less than the manufacturer requires.

Agave_Blue

Reaction score
No problem, I understand that.

I'm just having a hard time understanding if this poorly worded or if it really means 16 Ohm MINIMUM load.

It's odd because a lot of external speakers/cabinets are LESS than 16 ohms to start with. So why make an external out that's not very usable with what is commonly available?

Indyclone

Reaction score
Some amps are designed for 4 ohms...

and you can get 4 ohms or 16 ohms out of a 2x12 with two 8 ohm speakers...

Agave_Blue

Reaction score
So, for example, a 32 or 64 ohm load would be OK?

(I think that'd be 4 or 8, 8-ohm speakers in series).

It's the use of "minimum" that is confusing me. The other handful of amps I've looked at are not open ended like that. They have a SPECIFIC impedance rating.

Marshall Haze, for example 8 Ohm or 16 Ohm (2 different output jacks) : "The safe combinations are 1x16 Ohm or 1x8 Ohm only."

Fender Blues Jr: "any quality 8–ohm external speaker cabinet that you choose."

Vox VT Series: "Don't use an external speaker whose impedance is other than 8 ohms."

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is quite confusing. The spec I see on the amp is
30 watts (RMS) into 16 or 8 ohms

so I assume the speaker in there is a 16ohm, I'd guess the ext speaker needs to be 16ohm, in parallel that'd give you 8ohm then.

I think they mean minimum impedance to the ext jack then.

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
...I think they mean minimum impedance to the ext jack then.
Bingo. When you plug into the ext. jack (which is a switching jack), the 8 ohm tap on the output transformer comes into play for running two 16 ohm speakers (onboard & external).

Latest Threads