Cleaning Nitro finish - need advice

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
Just a quick question my friends - can i safely use this guitar polish on my 17' 58 Reissue with Nitro finish? Thank you all in advance

cleaner 2.jpg

cleaner.jpg

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
Well this is the one I got. I dont want to trow it away, I just want to know if its safe to use....

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Never seen that one before. Google it or Google the ingredients in the Gibson polish and see if they match the back of yours. For some reason I think many of the ones for nitro make mention of it but I'm certainly no polish expert. But I'm sure someone here has seen it.

Pappy58

Reaction score
:dunno: I'm not a big fan of goop or glossy looking finishes. I typically just wipe mine down with an ever so slightly damp cotton diaper. If there is a buildup of smutz, then a little Naptha and then the damp diaper.

On the occasion I do need some goop, it's Virtuoso! As far as the OP, if it does not say "safe for Nitro", I wouldn't use it.
:cheers2:

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
:dunno: I'm not a big fan of goop or glossy looking finishes. I typically just wipe mine down with an ever so slightly damp cotton diaper. If there is a buildup of smutz, then a little Naptha and then the damp diaper.

On the occasion I do need some goop, it's Virtuoso! As far as the OP, if it does not say "safe for Nitro", I wouldn't use it.
:cheers2:
Thank you Pappy. This is the one that sells the most in Thomann ( Europe ). I guess ill have to stick with microfibre cloth...

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
I typically just wipe mine down with an ever so slightly damp cotton diaper.
Do diapers help you achieve that ever-elusive Brown Sound? :rofl:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist! :)

In all seriousness, OP, I wouldn’t use that polish because it says, “contains petroleum distillates.” I don’t know if that means silicone or what, but I’d buy something better and make sure that it’s safe for nitro. If I had a high-value/high-cost instrument like a Historic Reissue, I absolutely would spend good money on quality cleaning and care products for it, and not use whatever I happened to have on hand. Just my 2¢.

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
Do diapers help you achieve that ever-elusive Brown Sound? :rofl:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist! :)

In all seriousness, OP, I wouldn’t use that polish because it says, “contains petroleum distillates.” I don’t know if that means silicone or what, but I’d buy something better and make sure that it’s safe for nitro. If I had a high-value/high-cost instrument like a Historic Reissue, I absolutely would spend good money on quality cleaning and care products for it, and not use whatever I happened to have on hand. Just my 2¢.
Thank you for your advice. Well its not a cheap polish. It actually costs more then the Gibson Pump Polish and I dont want to wait for a week if I order it now....But i guess ill have to

guitarded_82

Reaction score
Should be fine. Petroleum distillates are mineral oil. Which is safe on nitro at much higher concentration.

Test it on the bottom of the guitar, the end grain has a lot more dye and will be less noticeable if some of it rubs off.

Inside of control cavity works too, for testing corrosion. But, IMO a reissue isn't a great guitar to test anything but pick ups and rockstar poses.

ClashCityRocker

Reaction score
some people might scoff at this but you could always do a small patch test on the ass end

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
some people might scoff at this but you could always do a small patch test on the ass end
Nah, I just dont want to risk it now, most people here agree I shouldnt. Pappy said to use Naptha - is that Zippo fuel??? ( like I said im from Europe :) )

Neffco

Reaction score
Nah, I just dont want to risk it now, most people here agree I shouldnt. Pappy said to use Naptha - is that Zippo fuel??? ( like I said im from Europe :) )
Please do not use lighter fluid. Apparently the formula has changed. It used to be naphtha.

I know this from reading 42 pages of nonsense on ruining a finish. I would stick to the Gibson polish on my custom shop guitars.

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
Please do not use lighter fluid. Apparently the formula has changed. It used to be naphtha.

I know this from reading 42 pages of nonsense on ruining a finish. I would stick to the Gibson polish on my custom shop guitars.
Thank you. Gibson has many polishes, whats the one for nitro finish guitars, can you put a link please?