Color bleed?

neoclassical

Reaction score
I have an 05 Standard (special ed) in Black Cherry with cream binding etc. I'm getting red bleeding into the binding, on the rings, on the old nut. Has anyone ever seen this before? I've removed it twice, but it keeps happening.

jlb32

Reaction score
Nitro back finishes do bleed into the bindings, etc.... It is not a issue overall.

Just surprised yours is a 2005 and you are having these issues and how is it bleeding into the pickup rings??

Was it ever played before you purchased it??

neoclassical

Reaction score
It looks like it was nearly new when I bought it around 2015. I snapped some pics but they are too big to post. Maybe its crap from my hands, but it is the same color as the gtr.

dodona

Reaction score
you better use gibson polish, as anything else causes color bleed.

neoclassical

Reaction score
No, the case is gray. The finish was VERY sticky until I took 0000 steel wool to the back and followed with 3 buffing compounds, then glaze and carnuba wax.

ARandall

Reaction score
Might be it's picking up stuff from the surrounds. Bleed is from below, and is from the dye in the filler into the clear. You cannot remove it. And it by definition does not go onto pickup rings.
All of the places you report it is seemingly where you have contact between you and the guitar.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
The discoloration on the nut is particularly baffling, as there is no dye on the board (unless it's a Chibson)
But I would not expect it on the corners of the neck or body binding... I'd expect it to fade from the paint edges.

irocdave12

Reaction score
Binding bleed usually occurs from the bottom up. In other words from the back of the guitar up into the binding. Not like what is pictured. Typically it can’t be cleaned off either. I think you either have residual from the compound getting on there and it turns brown from oxidation or you got into the brown stain from the steel wool proceedure? I don’t know but I have it on my 2013 R9 and its related to the heat from your fretting hand wicking the dye into the plastic binding. I only have it in areas I play most frequently on the fretboard

moreles

Reaction score
Can't tell from the blurry pics, but I wonder if it's been either refinished or oversprayed with red, messily. Honestly, it looks like a handlng issue or some other mess. Unfortunately, as much as I don't like the looks of bleed, bleed is pretty consistent and this is not. I'd be scraping it off, probably.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is not dye bleeding, at all. Looks just like color stain from something.

Also, never seen dye bleeding on a USA model, only in some historic batches/years.

Those blurry pics aren't helping either.

neoclassical

Reaction score
I'm certainly not a good photographer, and I had to crop these to get them to upload. I can clean the red off and then let the guitar sit in the case for a few weeks as I play my other axes and come back to it, and there it is again. Maybe its my sweat etc?

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you can clean it off, it's not the paint (Les Pauls are not dyed)
It could be something from the case, but I've never seen that from a Gibson or Fender case.

My Les Paul Classifieds