Coil split switch question

Veronica1965

Reaction score
I recently bought an Ibanez Gio GRX70QA. It's a really great guitar for the money. I was going to put in a coil split switch for the bridge humbucker and had instructions on how to do so using the white wire in a 4-wire pickup. The Gio's switching is a 5-position Strat-type configuration and when I got into it, I found both red and white wires had been used as part of the switching system. I'm trying to use a two-terminal, two-position toggle but there are almost no wiring diagrams for this. I tried to just attach it in the middle of the white wire (from pickup, to switch) but this did not work and the on position just produces a hum. Is there any way I can wire this correctly or will I have to use a 6-position switch which I have on hand? Thanks in advance!

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Ok.... you have 2 hums and a single, right? In position 2 and 4, the hums are already coil tapped, giving you the traditional strat "quack". Are you trying to make the hums tapped in the 1 and 5 position also?

You would need 2 push pulls, one B500k, the other A500k, (Vol and tone respectively) White wire from 5 way switch to center lug on one of the push/pulls switches, (Say the neck pickup to the new vol push/pull) then bottom lug of push/pull to ground. OR you can use ONE push/pull, and wire the white wires from the 5 way switch to each side of the push/pull (Neck on one side, bridge on the other side, middle lug) and the bottom lugs go to ground. Down, would be the hum normal, up would be singles.

Latest Threads