Combo Speakers: 10” VS 12”?

JMP

Reaction score
I’m not an expert nor do I have extensive experience, so I’m posing this inquiry to others for their expert opinions.
I have two awesome hand wired tube amps in my life: 10 watt British voiced Fender Champ in a Pro Jr chassis made by Carl’s Custom Amps and a hand wired Fender Deluxe Reverb.

They are apples and oranges. Both very different.

I really like the smooth and round character of the Deluxe. The Pro Jr has a lot more “bite” to it and the overall response of the amp is very immediate. When switching between amps, I find it challenging to acclimate to the Pro Jr. It’s overall character highlights everything with your playing and technique.......including mistakes and sloppy playing!

Would putting the Pro Jr in a new and larger combo cabinet with a 12” speaker smooth out the overall tone and feel of the amp?

Ideally, I’d plug the Pro Jr into some extension cabs and experiment, but I don’t have that option right now......and I figured this would be a fun discussion with my guitar colleagues!

ChuckHall03

Reaction score
Personally, I’ve always gone for 12” speakers in my tube amps. I find the sound to be much fuller and compliment my playing style better. Largely comes down to a matter or preference. I’m no expert on the matter, but have done a fair amount of research and played through a lot of different amps, unfortunately not the one in question. As I’m sure you know, there are a ton of options out there in the speaker world. If going to various stores in your area and playing through some extension cabs isn’t an option, maybe try the used market for some cabs/speakers. Lots of folks buy new ones and can’t return them if they don’t like how they sound, so resell at a discount. If you’re willing to put the work into reselling anything you aren’t fond of, at least you won’t take a big hit if you buy some options out there to take for a test drive after doing some research to narrow down your options. I just picked up a Princeton Reverb, which of course comes stock with a 10”. Luckily the stores near me had some limited options as well with 12” speakers and the range and tonal differences were night and day. Ended up with one with a Jenson P12q

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bud collects F PRs. One of his has a JBL 12". No comparison, blows his others away...

JMP

Reaction score
Can you not just plug the Champ into the Deluxe speaker / cab? It would give a rough idea...
Yeah, that’s a good recommendation I’d not even thought of. Sounds like a weekend project. Thank you!!

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you need is one of these and a 1/4" to 1/4" speker cable!

Make sure its actually a speaker cable and NOT just a shielded instrument cable!
Just Sayin'
Gene
I have a pair of those so I can make cabs out of several of my combos. I do have three 112 cabs, but eh, variety.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying Warehouse Guitar Speakers 10" Green Beret coupled with WGS Retro 10 (maybe 2 of each) in a 410 cab

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bud in the 70's played slide on his 57 Strat through a Traynor tube head (the head version of that nuclear super twin from hell) through two 15's....oh my ..... Second phrase in Statesboro Blues skinned five layers of hide off your face... Guitar, bigger the speaker more better and less speakers needed. Just my preference.

Ever in a store that has a Fender '65 Twin Custom 15 Reissue....Play that thing... Originals were JBL 15"s... I heard an original close up and personal when a teen. Finest amp I've ever heard...and I'm 63, Loved my Marshall half stack (white) in my full time days way back but would have traded even steven for one of those.

The fullness ∆ between a good 12 vs 10 is greater between 15 and 12... In MY opinion. Open back with a 12 or two is nice... 15 mo better...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying Warehouse Guitar Speakers 10" Green Beret coupled with WGS Retro 10 (maybe 2 of each) in a 410 cab
A 4 x 10 makes up the difference in my previous. Love tens for bass. Have three 4x10s at house...

Hell, I need to go into the Backline rental biz when things get back to normal... Too much stuff....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 4 x 10 makes up the difference in my previous. Love tens for bass. Have three 4x10s at house...

Hell, I need to go into the Backline rental biz when things get back to normal... Too much stuff....
Mixing would be cool!

I'd love an old Gib Gold Tone twin with a 12 and 10.... Great ideaI thought.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Me, too, and although I have no stacks, the sheer number of heads and combos make up for it.

DBDM

Reaction score
Mixing would be cool!

Just scrolling down to comment--"My answer is get both in the same Amp". I have a Super Goldtone and honestly it is shockingly good. These never sold well because like everything else Gibson, they were expensive. MSRP was $2600 (20 years ago I might add). Few wanted to pay more for a newer style Gibson amp when for that much money you could get a REALLY nice Marshall or Fender. That does not change the fact that it is a ridiculously awesome amp. I would rate my SuperGoldtone as one of the last possessions I own that I would never sell! It makes me a better player. Downside is it weighs around 100+ pounds with the case. (90+ alone). You can buy them online for usually under $1k. I recommend picking one up--I did.

edit--one thing I will add--If you do buy one online, TRY (try try try) to find one that comes with the 5 way foot pedal. Gibson offered this as an option and it is WELL worth the tiny bit more that it adds to the sales price of a used amp. The 2 way foot pedal (that was stock) is good but the 5 way one really opens up the opportunities. This amp was really designed to use that pedal and without it you are "missing it". Aftermarket ones can be purchased and they work great but they are in the $250 ish dollar range delivered. If you get a SuperGoltone, you are GOING to want one and you are likely to end up buying one. Take it on the chin and pay $100 more for an amp that has that included. Trust me on that one. You are welcome.

Edit of the Edit--this is the one I purchased. Says "sold out" but he makes them on order. If you want one, just message him and he will make you one
https://reverb.com/item/2335079-buggfx-5-button-footswitch-for-trace-elliot-speed-twin-gibson-super-goldtone-amplifier

Attachments

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always loved the sound of the '59 Fender Bassman combo w/ 4 10s. Never pulled the trigger, but those are fine sounding amps for guitars.
Bass players didn't much care for em, no headroom...
Guitarists loved em, no headroom...

;)

dasherf17

Reaction score
Mixing would be cool!

Check out Mr Mark's Music in Anoka Mn...I was in therein November with my cousin...I don't know if it's exactly the model you want, but my cuz told me it sounds great...Mark has a web page, but he doesn't list any stock. You'd have to talk to him...nice guy, tho...comes from my old stompin' grounds (Crow River area)...

Last edited:
Reactions: ehb

Latest Threads