Cleaning up headstock angle

ejendres

Reaction score
Give me your thoughts on the best way to do this. I made a just for my bandsaw to cut a 12deg headstock angle for a neck I'm building.

The jig worked well and I cleaned up the face on my belt sander. It seems I sanded in a slight tilt towards the bass side. How should I go about squaring this up? Hand sanding?

Sadly I didn't notice until after the glued the fretboard on and trimmed the neck.

You can see how the angle drifts from my original line here:

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
Give me your thoughts on the best way to do this. I made a just for my bandsaw to cut a 12deg headstock angle for a neck I'm building.

The jig worked well and I cleaned up the face on my belt sander. It seems I sanded in a slight tilt towards the bass side. How should I go about squaring this up? Hand sanding?

Sadly I didn't notice until after the glued the fretboard on and trimmed the neck.

You can see how the angle drifts from my original line here:
I'd use a plane, and finish with a good, flat, sanding block. Just go slowly. I'd draw a pencil line squarely across as a guide

ejendres

Reaction score
I'd use a plane, and finish with a good, flat, sanding block. Just go slowly. I'd draw a pencil line squarely across as a guide
I've barely used a plane. What recommendations can you give for not screwing up the neck?

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
I've barely used a plane. What recommendations can you give for not screwing up the neck?
Well, you can achieve the same thing with a sanding block, it'll just take a little longer. The key is going slow and checking your progress very often to avoid taking off too much.

If you use a plane just make sure the blade is really sharp and you only take off very thin shavings. As with sanding, pause frequently to check your progress

pshupe

Reaction score
If you are not good with a hand plane use a sanding block. You can use a really coarse grit if you like, just take a few swipes and check angle / line. I normally use a hand plane but the concept would be the same. I have marked the edge all the way around and then just sand to the line. you can start with 60 grit and work your way up to get rid of the heavy scratches. It should go quickly. The head stock doesn't have to be the same thickness all the way around. It would have to be out by quite a bit for it to be noticeable. Ideally the tuning pegs should stick above about the same. Nice template. Is that cut from the master or did you make a new master?

Cheers Peter.