Clueless friends who LOVE music but don’t play (Hilarity ensues)

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
We all have these people in our lives.
They think it’s cool that we play guitar, and we have nice shiny gear, and maybe we even play in a band.

They love music.
I mean, they really LOVE music!
They are enthusiastic, and they can wax philosophical about how music moves them or drives them or has even steered their lives from their earliest ages.

But they can’t play.
I mean, not at all.
They might think they can sing, and they probably know most of the words to at least 100 songs, but they really can’t sing.

Since we know a thing or two about the music we play, these people feel like an insider.
They get to ask us questions and offer insights and basically rattle on and on - where they can’t with anyone else in their social group.

I can appreciate it myself.
I mean, I try not to be too much of a fanboy when I get around people who can really play and who really know their shit.

A longtime friend of my wife’s, I’ll call her Pam (because that’s her name) is the person I’m talking about here.

Thanks to Pam, I coined the phrase “Some people don’t know the difference between the Cure and the Cult.”

Because she didn’t.

Where I’m going with this, I turned Pam onto Rick Beato on YouTube maybe a year ago.
Pam got out of high school in 1985, so much of this music is in the time frame she is very familiar with.

She eagerly devours Rick Beato content, but most of it is over her head.
However, this does not dampen her enthusiasm.
She gets her facts mixed up, and that’s where the humor begins.

Pam watched a Beato video about the greatest songs done on Les Pauls.
I would link it here, but I’m not familiar with it.
I should probably try to find it.

Earlier today, she sent me a link to this video:

Telling me how much she loves this song.
Evidently, Beato says that “Jailbreak” is one of the great Les Paul songs.

But you can’t fool Pam!
She then sent a text message saying that she watched the video but, “None of the guitars look like a Les Paul. What’s the deal?”

Huh?

“Yes, Rick Beato says this is one of the greatest Les Paul songs. Am I missing something?”

Um….

Aw jeez!!!
So I replied and told her maybe she should try this one instead.

I think maybe this is where Rick Beato was going with this whole Les Paul thing.
Not just one, but two Les Pauls!
Hell yeah!

Definitely a Thin Lizzy thing.

Half an hour later, I get a text response from Pam:
“Oh yeah, I like that song!
I remember that one.

So why do they have two Les Pauls?
Most bands don’t do that, right?
They will have like a Strat and a Les Paul because they want different sounds?
Or was it because the guys just played Les Pauls?
I know some guys will just play one kind of guitar and nothing else…………..”

:io:

Last edited:

Leee

Reaction score
And just so everyone is up to speed here, this is the Cure:

353E16B4-01F2-40C6-951D-4E116BDE05E1.jpeg

And this is the Cult:

73CA4AFB-6BE9-4FD3-8958-29569FB1CA62.gif

Leee

Reaction score
Probably my favorite - Love Removal Machine

Before I sold my Marshalls, this is one of the few instances when I would plug my ES-335 into my JCM 800.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think Pam asked valid questions.

"So why do they have two Les Pauls?
Most bands don’t do that, right?
They will have like a Strat and a Les Paul because they want different sounds?
Or was it because the guys just played Les Pauls?
I know some guys will just play one kind of guitar and nothing else………….."

As far as the "Jailbreak" confusion, the AC/DC song was the first to come to my mind as well...

Leee

Reaction score
Right.
But surely Beato identified the band when he cited the song?
I don’t know.
I haven’t seen the video yet.

To get an idea of what dealing with Pam is like, watch some old reruns of I Love Lucy.

:)

Leee

Reaction score
God no.
Small doses only for me.

She’s married.
So am I.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do some slider munky work...we've got flashy lights, knobs, sliders and shit all over the place.... Like a moth to a flame...

'Wazzat do?'
- I ain't real sure. I just started tonight and they just told me to look like I know what I'm doing... I like to watch the lights though.....
'Oh, cool....'

James R

Reaction score
There's a ton about music and music theory that I don't know, and I actually play guitar.
I'm not as good as some, but I've progressed to the point where I no longer feel that I suck either.

I think music and music theory is one of those things that, no matter how deep you dig, there's always more to learn.

I can say with complete honesty that a lot of what Rick Beato says goes completely over my head, but watching his videos has lead me, and helped me, to learn on more than one occasion.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found over my years that folks know a lot more theory than they think.... It may not be book theory but it is valid nonetheless.... Some folks 'know' key sigs... Couldn't really explain the 'steps' or #/b stuff in a key BUT, they can hear what works and what doesn't. One of the best natural guitarists I've heard had a partial third grade edu, couldn't tell you most chords he was playing, but could hear the chords in his head and play em. Could play wild hair RnR, and turn around and finger pick Wildwood Flower at nine-hunnert mph... He learned theory a different way....he heard it....

Tons of players out there with more savvy than they themselves believe... Just is....

James R

Reaction score
I have found over my years that folks know a lot more theory than they think.... It may not be book theory but it is valid nonetheless.... Some folks 'know' key sigs... Couldn't really explain the 'steps' or #/b stuff in a key BUT, they can hear what works and what doesn't. One of the best natural guitarists I've heard had a partial third grade edu, couldn't tell you most chords he was playing, but could hear the chords in his head and play em. Could play wild hair RnR, and turn around and finger pick Wildwood Flower at nine-hunnert mph... He learned theory a different way....he heard it....

Tons of players out there with more savvy than they themselves believe... Just is....
I can relate to that.
I don't know a ton of book theory, but I know that if it don't sound right, it ain't right, and your fingers learn where to go by themselves.
I don't mean for that to sound arrogant or whatever, but if you spend enough time with a guitar in your hands it just happens.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
I have a Master Certificate in Guitar from Berklee School of Music and I can barely play a lick. Can't even play an entire song...I'm killer on postproduction though...software is the key...just don't ask me to play live!

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
My dad has a long-time friend that's super into the Stones. Like follows them around on tours, and has all the bootlegs, all of that.

But the guy doesn't play any instruments. None.

I've tried to talk to the dude about what certain guitar things are done in what songs, what parts I found cool....and dude's trying to 1 up me with Stones history.

I found it pretty annoying.

Leee

Reaction score
There's a ton about music and music theory that I don't know, and I actually play guitar.
…I think music and music theory is one of those things that, no matter how deep you dig, there's always more to learn.
Shoulda put that in all caps. :cool:

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I have interesting conversations with a non-musician co-worker who loves music but believes music theory, even the most rudimentary theory (such as major and minor keys), is a sham because "you would just figure that out anyway right?" I mean yeah, if you're a genius or a prodigy or something. Or even better, "a real musician doesn't need a crutch like that."

Right.

It's the same shit I deal with as an artist. Non-artists love to shit on artists for using photo reference. "That's not real art." OK bud, what is art?

I am firmly in camp "no rules, only tools," but to disregard said tools as cheating/crutches/redundant is absurd.

Latest Threads