Cleaning a Case

Tanqueray

Reaction score
This is probably an odd question, but I recently received a guitar case that had some adhesive residue on the outside; probably from stickers the old owner removed. The case was also packed in a box full of styrofoam packing peanuts. Naturally, a whole bunch of these stuck themselves to the case and while I'm happy to have a hard shell case, it definitely looks strange with bits of styrofoam stuck all over the top.

So I'm wondering what I should use to clean it off. It's one of the Gibson USA hard cases that are brown on the outside and pink on the inside. I have no idea what material it's made of, so I'm not sure what products are safe to use to remove all of the sticky residue.

And yes, I'm aware it's just a case, and that it doesn't really matter if it looks nice or not, but I paid for it so I'd like it to look nice for at least a little while. :laugh2:

ajay

Reaction score
WD40 works really good to clean stains off of vinyl Siding. As long as the case is vinyl and not leather, try a little WD40 on a rag and gently try it on the least conspicuous spot. It should work.

Justin_Case

Reaction score
A hair dryer to heat up the gummed up glue and a terry / cotton cloth ( wash cloth ) will go a long way to getting up the bulk.

Acetone / Nail polish remover work with an old tooth brush should easily get the rest.

christopherJ

Reaction score
A hair dryer to heat up the gummed up glue and a terry / cotton cloth ( wash cloth ) will go a long way to getting up the bulk.

Acetone / Nail polish remover work with an old tooth brush should easily get the rest.
Be very careful with acetone on the case as it may attack it. Test on a very small part of the case in an inconspicuous area first if you must.

I wouldn't have acetone anywhere near my cases or guitars.

Justin_Case

Reaction score
Be very careful with acetone on the case as it may attack it. Test on a very small part of the case in an inconspicuous area first if you must.

I wouldn't have acetone anywhere near my cases or guitars.
The acetone should be used very sparingly and wiped off quickly from the tolex. - it breaks dow the gum in almost no time. Don't let it sit. Again this would be for the residual glue that would left in the crevasse in the tolex's grain.

Campbell

Reaction score
I would not even think of using acetone. Bad idea!
Good ol' Goo Gone will do the job. Followed up by Armor All.

christopherJ

Reaction score
The acetone should be used very sparingly and wiped off quickly from the tolex. - it breaks dow the gum in almost no time. Don't let it sit. Again this would be for the residual glue that would left in the crevasse in the tolex's grain.
IMO, there are better alternatives to acetone as suggested here. With a little time and patience there really is no reason to use something as aggressive as acetone.

However, do what thou wilt. :cheers:

Justin_Case

Reaction score
IMO, there are better alternatives to acetone as suggested here. With a little time and patience there really is no reason to use something as aggressive as acetone.

However, do what thou wilt. :cheers:
I value my time :)

I've done it dozens of times - the key point at hand is that it is not for removing the bulk of the gum, That should be done with the dryer and cloth towels. Acetone works very well to get the remainder out of the
glue in the grain.

NHTom

Reaction score
Many good tips on cleaning.

Once clean, I use a product made by the car car company Mothers.

It's called "Back to Black" and it's for bumpers, vinyl tops, etc

It cleans, shines and protects like armor all, but doesn't leave everything greasy.

NHTom

MusicLaw

Reaction score
+1 for the Goo Gone and Back to Black automotive products. You could also try any of the numerous Bug and Tar auto remover products. Lexol also makes a great cleaner to finish with.

Al Walker

Reaction score
Mineral Spirits works and I haven't had any problems with anything yet.

Axeman16

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
what about the inside? ive noticed the fur lining sheds so imagine vaccuum would not be a good idea.

emerald81

Reaction score
Try alcohol, I used for something similar and it works.

Justin_Case

Reaction score
what about the inside? ive noticed the fur lining sheds so image vaccuum would not be a good idea.
Most household vacuums have a sliding collier that let's you create a reduced suction by letting air come in the side of the nozzle. This is often used with a brush attached for drapes to be gentle. Works well on cases.

vankaye

Reaction score
WD40 is harmless to vinyl. Its just fish oil. It cuts adhesive and shines it!

Goo-gone is Xylene. Very hard on most materials.

Acetone can dissolve many plastics and acrylics.

Start with the most harmless and go from there...

Latest Threads