Climate change - MLP brainstorm solutions to a sustainable planet

Skeletor

Reaction score
Folks – time for the MLP collective to step up and solve the worlds environmental problems…

Has anyone ever sat down and had a rational two way discussion on possible “solutions” to prevent humanity from destroying the planet?

I’ve never seen such a discussion – I’ve only seen the screaming, name calling “blame game” with calls from one side to cease any use of fossil fuels and the other side saying “screw you”.

There were a few rational thoughts in the Greta thread (population control, nuclear energy) but these type of comments never seem to spur any rational discussion – they just sort of get overlooked and the argument continues.

So – if we set aside the politics, religion, extremism – hell, lets even ignore the debate over whether climate change is real and caused by humans. For the sake of reconciliation and progress, make it a hypothetical discussion – what if the planet is headed toward environmental disaster and it is directly caused by human activity?

What can we do to prevent it?

I for one am open to have this discussion even though I’m currently leaning toward the Marshall & Moonshine school of thought (screw the planet as I’ll be dead before it matters).

For the sake of full disclosure – I make my living as a telecommunications engineer, currently the pipeline industry is my main source of income. I live in Alberta, Canada where the economy is almost entirely dependent on the fossil oil industry. Also, living in Canada, I am not prepared to do without a means of heating my home in the winter or reliable transportation. But, I do see that traditional financial opportunities (jobs) are shrinking – so if I see an opportunity to make a living in an up and coming “green” industry I would jump on it.

So – the screaming and shouting folks want to turn off the taps and cease the use of oil and gas. Cool, ignoring hard goods (plastics that go in to everything we rely on these days), what is the suggestion for replacement energy sources?

I think what is being offered up is wind (wind turbine farms), water (hydro dams) & solar?

There never seems to be any rational debate over the environmental impacts (again – blinders on – ignore any financial repercussions). What are the environmental impacts of mining and processing all of the raw materials required to build wind farms, solar panels, batteries, transmission lines, dams – also the environmental impacts of clearing land for solar farms, wind farms or flooding land for hydro dams?

And – what is the lifespan of wind turbines, solar panels, batteries?

Again – I don’t have the answers but I do have a reasonably open mind to hear opinions as I do think it makes sense to make an effort to look for better forms of energy. (but I don’t subscribe to the school of though that we need to immediately stop burning fossil fuels and cross our fingers that somehow the alternate energy just takes over).

So – what are the thoughts/learnings of the MLP crowd?

(without getting political – keep it respectful and open minded)

If this works - we'll tackle the rest of societies issues next week :)

alstev

Reaction score
People need to quit debating whether everyone should have access to birth control, abortion, and even euthanasia. Anything that means less people is good. There were 4 Billion people on the planet when I was a kid, it's almost 8 Billion now. Doesn't matter if we get our pollution under control if we keep breeding like rabbits.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Prove to me that there is causation and we are the problem. Then we can talk about solutions!
I specifically said - "hypothetically" - give the environmental side the benefit of the doubt and see if that leads to a rational discussion.
So - suspend belief in causation and doomsday and whatever.
Then - play the game to see what the solutions might be.

Skeletor

Reaction score
There are no solutions when there is no problem.
Ok - just for you - let's pretend that oil and gas is running out. It will be all used up in 2030. :)
This is a game of make believe - as I specifically don't want another debate of the problem or lack of.
(granted - it is not my forum - but that was my hope on this thread)

Or another way to look at it... I am looking for ideas to cash in on the environmental craze - I want in on the cash. What are your suggestions on ideas I can sell to the masses?

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
These comments by @Dun Ringill remind me of the cartoon that says, "what is this is all a hoax and we end up saving the planet for nothing?"

I, for one, am making an effort to cut back as much as I can on single-use plastics. Reusable grocery/shopping bags, not buying food that comes in plastic clamshell packaging, not buying/using Ziploc bags, etc. It's surprising how little effort it takes to come up with alternatives that don't inconvenience me (God forbid).

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
The Chinese are primed to kick our ass in renewable energy like everything else. Do we really want to just let that happen?

Yes, they burn coal now - they know it is not sustainable.

Nuclear. After Fukushima, there will be a lot of resistance. Much safer alternatives to traditional reactors are being developed. More investment is needed.

Skeletor

Reaction score
OP apparently didn’t see the anti-climate change thread with 450 replies.

If climate change is something important to you, this may not be the best place to discuss it.
I read that thread - specifically didn't participate as it is a pointless debate. See my post above - I want to make my millions on it and I don't have the "personality" to be a green crusader. So I need ideas on how to cash in :)

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Reaction score
Write and pass laws giving the government control of the private sector. Line your own pockets while producing new energy product. Stay elite.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Reaction score
These comments by @Dun Ringill remind me of the cartoon that says, "what is this is all a hoax and we end up saving the planet for nothing?"

I, for one, am making an effort to cut back as much as I can on single-use plastics. Reusable grocery/shopping bags, not buying food that comes in plastic clamshell packaging, not buying/using Ziploc bags, etc. It's surprising how little effort it takes to come up with alternatives that don't inconvenience me (God forbid).
Hey, if it helps you sleep at night, do it! I don't see a need for alternatives because it has not been shown that there is a problem.

Reactions: fry

Skeletor

Reaction score
Hey, if it helps you sleep at night, do it! I don't see a need for alternatives because it has not been shown that there is a problem.
Special game just for Dun...
If I did get in to a rational debate with the anti-oil crowd and they extol the virtues of Solar and Wind as my savior...
What are the facts of my counter argument against solar and/or wind?
(Fairly certain that we'll discover that they have just as significant an environmental impact as burning coal but I have no facts to back that up.)

Skeletor

Reaction score
Oh Christ on a dashboard..

Not again. Please, not again.
Sorry - I forgot that I am dealing with MLP backstage :)
Thought I had put enough rules in the game to keep it on the rails - I underestimated the power of the backstage.

I can kill it now (I think) if you want?

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Based on all the available evidence and my own processing of all I can read...I’m willing to say that man is contributing to a rise in average surface temps and ocean temps.

I don’t see an existential threat in the short to medium term. I am willing to reduce my own carbon footprint and have been doing so. I like the earth.

I think we need to be funding research into better, safer, nuclear energy. Solar and wind will never be sufficient.

Latest Threads