Colour.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Definitely not tobacco--maybe iced tea? Sure is pretty, whatever they call it.

sparky2

Reaction score
A few things to ponder;

* If you bought it brand new, and the factory tag said, 'Tobacco Sunburst', then that's what a Tobacco Sunburst looks like after five years. Things fade, colours change.

* If you bought it used, and the previous owner told you that it was Tobacco Sunburst, then he might've been wrong.

* All digital cameras are different, and it's rare that a sunburst, maple-top guitar looks exactly the same on the photo as it does in person.

Email Gibson Customer Service with the Serial Number.
They will send the original specs to you within a day or two, and the Finish Colour will be in that specifications list.

:)

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Or ... that was just part of the "finish variation" of a tobacco burst for that year. As we know, Gibson has been known to wander in model similarity off the line.

Injector

Reaction score
These were the finishes available on the 2015 LP Standard as per Gibson's legacy site.

TheWelder

Reaction score
^^^ it doesn't look like any of those finish options, to be honest. It almost looks like Root Beer Burst, but I don't think they were offering that finish in 2015.

Was Gibson writing the model and finish inside the PUP cavity in 2015? If so, you could pull the PUPs out and see how they have it catelogued.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As mentioned the pup cavity will have the finish acronym.

But what color is the back?

-Dark back = tobacco
-Natural back = honey burst

rogue3

Reaction score
The op's looks very close in color to my '89 sitting in front of me.Officially called Vintage Burst back then.Golden Browns dominate today, to a golden center.No Reds on mine at all...darker brown back.Mine was a gig workhorse back in the day,and has battle scars to go with it.

An example that is pretty close, to mine, except mine has faded around the edges to a medium brown,not as dark as this photo, and the center is now more golden.
Unlike this example, no hint of reds on mine at the burst transition(this may be just lighting):

a1uxjcocsh5iyntdmzib.jpg

The op's example is more faded at the edge of the burst pattern than mine,even though mine has faded over time.His is not a tobacco burst,from my perpective.

Photos and lighting make it difficult to accurately display the tint.

On my example,Gibson took care to match the rosewood fretboard, to the color of the top(like the example posted above).very nice chocolate brown.

Last edited:

Gitter

Reaction score
Might be one of those exclusive finishes for Guitar Center, etc.. Looks desertburst to me as well.

afjungemann

Reaction score
I can’t tell but it doesn’t look like the head stock has the 2015 LP sig on it. Is it for sure a 2015?

Latest Threads