Cleaning up nut slot after gluing

ejendres

Reaction score
How do you guys go about cleaning up the nut slot/area after you glue on the fretboard? I've used a chisel or a standing block in the past but I'm not 100% with my results.

I'd love to buy the stew mac file but $50 seems a little steep for it.

pshupe

Reaction score
I made a small piece of wood and stuck some sandpaper on the bottom. I usually have a thicker than average veneer so I would need the stew mac chisel or this sand paper stick because it's a 3 sided area.

Cheers Peter.

PS - looks like Freddy and I are at our computers this morning! ;-)

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes we are! Same with me regarding the small piece of wood and stuck sandpaper. But I glue the sandpaper on with CA. I don't like the 'cushion' effect when using double stick carpet tape. So I flatten the slot with that first, then chisel out the corners to a nice sharp 90 degree.

ejendres

Reaction score
I've been going through amazon hoping to track down a file similar to the Stew Mac one with no luck :lol:

I can stick with the stand paper and a block then. I've need been properly shown how to chisel, how would you guys go about it? I really don't want to knock the nut pocket out of square or gouge anything.

pshupe

Reaction score
If you are just trying to clean out the glue? I would come straight down the face of the board and pry the glue out. It should snap out. I always wear magnifying glasses and have good lighting. Of course I do have one of those 3/16" files from Stew Mac too. ;-)

Some small needle files would work as well.

Cheers Peter.

moreles

Reaction score
Hmmm.... I just use a file and it comes out pretty perfectly: flat bottom, square, clean angle. Usually, though, I can just use a sharp knife to "chisel" out excess glue. I would use a chisel if I were any good at sharpening them, but I'm not, so I don't.