Coin Shortage

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, pennies are less than worthless, as they take up my time ans space.

Do away with them already.
I thought they were on their way out in the late 70s.
We had the copper shortage where pennies were worth more than face value, but even after that, Knott's Berry Farm, and a few non-chain retailers in my area near LA eliminated them. They adjusted their prices so, with sales tax added, the sale amount came out to an even $0.05
Especially now when even a nickle is pretty much worthless, the penny needs to be put to bed.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
To me, pennies are less than worthless, as they take up my time ans space.

I used to just throw them away almost immediately after receiving them. They were NOT going in my pocket or car coin spot (which is that plastic map-holder pocket on the driver door).

I then started saving them, always throwing every penny that came my way in the arm-rest of my car. I'd empty it when selling the car. After 9-10 years, it doesn't amount to more than a couple bucks.

Do away with them already.

We're not just talking pennies. In fact, most of what I find are quaters, nickels, and dimes.

Reactions: Who

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Question:

How many pennies have the US mints produced in the history of the US?

05jrock

Reaction score
So..

We roll through a fast-food mex place just now.

$8.94 for TWO tacos.

Let that sink in..

Eight Dollars and Ninety-Four Cents.

I hold up a debit card.

covid-mask behind the window says "It will be an additional 75 cents for you to use your card".

Me: "what about the coin shortage?"

Her:

Uh-huh..

Sumpin' smells.. And it ain't the tacos.
They charge you for using a debit card?

We get charged if you withdraw cash from an atm that isn't owned by your bank, usually $2 or $3

Bluesky

Reaction score
Didn't see a thread on this so I figured I'd ask.

Anyone else seeing signs at their local stores asking you to pay with credit/debit cards or exact change due to a national coin shortage?

Conspiracy theories welcome. :laugh2:
People need the quarters to wipe thier asses with.

• Wow
Reactions: Who

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Fake news.

There is no coin shortage.
It may be fake news, but I know the Wawa I go to for coffee definitely is short on change. I talk to a old lady that runs the register on a an almost daily basis. She said she doesn’t know exactly why, but they are short. Only one register accepts cash, while the others are card only.

six-string

Reaction score
you know what they say..."coins make the world go round".

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
here's what i will tell you...normally, I put my "hard change" in the ashtray of whichever vehicle I am driving at the time....

normally, each vehicles (2) ashtray needs to be emptied about once every-other month...I pour them in a coffee can and right before vacation every year, I cash them in and it will at least buy seafood buffet for the family (about $85-$100 bucks or so).

but not this year......matter of fact, I emptied around the first of the year and there has been no need do it again......

99% of everything I have done, financially, since march 15 or so, has been with a debit card.

we did slip off down to the beach a couple of weeks ago...I did not cash in what coins I have, because we did not go out.

my coffee can is a little under 1/2 full and that is since the June/July 2019 empty.

there's a circulation problem....

Howard2k

Reaction score
Sounds like a planning problem, not a circulation problem.

Pretty sure anyone can go to to the bank and say “please can you change this $50 for small change”.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
You would think that....then why are these business (that go to the bank everyday) telling their tellers they do not have any change?

Latest Threads