Coil Split - Question...

Kenni

Reaction score
Hey there...

I'm no expert when it comes to guitar electronics and wiring, and therefore I have a question, regarding Coil Split..

What's the reason for some guitars having the Coil split on the Tone pot, and others on the Volume pot? Any particular reason?

Thanks
:)

HogmanA

Reaction score
One reason may be that pots with a decent taper might not be available in a push/pull switched version. That is the reason I have coil split switched pots on the tone controls. A taper I don't like bugs me far more on the volume controls.
Incidentally, cts have push/pull pots now. Aha! I thought, JP wiring here we go!

So I got 4 new cts push pull pots, but when putting the knobs on, I realised I had too much shaft thread through, lifting the knob up off the face of the guitar.
Then, when I tried to pull the knob off, it pulled the shaft right out of the brand new cts pot! Junk!
The Alpha push pull pots at a quarter of the price have never done that, and back in they went (on the tone controls).
Regular cts back on volumes, and JP wiring remains a dream only.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
It is simply the builders choice.
Put em where you want em

You could even just add a separate switch, instead of using a push/pull pot.

And now.
They have Push-Push pots.
I don't do a lot of wiring.
I haven't checked them out yet,
But they seem to be a better build then Push-Pull pots.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
Reaction score
One advantage to having the push pulls back in the tone position is they are out of the way when pulled up for players that like to control their amps with the volume pot. And you can also getter better grade CTS pots with a smoother taper and use them for volume pots. a lot of times Gibson and Epiphone put the push pulls in volume position I put mine in the tone position and seems to be preferred by many players. They still work the same for coils splitting no matter where they are located.

Latest Threads