Closed back cabs

ARandall

Reaction score
Just made a home made closed back cab to hold the original V-type speaker that came out of my Custom Deluxe.

There seems to be a lot of differing opinions about the importance of:

1. being perfectly airtight.

2. The dimensions, and the effect of mounting from the rear of the baffle.

It will only be for low volume home use.......and part of a multi amp/multi cab rig. The engineering some people put into cabs is staggering.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
Your story lacks a middle and an end!

:photos:

RAG7890

Reaction score

:cheers2:

Geeze

Reaction score
If it sounds good, it is a good cab....
This all day long. I read too much non scientifically based blather about guitar speaker cab sizes/shapes & ports. Since we as a society can't agree on the 'perfect' tone how would we ever come to consensus on a cab?

Tight construction matters more than airtight. I tend to glue everything but the baffle to deaden unwanted vibration. Everything engineering based I've read - way more HiFi than guitar - states you can build them too small and too big but there is a wide sweet spot of cab volume between those two. Thiele Small parameters aren't useful for guitar for several reasons.

I prefer rear mount as it makes mounting grill cloth easier as it is stapled to the baffle. TL-806 cabs specify front mount with an additional grill frame. I have both and don't notice the difference. I tend to avoid the minutiae - if it gets lost in a band context I don't care.

Once you get your cab going IF you don't like the sound play with either reducing internal volume [I've used wood or books] or increasing it with batting.

Nice looking cab, do you plan to cover to finish it? Let us know how you like it.

Russ

ARandall

Reaction score
^thanks for that.

I looked at the TSP, and other than getting bogged down in all sorts of physics it seemed like it didn't matter for guitar that much.
The main thing I got in the reading i'd done was not to have any dimension be a multiple of another, so both internal and external dimensions are odd/unusual numbers to

I have some piping coming for the front and back faces......just to hide/trim the baffle and rear panel cuts - as especially at the back there are some minor gaps to be filled.

The cab has been sprayed gold, with the front beaded roundover being raw wood to expose the lamination.

moreles

Reaction score
Complicating speaker/cab design is the fact that for many of us, the sounds that we have enjoyed over the years were generally produced by units that were mostly made just as boxes, and never designed with sound in mind. Those iconic Fender combos were built without application of any real audio engineering. Many of us are still conditioned to seek a sound that was actually generated by a "poorly designed" (in theory) speaker/cab combo. Personally, I wouldn't know how to even begin tuning a cab.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
Most have never seen a Clair, JBL 4350, etc... Much less heard one.....

Guitar/bass cab science and such caught up later... Some were lucky...

I don't really fanboi over Mesa even though I have great respect for their engineers, they are not for me.... They make science their bitch....

With all cabs for any app: There are yawners, Ok I guess, pretty good, damn good, and Oh my homey jeebus...like the Clair and JBLs...

I prefer open back....waaaay back, I got moist when I fired up the white half stack Marshall at a gig... Now, I get moist when I fire up my open and somewhat open back amps...

My Delta Blues makes me very moist... as does my old Legend A30... both open back....

Best car audio cab I have ever heard was a damn Tide Detergent shipping box... Waaay back, we were house band for a year or two at a club. Our lighting eng drove a Buick 'Duece & a Quarter' (Electra 225) and was always tinkering with cabs and speakers and shit.... He ran across this box that was thick and extremely stiff cardboard. He cut holes for speakers, actually bolted with washers and the speakers and horns pointing in multiple directions (top, front, left side, right side)... NOT cheap components...by a long shot...

You could not tell where the audio was coming from in that damn battleship.... Beautiful quality of sound. Total immersion within a 3d field.... Damned brilliant....

He would NOT consider painting or covering the Tide logos and crap on the damn cardboard box..... It was the principle of the thing to him... Insane... but damn it sounded unreal good..... Theatre surround sound ain't got shit on him....

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Very Nice, but that is not some pics, that is a pic. haha

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Yeah, I should have changed that afterwards.......but the second pic wouldn't load in the original attempt so I thought it was too much data for the one post. Then it wouldn't load up when it was on its own.
Thats the new phone......better picture and colour balance than my SLR for indoor - but oddly varied file size.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
It's way too easy to get carried away with over-engineering a guitar speaker cab. There are some basic rules/guideline, but not much more unless you're designing a Thiele cab.

You have to remember guitar cabs are intended/designed to CREATE music. On the other hand, hifi cabs are designed with greater engineer because they have to faithfully REPRODUCE music which is far more difficult.

Hifi cabs are designed to not add coloration, where guitar cabs are designed to do just that.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Thanks......I'd sort of hoped that this was the case.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
It will only be for low volume home use.......and part of a multi amp/multi cab rig. The engineering some people put into cabs is staggering.
There IS a lot of engineering that goes into a good-sounding cabinet.
Hi-Fi is damned near rocket science trying to reproduce a good 20hz-20khz response.

The problem with a cabinet not being airtight... or with a bass port that is not dimensioned properly, is you can get near-supersonic flow and annoying whistling (or howling through a port).
Open-back cabinets are of course much more forgiving... but compare a Blues Jr to a 5E3 and you'll see that cabinet dimensions play a HUGE role in the shaping of the tone.
There's a reason the original tweed Champ and Princeton used 8" speakers with these smaller cabinets.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Every closed back cab I ever had sounded better with the back off...to me.
In the 90s, I built a couple of 4x10 cabinets around the Carvin VL10 speakers. Built an oak cabinet for myself to match my oak Carvin X100, and a birch ply cabinet for a friend to go with his Traynor head.
I built his as convertible, using threaded bushings so he could remove the center section to make it an open back.
His was built to match the dimensions of the Carvin tweed 4x10.... mine was a little more shallow, limited by the width of oak I could get at Home Depot.
AFAIK, he always ran his with the back open.

410BLK.JPG
410OAK.JPG

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
I'm going to tell Uncle Hartley that his amps are getting tea-bagged.
Hahahaha.... Love that old amp.... Really doesn't care what you stick in it either.... ;)

Lester, Skrat, Tele... They all sound good through that amp with the 15"... Just plain smooth....