confused about my toggle switch wiring

mazzerman

Reaction score
I am just replacing the pots and caps on my 88 standard with CTS 500k and Russian PIO caps.
my pickups are the Bill Lawrence circuit board model.
I have wired as per the 50's wiring diagram but all i am getting is massive hum when i touch the strings and very low output from the pups and also the volume pot stays at the same volume whatever postion.
Its all a bit weird.
i have grounded the pots to the bridge post, all the pots are earthed to each other the caps go from bottom lug on tone to middle lug on vol with correct wire from switch, pickup hot wire goes to lower lug of vol pot and earth goes to pot casing.
The only thing that i am not 100% on is the switch. there 3 connections on one side which are white on outside going to center lug of vol pot with cap, red on the other side going to center lug of other vol pot with cap.
There is a center green wire with a stranded wire attached as well ( thought that was ground wire to output jack socket).
then on the other side of the switch there is a black wire that is split to 2 plates (i thought that i thought was the hot wire to the output jack socket)
Iv probably got an earthing problem somewhere.
Does anyone know what the switch configuration is on this switch, i have not seen one in any of the diagrams on the site..
Regards
Marty

mazzerman

Reaction score
Ok ...after reading a great post by Jonesy, i realized i needed to solder the earth wire from the output jack to one of the pots
(previously earthed onto the base plate).
That sorted most of the problems, pickups now working and sounding quite good.
Just one more thing to work out.............all is quite untill i take my fingers away from the strings, when it then buzz's.
So something else needs earthing.
Any idea's welcome. :fingersx:

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Marty, can you post a picture of the wiring cavity?

mazzerman

Reaction score
Marty, can you post a picture of the wiring cavity?

Hi Matt
Here are a couple of pics but to be honest they're not very clear, theres a bit of wiring going on.
The problem is not so bad now.
It is only when i am not touching the strings i get a little bit of buzz, i can touch any metal part and it goes away.

AUT_0101.jpg

AUT_0103.jpg

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi Matt
Here are a couple of pics but to be honest they're not very clear, theres a bit of wiring going on.
The problem is not so bad now.
It is only when i am not touching the strings i get a little bit of buzz, i can touch any metal part and it goes away.

View attachment 38032

View attachment 38033

Yeah, tough to see with the photo's, but double check your solder joints and grounding points.

mazzerman

Reaction score
Yeah, tough to see with the photo's, but double check your solder joints and grounding points.

All seems OK except for one thing, on the attached picture of my Switchcraft toggle, there is a center green wire with an unshielded stranded wire, this is where i think my problem is, i don't know where these go.
If anyone has any ideas i think my buzz problem will go away.

Attachments

• AUT_0129.jpg
    AUT_0129.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 48

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All seems OK except for one thing, on the attached picture of my Switchcraft toggle, there is a center green wire with an unshielded stranded wire, this is where i think my problem is, i don't know where these go.
If anyone has any ideas i think my buzz problem will go away.

Green wire gets grounded.

Latest Threads