Skippy Handleman
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh wow I thought they said cme xxxx

ESchmidt

Reaction score

jlb32

Reaction score
FYI The "Carmelita neck type" is the standard on all '2019" '59's CS LP Standard RI .I don't know about the Other stuff , only that I've seen in past years a wide array of weights on their guitars . Most lighter weighted ,to me, seem to appear early in the new years and its a hit or miss type thing after that . WW did runs of light weight LP's a few years ago . And up charged for that . Compare prices to see if that's so with CME ...

Even when doing a M2M order ,Gibson will not guaranty a 8 lb or less LP ... It's ,imo, more luck then anything .
I got 1 in 2015 (a sub 8lb TH LP ) I really love the guitar . IMO makes a difference . But that's only speculation on my part .
I guess I am in the other group as far as weight goes. Of all the Les Pauls I have owned I seem to prefer ones that are around 9lbs. or slightly heavier. I personally have not loved the Les Pauls I have owned that have been lighter in weight, 8lbs. or so. Guess it's just a personal preference thing when it comes to weights.

JMB1984

Reaction score
When changing the serial number has the potential to bother a lot of people, makes you wonder why they do it. Other places like Wildwood and HOG keep the number historically accurate for their special runs.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is to make theirs stand out among the rest, ….maybe its vanity? ….I'm not really sure, but making the COA like they did is 2016 was a better move than changing around serial #'s for the historics. But that's just me.

The "R8" format serial was a bone headed move by Gibson.....

That being said, the yearly numbers get recycled every decade, so maybe it was to avoid confusion...

kingsxman

Reaction score
Some of them do have the CME on the serial number on headstock. For context, mine is serial CME70097 which denotes it is a CME exclusive, made in 2017 and the 97th in the run.

the one I WAS looking at had a CME serial number...which turned me off. All things being equal if the price was good It wouldnt have bothered me. But at a premium price...I'd rather NOT have a CME serial number.

ESchmidt

Reaction score
the one I WAS looking at had a CME serial number...which turned me off. All things being equal if the price was good It wouldnt have bothered me. But at a premium price...I'd rather NOT have a CME serial number.
Yea I get that, I would also rather have a normal serial number all things being equal. But I got mine on Reverb at a great price, so that’s why I went with it.

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
Yeah, maties, the CME prefixed serial number was a deal killer for me. It just turned me off them. A pity as they are very nice Lesters otherwise. The bone-headed Gibson R-prefix is another turn-off.

For me and bone-headed me only, these guitars have a lower resale value. Serial numbers don't affect Toanz but neither does an MoP logo. We should all be playing Tokais, if that were true.

Pappy58

Reaction score
So CME wanted something to follow the guitars for life showing they were CME exclusive. Similar to the G0, there will be no guessing up the road about " what it is?! While it shouldn't diminish their value, for some reason it does to many.. :dunno:

DanD

Reaction score
So CME wanted something to follow the guitars for life showing they were CME exclusive. Similar to the G0, there will be no guessing up the road about " what it is?! While it shouldn't diminish their value, for some reason it does to many.. :dunno:
I think the whole Historic thing has a lot to do with accuracy of the vintage appearance of the guitar.

I can't count the threads I've read over the years about inlays that weren't pointy followed by threads about inlays that weren't the right material. Aniline dyes, nylon nuts (and are those 6/6 nylon? ), LP logo font and placement (year dependant of course), headstock inlay font and placement (some still say the "G" ain't round enough).

My point is the serial number is vintage correct in this X XXXX format only. Since you can only get 999 guitars a year, for each reissue year in this format, those 999 get a premium attached to them. I've seen R9s with serials like 943897. That'd be close to 4k R9s in 2014. So only 25% (or less as I have no way of knowing if that was the highest serial number for R9s in '14) of R9s got imprinted with a 5 digit serial in '14.

Another issue is the association with the store/entity in question will turn some buyers off. I've heard lots of folks say that they don't want anything to do with Guitar Center and I can empathize with that sentiment. I personally have had only mail order dealings with CME and they were fine.

But I've read stories from others that have had displeasure dealing with CME. Those folks are probably not going to be considering your 'CME' autographed R.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Yes to all of this

I’m sure the CME folks are terrific people, and we see that the guitars they bring in are perfectly fine

But arrogance comes at a cost. They do create a “less saleable” guitar

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Another way to think of this--The CME serial will be long gone if you are planning on getting a refinish. They can re-stamp it without the CME prefix. I am having my CME Les Paul refinished a-la-pearly gates and will be having them re-stamp the number with the original pearly number 9 1171. Problem solved. I know re-selling would become more difficult but it is not a guitar I want to re-sell. But if I ever did, there is more than enough evidence to show its provenance, although the value would be negatively impacted without the original number.

Last edited:

BigJim

Reaction score
I dig understated tops, but most of the R9s are very close to plaintops....

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the CME guitars are limited runs for them, I see no issue with them modifying the serial number. Music Machine did it many years ago with their limited run Stingers and those guitars are highly sought after and command a premium--even with a *second* serial number on them by Music Machine.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is true....

But they were stingers......:cheers2:

DanD

Reaction score
Since the CME guitars are limited runs for them, I see no issue with them modifying the serial number. Music Machine did it many years ago with their limited run Stingers and those guitars are highly sought after and command a premium--even with a *second* serial number on them by Music Machine.
This is very true but those MMs were very limited and exceedingly special guitars. CME on the other hand seems to just throw a bunch of CME serials out there. From what I've seen the majority of the CME serials are nothing spectacular. Definitely no where near the level of excellence displayed by the Braz MM Stingers or MM Custom Quilt Chambereds...

Latest Threads