C'mon Man!

calieng

Reaction score
Received the '57 ML darkback today.

Overall really nice guitar.

Still sloppy work on the pickguard fitting and this one came with mis-matched control covers. One was black and one was brown.

The pickguard is an easy fix. They are just installing to too tight against the neck pickup and the bevel is pushing the guard out on an angle. Just a fraction of a millimeter forward and perfect fit. Have to fill the hole and re-drill. Would be better if they just take their time and do it right in the first place.
Oh well.....for this money the guitars should be perfect.

C'mon man!

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3269.JPG

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Which constellation is that, on the bass side of the gap between the pickups? Cassiopeia, perhaps? ;)

Sorry about the fit and finish issues. I hope you're happy with the guitar otherwise.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mis matched control covers is just plain, well I have no words, so they got no brown ones left? What serial number range are we into now? Liking the darkback on that though and the checking, I like it when it’s lots of lines close together, only seen one other with a similar amount of checking.

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I usually take the PG off... so it wouldn’t bother me. But I could see how it would if I liked to keep them on.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t these come with the metal medallion switch cover?

That would fix the mismatch cover issue....kind of?

calieng

Reaction score
I know it is nit picking. Just some feedback for those who are considering buying. When the price goes up the fit and finish should improve. They are great guitars and it sounds realy good but more care please.

Yes it had the medallion. The brown cover was in the pocket and the black control cavity cover was already installed of course which is maybe why it was not noticed.

I wonder if they have some new staff with COVID and all. Maybe a few folks still on the learning curve.

It is considered to be a Light Aged model. Was looking at a heavy and ultra heavy aged but this one looked nice for the price and had a good weight.

Thanks.

calieng

Reaction score
Mis matched control covers is just plain, well I have no words, so they got no brown ones left? What serial number range are we into now? Liking the darkback on that though and the checking, I like it when it’s lots of lines close together, only seen one other with a similar amount of checking.
It's actually a 2020.

LP1865

Reaction score
I dig it. Mismatched covers from the factory seems pretty cool

ARandall

Reaction score
When the price goes up the fit and finish should improve.
I've addressed your misconception here before.
With a reissue you are not paying for a cookie cutter guitar. You are buying something that they go out of their way to make it like the 50's.....including the variability.

Looks like a few more folks are still on a learning curve.

calieng

Reaction score
I've addressed your misconception here before.
With a reissue you are not paying for a cookie cutter guitar. You are buying something that they go out of their way to make it like the 50's.....including the variability.

Looks like a few more folks are still on a learning curve.
Ya right. Interesting excuse for poor quality control. I guess the black and brown control covers was on purpose too.

I did not see one poorly fitted pickguard, or over scrapped binding, or any issue for that matter on over a dozen True Historics I have owned. So I guess from 2015 to now they have decided to slack off on quality control to make the guitars more accurate....makes perfect sense now.

Thank you for your wisdom.

calieng

Reaction score
“When it comes to plastics, I don’t feel it’s something that Tom or anybody on his team can do that well right now”, he admits, candidly. “We went down the rabbit hole recreating the chemical compounds but, to me personally, I don’t care what the plastic parts are made from because if they don’t look original, I’m not a fan.

Have a read. I don't think poor fitting plastics is intentional.

calieng

Reaction score
Thanks.....

Look I am ok with it all. I just want to inform.

The guitar lists for $7k. It has these issues plus more minor items like all the bridge saddle just have a small nick that looks like a .013 nut file instead of being properly cut for each string gauge, I had to redo the ground wire on another, wood chips inside the control cavity....seriously for this money should be perfect. I feel bad for people who pay that and then do not have the tools or experience to deal with all the little issues.

I hope someone from Gibson reads this.

GearHo

Reaction score

just wipe it down with this....

LP1865

Reaction score

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Have a read. I don't think poor fitting plastics is intentional.
Thanks for sharing, that is a great review. Sounds like Gibson has a winner on its hands. A few observations:

"The top has countless micro dents that have allowed the lacquer checking lines to form around them in an entirely natural way ... In areas with extensive ageing, it’s apparent that the vast majority of dents have been induced using a single tool. The shape and orientation of the damage spots is a bit too uniform."

This has always been my personal deal breaker with artificial aging, even when done by the recognized best in the business. I got back an HM a few years ago and was disappointed in the dents in the top, which were clearly made on purpose with a tool and didn't look at all natural to me. I raised the concern with Kim and he just said that was a necessary step in getting nitro to artificially check. Interestingly, one of the top replica builders consistently gets realistic checking without doing this.

"The vintage PAFs have a more 3D quality, extended upper harmonics and greater clarity ... With the same amp settings, the modern pickups can seem a bit harsh and shouty next to the vintage units ... For playing at home most people would prefer the sound of an alnico III pickup and not alnico IV."

This is my complaint with most boutique PAF repros (interestingly, I don't find it to be as much of an issue with the new CBs). They're voiced for a home player, who sits in front of an amp at low-moderate volume but wants to RAWK. A great example is WIZZ; obviously the thousands of satisfied users love the way they sound, but A/B'd against my vintage PAFs they sound too loud, too bright and too aggressive. It's glorious when you step on a dirt box and hit a power chord in your bedroom with amp volume at 3, but they're their own animal.

"For a modern factory-built guitar, that’s a considerable achievement, but it’s still a work in progress ... That’s an opportunity that we have been aware of all the time, but the time hasn’t been right. What I can say is that we are going to tell stories that have never been told ... We have a new process that’s about to come online that will allow us to achieve results that are so realistic."

It's understandable that Gibson will continue to improve these parts and processes, but I've got to wonder: where will these first Murphy Lab guitars end up in the timeline of "worthy" improvements, particularly as they relate to retained value? Will there be models that get so much better in the next year, three years, five years that these lose significant resale value that owners must eat when they upgrade? I feel like that happened with the True Historics; owners who shelled out massive $$$ for those are now left pleading their cases for why they should retain more value versus the newer, "improved" Historics. The teasing of a "new process," so shortly after these first MLs debuted, doesn't bode well to me.

calieng

Reaction score
One other item....not complaining really just for info for any newbies.

Gibson is shipping the stop tails all the way down on these. So when received most already had bridges leaning back.

Easy fix. Raise up the stop bar to reduce the break angle to be similar to what you see where the strings cross the nut. Or top wrap the strings.

You can ease the bridge back into upright position. I use a small spanner wrench on one end of the bridge to help move it back with strings still on. Easier to do than with your fingers.

The posts are brass so they are fairly easy to bend.

Yet another tip on "Fix Your Factory Gibson" from your friends at My Les Paul Forum.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I don't buy recent Gibsons, but if I did I'd be pissed...

Latest Threads