Coming out of Retirement

Marshal

Reaction score
43630011Medium.jpg

I bought this "The Paul" from a high school friend in 1980. He bought her new in 79. I had told my daughter years ago that it would be hers one day since I had other guitars I quit gigging with it a couple of years ago. Recently the band wanted to take some cheap promo pic's and the guys said bring a guitar. I thought it would be a hoot for my daughter to see "Baby" (what I named the guitar way back when.) in the pictures. After holding her and playing her later that day I've decided to let her out of retirement this weekend. In the pic she's bone stock. I'm restringing her tonight and replacing the bridge pickup with a Dimarzo Super Distortion. I did this in 1980 mostly because I thought it was cool. LOL. I did however love the sound. I figure since the Classic Rock I'm playing now was the new songs I learned on this guitar back then it would only be right to put her back the was it was then. I even called my daughter and asked her what she thought since I think of it as hers I just haven't been able to part with it. She said she wondered why it took so long! You got to love that girl!

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My buddy has one of those, they are great guitars
kind of the early version of the Mahagony Studios

DDcat

Reaction score
Sweet!

A"The Paul" was my first Gibson. I bought it used in 82 or so for 350 bucks and played the crap out of it. I liked the stock "dirty fingers" pick ups. That guitar was the first one I owned that allowed me to get the tones I heard on my favorite records at the time. It had a nice, fast ebony board.

I eventually sold it like a fool and bought THE WORST FENDER STRATOCASTER EVER MADE. It was one from 83 when they dropped the extra tone control and put a flush mount jack in its place. It had a bridge that must have been designed and built by blind monkeys and it broke strings if you even THOUGHT about playing it. I suffered on with that turd far too long.

Anyhow, I'm getting side tracked here. Enjoy that guitar and thanks for the fuzzy memories.

Marshal

Reaction score
There is defintely nothing wrong with the sound of the stock pick ups. I think youth drove me to change them way back when then I put her back stock abou 10 years ago when that pick up died. It looks like she'll stay stock since I can't find my Super Distortion I have. I found the box but I put a different pick up in it. This means somewhere in my house is a JB box with a super distortion in it. No matter. Like DDcat said. The Dirty Fingers sounds great. She's cleaned and restrung and ready to go for the weekend!

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love the stock pickups i have on my new studio

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Cool axe. My buddy also had one back in the early 80's. Another bud had a "The SG". I coulda got that axe for 200 bucks and passed...agh....

Latest Threads