Coin Shortage

LP121

Reaction score
Didn't see a thread on this so I figured I'd ask.

Anyone else seeing signs at their local stores asking you to pay with credit/debit cards or exact change due to a national coin shortage?

Conspiracy theories welcome. :laugh2:

NotScott

Reaction score
My local pharmacy will not accept cash anymore. They require you to use a card. When I pressed them on this, they said it was due to virus fears. :rolleyes:

KTM

Reaction score
I've seen a few of them. For a while I quit using cash and when I did pay with cash I quit using correct change and have accumulated a nice stash of coins.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I saw this as well. All the self serve registers at the grocery store by me are “card only due to coin shortage”.

So I had to use the regular check out line.

dc007

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone enlighten me please. The verbiage on cash notes says the note is legal tender for all debts public and private. So how can it be refused? Serious question, because I really don't know

Howard2k

Reaction score
Don’t recall the last time I used cash. It must have been this year, but nothing that springs to mind.

Howard2k

Reaction score
Someone enlighten me please. The verbiage on cash notes says the note is legal tender for all debts public and private. So how can it be refused? Serious question, because I really don't know
In the US private businesses can make their own polices. They are not required to accept cash.

LP121

Reaction score
That's exactly what I said when I heard about it.

I don't think they can refuse paper money for that very reason. I have heard stories about merchants rounding the amount to an dollar amount.

Always up of course.

LP121

Reaction score
In the US private businesses can make their own polices. They are not required to accept cash.
If you're selling something for a price, you do have to accept legal tender as payment.

Edit: you know what Howard? You're absolutely right. I just looked it up. Damn. Never knew that.

dc007

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so then what law gives them the right to refuse tender deemed legal by the government they operate in. Not trying to be a wise guy but this shit is very perplexing.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I said when I heard about it.

I don't think they can refuse paper money for that very reason. I have heard stories about merchants rounding the amount to an dollar amount.

Always up of course.
They also reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. So if one refuses to pay with anything but cash, one can assume they can be asked to leave the store.

This is happening out here as well.

So I looked it up. It seems that the two mints which produce new coins are working overtime. last two years produced about 12 billion coins, and this year they are looking to produce 19 billion.

They are blaming it on "covid" of course. Fewer people spending freely, in bars, in restaurants, etc. And more purchases online.

Money is just not changing hands, is the primary cause of this.

Latest Threads