Cobain's Daughter Lost the "Unplugged in New York" Guitar in Divorce Settlement

Ed B

Reaction score
That depends on who breaks the engagement. If he breaks it, she is entitled to keep it. If she breaks it she has to give it back.
In PA engagement and wedding rings are not marital property. Simply because they were purchased prior to marriage. They’re bonafide gifts. No fault will change that.

The gift provision in PA doesn’t hold up between spouses. More often than not gifts are purchase with joint income.

It varies by state. Where they are must either allow gifts to be separated between spouses. Or there is proof that it was given to him prior to marriage.

First place I’d check is social media. She probably posted it somewhere. Or he did and she comfirmed it.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
In PA engagement and wedding rings are not marital property. Simply because they were purchased prior to marriage. They’re bonafide gifts. No fault will change that.

The gift provision in PA doesn’t hold up between spouses. More often than not gifts are purchase with joint income.

It varies by state. Where they are must either allow gifts to be separated between spouses. Or there is proof that it was given to him prior to marriage.

First place I’d check is social media. She probably posted it somewhere. Or he did and she comfirmed it.
Right, I assumed that we were talking about the engagement period, prior to marriage and how that applies to engagement rings. But, then again, I get most of my legal knowledge from Judge Judy.

warprider

Reaction score
I dont really associate Cobain with guitar. If it was one of his electrics, i might get riled. Maybe. His handwritten lyrics or journals is a better association to his profession.

It was a settlement .Settlements happen everyday.
The kid has no moral compass, just like the majority of people that walk the planet. It doesn't affect me.

My gf gave me her deceased fathers wedding band 10 years before we started a relationship. It meant something to me, & it meant more to her. When our relationship faltered I returned it after 14 years of knowing her. I still speak to her, which I can't say about other relationships I've had. It's just the right thing to do.

This story reminded me of Cobain feeling stupid driving a Lexus around Aberdeen. CornHole, his wife, was all about flashing their wealth around. Moral? You can't buy class. This kid has none.

Warren Weldon

Peters Creek , Alaska
Reaction score
I dont really associate Cobain with guitar. If it was one of his electrics, i might get riled. Maybe. His handwritten lyrics or journals is a better association to his profession
It is an Electric, a D-18E is a D-18 with two pickups from the factory, they didn't sell many and hence they are rare but not really worth much, at least the last one I watched sell. In a twist of fate I ended up with a top that his luthier ordered from Martin to replace the top on this guitar. It is actually an extra one he ordered and kept for years. I have had it for at least a dozen years.it has writing on the bottom from Martin factory the bracing pattern , etc and all holes drilled/routed for pots and pickups. Since it was never sealed or had any finish it is now really dark. I should make a guitar out of it. I never really had any intentions to when I bought it. i just bought it because it was for sale and really rare, another reason I have a house full of amps and guitars, and a pissed off wife!!!!

PeteK

Reaction score
As much as I love the Unplugged in New York album, I was not blown away by the spectacular tone of this guitar. I've certainly heard nicer sounds come out of a Martin.

Warren Weldon

Peters Creek , Alaska
Reaction score
I don't put pick-ups in the guitars I build , never have and I never will. Learn to mic it or just buy an electric is what I tell them , either that or go get someone else to install it after I'am done. I think they all sound like crap! Like a guitar singing through it's nose! I was the road manager for Peter Rowan and Tony rice and we never played a show without micing the guitars, if it was good enough for the greatest Flat Picker in the world it should work for everyone else. The D18E never had a great sound ,another reason for low sales numbers and Curt wasn't the greatest player either so that didn't help any either. The top is a cool collectable but thats all

Warren Weldon

Peters Creek , Alaska
Reaction score
As much as I love the Unplugged in New York album, I was not blown away by the spectacular tone of this guitar. I've certainly heard nicer sounds come out of a Martin.
Your right almost EVERY Martin sounds better than the D18-E!!

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
He also ran it through his fender amp and wouldn't be surprised if there was a pedal involved. He wasn't confident in his ability to do an acoustic show straight up

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I have, firsthand!

