Classic vs. Standard 60's

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Black LP, get used Classic and call it a day. Doesn't sound like you want a black Custom...so...

Demon Dave

Reaction score
Anyway I’m proud of my “Classic” stock TRC, I’ll never change it ;)

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I’d rather pass it on to someone who’d get joy out of the guitar. I have seen the humbucker versions, I like the way they look
What did you end up getting, A Les Paul Classic or Standard 60's?

LTigh

Reaction score
Before I got my Standard '60s, I would have leaned heavily towards the Classic.

Unfortunately, current year Original Collection has absolutely ruined current year Modern Collection for me.

And that now-$300 difference between the two can easily be solved by suppressing your urge for shiny new sparklies and getting yourself a lightly used Standard that someone else has taken the depreciation hit on and worked out any issues that may have come about.

And yes, like the Batmobile, the Standard '60s DOES come in black, as an "Exclusive."

Then again, there may be specific features that you're specifically looking for in a Classic like weight relief, uncovered pickups and "pickup wiring options."

Unless those are must-haves (as far as "weight relief" is concerned, Original Collections can vary in weight, with 8.4lbs being the low end of the spectrum), I'd recommend the Standard '60s.

Demon Dave

Reaction score
If you get a Classic, you'll always wonder if you should have gotten a Standard. Just get a Standard.
My 1st Les paul was a 1980 Custom, sold...
then I jumped on 3 different standards, from 2004 to 2010 all the 3 are gone.
In 2019 finally I bought a Classic, this is the best Les Paul I’ve had, this is a keeper.
my 2 cents

Nintari

Reaction score
My 1st Les paul was a 1980 Custom, sold...
then I jumped on 3 standards, from 2004 to 2010 all the 3 are gone.
In 2019 finally I bought a Classic, this is the best Les Paul I’ve had, this is a keepe.
my 2 cents
Right. But if it was between a Classic and a Standard, and you really wanted the Standard, but you just didn't want to spend more money... his point makes sense, which is why he said it.

If you want a Classic, then of course you're going to happy. But if you settle, not so much. No one should ever settle for something other than what they want. If they do, it'll just mean discontentment until they finally rectify it.

Demon Dave

Reaction score
Right. But if it was between a Classic and a Standard, and you really wanted the Standard, but you just didn't want to spend more money... his point makes sense, which is why he said it.

If you want a Classic, then of course you're going to happy. But if you settle, not so much. No one should ever settle for something other than what they want. If they do, it'll just mean discontentment until they finally rectify it.
I wasn’t in search of a Classic , I simply was in a shop, played a standard ’50, then a standard ‘60, then a Classic, I could buy one of them, and I did.
Go, play, choose, is simple.

SLA1

Reaction score
Sorry i didnt read all the replyes. As an ownervof several standars gibsons and claasics from the 2000 an onward.. you would newer know if you dont try them out..the sonal quality of the wood in gibsons really are hit an miss. The best bet to get sn reasly good les paul is to get an made in japan greco or burny les paul from the 80s or early 90s or an gibson custom shop.
Other than that..just try them out. The big differens of current production is mainly in how the look. Get the one wich sound good aucustic and as light as possible ( snd pretty for you) the elektronics are cheap to change

Latest Threads