CME Spec Custom Shop

TShoe71

Reaction score
I’m considering several R7/R8 Les Pauls. I’m seeking opinions on if the CME spec guitars are better/worse than the standard Gibson models. I’m aware of the serial numbers being unique, but not overly concerned about that detail. I’m also familiar with the different neck carves and again that’s not a big deal for me. The main question for me would the custom CME pickups and any other specific changes CME made for these builds. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

BDW60

Reaction score
If you like lower output humbuckers, you will like the CME spec. Mine were both 7.1 and were clear and spanky, classic rock all the way. I like them the best of the custombuckers I have played.

There are no other changes for their builds, except for a special finish or two exclusive to them.

searswashere

Reaction score
I would dig the R7 with carmelita carve i think.

Can you try them?

TShoe71

Reaction score
I would dig the R7 with carmelita carve i think.

Can you try them?
Unfortunately no. I have a 60s Standard, a 335 Figured and a Fender 51 CS Tele so I run the gamut of chunky to thin neck now. I’ve tried a Gibson ‘57 and thought it was less chunky than my Tele. From the R7 forward my understanding is in general the necks thin out. The Carmelita sounds like a good compromise and popular given the guitar it was based on especially if the standard wasn’t appealing given its chunkiness.

searswashere

Reaction score
I havent checked the cme site in all of two weeks haha - do they list the actual neck size of each?

Ive only ever tried one R7, dont recall the year but I was immediately put off by the larger-than-nocaster feeling neck (I have a 95-1” U tele). I cant recall if my R9 has the Carmelita neck but I would take said R9 shape on any Historic any day. That’s part of why I went for my 68RI - very close.

TShoe71

Reaction score
They do not.
I havent checked the cme site in all of two weeks haha - do they list the actual neck size of each?

Ive only ever tried one R7, dont recall the year but I was immediately put off by the larger-than-nocaster feeling neck (I have a 95-1” U tele). I cant recall if my R9 has the Carmelita neck but I would take said R9 shape on any Historic any day. That’s part of why I went for my 68RI - very close.
They do not.

I have 91-1” 57 V on my Tele. First time I tried an R7 expecting this huge neck, honestly I thought my 51 Tele was much chunkier. That said I’d prefer thinner and so the Carmelita 59 neck is appealing. I was more curious beyond the low wind pickups of there were other small changes I was unaware of. What specifically goes into a CME spec vs a Gibson CS isn’t really shown anywhere best I can tell.

mjross

Reaction score
Have a CME R8 that is killer, pickups sound great, one of my favorites. I would not hesitate a minute when purchasing a CME Spec guitar!

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got two of their CME spec historics and they're fantastic.

2017 CME 1960 Goldtop/Darkback:
2017CSgoldtop-20.jpg

2019 CME 1960 Iced Tea:
2019CMER0-32.jpg

Latest Threads