Cleaning Hardware

etr102

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a silly question.

I've got a 2017 Les Paul Standard. During every string change I always try to keep the body of the guitar polished up, the fingerboard oiled, etc. But one thing I've noticed is that some of the hardware (specifically the bridge) has started to have a bit of a 'gungy' feeling to it. Whats the best/safest way to clean this type of hardware?

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Does it have a nickel finish or is it chrome? Chrome will shine forever when cleaned regularly, nickel hardware will start to look dull over the time.

etr102

Reaction score
Not 100% sure. It's a 2017 Gibson Les Paul Standard in Blueberry Burst finish, so whatever they were putting on that particular model, guitar is unmodded.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
A word to the wise, you can over oil your fret board causing frets to lift. I, for one, never oil. Also, some polishes don’t interact well with some metal finishes, especially gold plating. If your plating is nickel, it will look gray and may wear away over time. Regular steel chrome will look silver for years and is very durable. Look on the slip in your case candy, if the model number ends in NH1, it has nickel. If it ends in CH1 it has chrome. Chrome can pit depending on how acidic your sweat is and will not polish out if that happens.

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's chrome hardware on your 2017 Std... For the fretboard: It's good to clean and care but there's also a "too much". Use the Lemon Oil every 3-5 months when the fretboard seems to be too dry.

moreles

Reaction score
Polishing the guitar and oiling the fretboard are both unnecessary, though some Gibson fretboards are so poorly smoothed and prepped that they are an exception. As for the metal, nickel has a warm luster and chrome has a hard, cold glint. A little practice, and you can tell by looking. My guess is that yours is chrome. I used to prefer nicel, but now that every maniac is doing chemical or physical aging of their nickel parts, the contrarian in me has gravitated to clean chrome.

Side Burns

Reaction score
Use an old t-shirt or other soft cotton cloth to wipe down lmho

Latest Threads