Communal showers. Why?

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I mean what the hell are designers thinking?
We're going to line 12 men up 6 in a row stark naked to shower without even a hint of privacy.
Shit just put someone in there to hose us down like cattle.

Who here has endured the communal shower, and did you think it was a bit odd??

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Who here has endured the communal shower, and did you think it was a bit odd??
Middle School Gym
High School Gym and High School Sports
College Dorms
College Health and Fitness Center
US Army basic Training (Reservist)
US AF Basic Training
US AF Technical School.
Offutt AFB Fitness Center/Gym
Public swimming pools
Several different pay Gyms
1 Corporate gym

Rob H.

Reaction score
What's weirder to me is that in my
middle school and high school, no one used the showers. Even if gym was first period. I had enough problems at that age as a horned out sweat machine. Negating my morning shower at home within 30 minutes of getting to school didn't help.

There was one kid who showered, people ragged on him for being "gay".

Travis19

Reaction score
Every hockey locker room I've ever been in (..and I've been in a lot).

I was brought up with hockey, so no, not odd at all.

..although come to think of it, perhaps most of us old-timer beer-league players should be hosed off like cattle.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I just copied cybermgk's and made a slight edit for my circumstances:

Middle School Gym
High School Gym and High School Sports
University Dorms
College Health and Fitness Center
Public swimming pools
Water parks
Several different pay Gyms

fur sure -

I never felt weird or awkward in any of the situations.
And I expect neither did anyone else there.

electric head

Just passing thru
Premium Member
Reaction score
In JR high school we had to take showers and afterwards the gym teacher would walk up and down the lockers brushing his hand on your back and it better had been wet.

They resembled this set up...
empty-shower-room-andersen-ross.jpg

In high school we were not required to take showers but you could if you wanted too.
They were always communal.

All through school the boys bathrooms never had doors on the stalls but the girls did..

lucidspoon

Reaction score
Middle school gym. But I think everybody wore swim trunks.

By college, I stopped caring. If someone wanted a peak, who am I to stop them. I always thought it was funny during a party when you'd have chicks using the guys' restrooms, but they'd freak out if a guy was in there taking a shower. Not my fault you can't find another restroom!

The ABSOLUTE WEIRDEST was when I was at one frat party and went to the restroom. The urinals were occupied, and there were no walls on the stalls. Luckily, i just had to piss, but that was weird enough, standing next to a dude with both of us pissing into regular toilets. I can't imagine taking a dump next to someone else...

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
The YMCA use to have communal showers. I have not been there in years. But I used them with no problem.

A bigger problem were the old guys (at the time old, now I am that age :laugh2: ), who would shave naked at the communal sinks. Junk dragging all over the cabinets. :laugh2:

As I recall our junior high gym lockers had communal showers (re-reading this thread seems I am not the only one :D ). And as I recall that was a freaking mad house of jokes and pranks that would probably get kids criminal records today. :laugh2: :shock:

The General

Reaction score
Every hockey locker room I've ever been in (..and I've been in a lot).

I was brought up with hockey, so no, not odd at all.

..although come to think of it, perhaps most of us old-timer beer-league players should be hosed off like cattle.
+1. And I've been in a lot, too. I've played in probably 12-15 different rinks around SE MI, and I can't think of a single one that didn't have a communal shower. And a couple had the crapper right out in the open, with nothing more than a waist high wall separating you from the rest of the locker room. If you were lucky there may be a door. At one I played at quite a bit, there was a bathroom shared between 2 locker rooms, separated by a door. One wall sink, one wall crapper, one wall shower. Toilet in open, not even a stall.

Heddok

Reaction score
Rag on a stick and then rinsed it in the flowing water. You can see the guy doing that in the upper left corner.
Inexpensive, better for the enviroment as no trees cut down for TP, bonding time with your fellow man....... who said modern times are better

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score

Latest Threads