He also ran it through his fender amp and wouldn't be surprised if there was a pedal involved. He wasn't confident in his ability to do an acoustic show straight up
There had to have been some sort of pedal used for the "The Man Who Sold The World" solo.

SpawnedX

Reaction score
Actually on point. The guitar is worth more to her as an asset to trade than it is as an heirloom to treasure. If she ever wanted to get cash value out of it, this might be the best way. Rather than taking it to Rick, Big Hoss and Chumlee, she can hand it over in the divorce, cry some crocodile tears and get a win-win.
"This is the actual Kurt Cobain Unplugged in NY guitar? I can do about 11 bucks."

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I think it's probably the most iconic of his guitars. I don't think any Nirvana fans -- and though I like a few of their songs I'm not one -- care whether he was playing a Jag or a Mustang on this or that night, but that particular episode of Unplugged was huge when it landed.

The settlement been made, and Frances has already expressed her valuation of the guitar based on that. Getting rid of the guy was worth more to her than holding onto the guitar.

I've sold guitars too.

If the guy had had class, he would have given it back and settled for less simply out of generosity. But hey, it's not me gonna auction it, so take these words with that in mind.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I think it's probably the most iconic of his guitars. I don't think any Nirvana fans -- and though I like a few of their songs I'm not one -- care whether he was playing a Jag or a Mustang on this or that night, but that particular episode of Unplugged was huge when it landed..
Agreed. Did not realize its rarity until well after that show. Remember seeing it well.

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fender twin and boss ds 1 with the Martin. Also had a different sound hole pickup than originally on them.

The only other guitar maybe more recognizable would be the smells like teen spirit stang

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also don't forget that many of his guitars were smashed. One of his guitars he actually paid 13 dollars for. A few early shows you can see his guitar being duct taped together.

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
If I have stuff that I want to keep forever, I don't give it to people as a gift.

Morals are irrelevant at this IMO, since we don't know the conditions under which she allegedly gave the guitar to him. But the guitar was in his possession when the Cobains filed suit to get it back.

It's not like they were sitting at the negotiating table going through a checklist and the lawyer goes "Curt's Guitar" and whateverhisnameis says "Oh, you gave that to me, remember?"

Seems pretty clear cut. If you don't want stuff to be gone, don't give it away. If you intend to give something with conditions, then those conditions should be documented in an enforceable manner.

Sucks for the Cobain family, but hey, it's really not that difficult.

Warren Weldon

Peters Creek , Alaska
Reaction score
Yep he had a Fender HPTT also a Silvertone 1484 (as well as other various amps) and trolled Seattle for old crappy guitars and occasionally got his hands on some decent ones also. He is the reason my ex-wife started writing lyrics, she was a friend of his and would party with him. I was more a fan of his lyrics than his instruments , but then back then he wasn't famous and we were all on the verge of starvation a lot of the time but always seemed to have money to party.We don't communicate any longer but she has a treasure trove of photos and a few jackets he gave her and shirts, notes etc. I don't miss Seattle much but when I do , it is mostly the old music scene back then.

Warren Weldon

Peters Creek , Alaska
Reaction score
That is true. also yes a pedal or so was always around. I think the guitar already had different pickups when he got it but he may have messed around with those also.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
If I have stuff that I want to keep forever, I don't give it to people as a gift.

Morals are irrelevant at this IMO, since we don't know the conditions under which she allegedly gave the guitar to him. But the guitar was in his possession when the Cobains filed suit to get it back.

It's not like they were sitting at the negotiating table going through a checklist and the lawyer goes "Curt's Guitar" and whateverhisnameis says "Oh, you gave that to me, remember?"

Seems pretty clear cut. If you don't want stuff to be gone, don't give it away. If you intend to give something with conditions, then those conditions should be documented in an enforceable manner.

Sucks for the Cobain family, but hey, it's really not that difficult.
Indeed. As the saying goes, possession is 9/10 the law. Or, from another frame of reference, relying on the decency of people can be risky business itself.

If you want to keep it, don't give it away.

Ed B

Reaction score
Whatever happened to just getting your shit back? I’d have that back in no time. He’d be thanking me too.