Cleaning up the muddy tone in my Les Paul Supreme? [SOLVED]

TriSarahPloop

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have for the last 6 months or so been absolutely crazy obsessed with my Les Paul Supreme, one small issue though, the 490r & 498T get muddy the second you add drive to this thing.

I normally don’t mind these pickups that much but in this case I feel they sort of take away from the rest of the guitar.

Anyone else out there have a supreme? What pickups do you find that brightens it up a little?

0BEF0A6F-8A75-4924-851C-C745EC82A510.jpeg

Reactions: Arf

TriSarahPloop

Reaction score
Have you tried to adjust your pickup's height and poles? Usually lowering the pickups and set the poles higher can help with the muddiness.
I have tried adjusting these in the past, I managed to get the neck sounded pretty good but have had no luck with the bridge.

TXOldRedRocker

Reaction score
I don't have a Supreme, but I bought a Tribute a couple fo months ago. I didn't care for the 490's. I don't know if you're looking for low output warm tones, or something with a little more bite? I replaced the 490's with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, and new wiring. Wow!! What a difference. Love the sound from that guitar! Semi-aggressive that make my Marshall tube amp sing!

I have a LP 60's Standard with Burstbuckers. In a couple of weeks, it's getting some Lindy Fralin Pickups and some new wiring. That's one is going to be pure 50's PAF sounding.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
i would love a supreme...it’s a dream though...too expensive for my budget

anyhow, if u plan on keeping it, swap them if u don’t like the tone...
im all for making every lester sound exactly like u want

-chris

TriSarahPloop

Reaction score
I don't have a Supreme, but I bought a Tribute a couple fo months ago. I didn't care for the 490's. I don't know if you're looking for low output warm tones, or something with a little more bite? I replaced the 490's with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, and new wiring. Wow!! What a difference. Love the sound from that guitar! Semi-aggressive that make my Marshall tube amp sing!

I have a LP 60's Standard with Burstbuckers. In a couple of weeks, it's getting some Lindy Fralin Pickups and some new wiring. That's one is going to be pure 50's PAF sounding.
Yeah sorry should have mentioned I’m aiming for a something a little bit on the hot side but my main goal is note clarity and definition.

Saiko

Reaction score
Be mindful... it is a PITA to change pickups/pots in those!

I can't help much with the bridge as I have never found the 498 to be too muddy. As far as the 490 in the neck, I have found that swapping the magnet for a short Alnico 5 magnet can do wonders for that pickup in a dark guitar. Otherwise I can only say, as others have suggested, keep adjusting the pickup to try and find the sweet spot.

Best of luck, Supremes are amazing guitars and yours is gorgeous!

TriSarahPloop

Reaction score
Be mindful... it is a PITA to change pickups/pots in those!

I can't help much as I have never found the 498 to be too muddy. I can only say, as others have suggested, keep adjusting the pickup to try and find the sweet spot. Best of luck, Supremes are amazing guitars!
That’s exactly what’s putting me off changing them, it’s a bit of a pain to do so. I actually like the set in most other guitars I had them in but the supreme seems to add a little more darkness to the sound, I was surprised by this considering the sheer amount of maple on the thing.

Reactions: Arf

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Check pots and caps, as has been mentioned.

I'm generally of the opinion that you can fix this issue on any guitar with a proper setup and don't have to resort to changing anything. Lower the pckups significantly, I really do mean a ton compared to factory setup on many Les Pauls. You will also probably want the bass side of the pickup lower than the treble side.

Mess with the pole piece height to get good string-to-string volume, which means that you will want your treble side pole pieces higher than the bass side ones. Remember that the loudest string on your guitar is actually the G-string (with most string sets), then I think the low E-string. The two strings with the least output are the D and high E strings. This is because it's actually just the solid core of the string that gets magnetized, not the windings, so on most string sets the G-string is actually the one with the thickest core. Regarding pole piece height, you most likely want it to go roughly (read from EADGBE strings) lower than flush, flush with the top of the pickup, higher than flush, lower than flush, flush, higher than flush.

Getting that set correctly can work wonders, and almost no-one knows how to set pole pieces correctly. Many videos out there about guitar setup have it all wrong, recommending that you follow the curvature of the neck, but absolutely do not do that.

Last edited:

RocketKing

Reaction score
I agree with the other suggestions regarding pick up height, wiring harness ecc.
Apart that, how about an eq pedal? Might help

TriSarahPloop

Reaction score
Check pots and caps, as has been mentioned.

I'm generally of the opinion that you can fix this issue on any guitar with a proper setup and don't have to resort to changing anything. Lower the pckups significantly, I really do mean a ton compared to factory setup on many Les Pauls. You also might want the bass side of the pickup lower than the treble side.

Mess with the pole piece height to get good string-to-string volume, which means that you might want your treble side pole pieces higher than the bass side ones, especially if you have the bass side of the pickup lower than the treble side. Remember that the loudest string on your guitar is actually the G-string (with most string sets), then I think the low E-string. The two strings with the least output are the D and high E strings. This is because it's actually just the solid core of the string that gets magnetized, not the windings, so on most string sets the G-string is actually the one with the thickest core. Regarding pole piece height, you most likely want it to go roughly (read from EADGBE strings) lower than flush, flush with the top of the pickup, higher than flush, lower than flush, flush, higher than flush.

Getting that set correctly can work wonders, and almost no-one knows how to set pole pieces correctly. Many videos out there about guitar setup have it all wrong, recommending that you follow the curvature of the neck, but absolutely do not do that.
I will definitely give this another go when I get home thanks for the in depth suggestion!

Latest Threads