Classic vs. Standard 60s!

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
To me, the biggest difference is the Classic's weight-relived body and plain top. Even the pickups, the neck profile, and finish are the same. And with the Classic, you get coil tapping. With the Standard, you get better hardware and wiring. If you are looking to save a few bucks over the Standard, the Classic is the way to go. It would be a great choice, no doubt.

Gitter

Reaction score
You can't go wrong either way. I like both for different reasons. I appreciate the advancements Gibson has made on the Les Paul with the Classic but also love the old school heritage of the Standard.

Zylo

Reaction score
If the les Paul classics came with different finishes I’d easily go for one
I just have enough finances for one LP and I want that one up be the “one”
If I was to get a classic I’d still be looking at the standards thinking , that’s what I really want lol

Zylo

Reaction score
Then again virtual Namm is round the corner
Let’s see what finish Gibson release this year

Matopotato

Reaction score
Yeah, well I can tell you PCB would come off.

I live in Denmark, and our biggest store if you can say that, has been closed for months now due to bankcruptcy. If I'll be able to find one to try out, I can assure you it'll be overly priced, and that sucks
Buy from web? Ask them to personally pick out a nice copy for you and do intonation. Make sure they have a good return policy. Then it is both of you's interest to get it right the first time. I read that Sweetwater in US are good at this. Should work i Europe as well...

Dark Horse

Reaction score
I just got my 60's standard and it sounds great no special bonuses like coil tapping etc but I have some of that on my Studio LP anyway. For me it is a dream guitar (along with a 50's or VOS LP one day).

It all depends on what you want in the end though. There are lots of comparison clips on Youtube as well as the Gibson site itself.

Nintari

Reaction score
The 60's is straight up Les Paul. No weight relief, standard wiring... the real deal. The Classic is really only classic in name. Push pull pots? How is that classic?

If it were me, it'd fork over the extra five hundred every time.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
The 60's is straight up Les Paul. No weight relief, standard wiring... the real deal. The Classic is really only classic in name. Push pull pots? How is that classic?

If it were me, it'd fork over the extra five hundred every time.
Gibson's naming conventions do amaze me sometimes. "Standard" to me sounds like a more stripped back guitar for example akin to a Studio, whereas "Classic" or "Traditional" have the more appealing upmarket names.

AJK1

Reaction score
I bought a new Translucent Cherry Classic a few weeks ago as my beater as I have 2 Tokai Premium LP that are killer that only rehearse, gig or record
The Classic appealed to me for its looks and it’s sound options
It’s a bit rough here and there compared to the Tokai’s flawless build and playability but with some tweaking I’ve made it play a lot better
I’m thinking I may get an Earvana compensated nut for it as the current one is diabolical
I’m getting my local luthier to check it out tomorrow and see if he can improve things with it
But otherwise I love bashing it around and not caring if it’s scratched etc

Last edited:

dro

Reaction score
I have 5 Standards and 1 Classic. I have my #1 Standard for studio. A different #1 Standard for stage. The Classic is a bit different flavor. But it has become my backup for stage. I like it very much. No coil taps. I have bought one coil tapper in the past. It's gone now. I would not buy another coil tap guitar.

Michael M.

Reaction score
When I was shopping guitars at GC I tried the 50s and 60s Standards and the Classic.

The Classic actually felt and sounded the best from my small sample size of 3. Like the Original poster . . . I just couldn't make one ONE Les Paul a finish I wasn't in love with. Although that wine red is really growing on me.
So, I bought a used Traditional 2017 and got both the great looks and feel.

I think, unfortunately a lot of it was luck.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I’m deciding between a used R0/G0, standard 60’s or classic now. Can’t speak for the Standard 60’s which I’m hoping to try soon, but when I played the new 2020 Classic, and 2020 50’s Standard in the store, the Classic won out considerably for me.

They’re obviously different feeling and sounding guitars, but I didn’t feel like the Classic was inferior in build quality, maybe it was just that example but I certainly didn’t think the Classic was lacking anything compared to the Standard.
Lol just stumbled upon this...I posted this back when I just started my search for my Les Paul. I’d say it aged well.

I ended up trying and loving the standard 60’s more than the classic and standard 50’s. So much so, I brought the standard 60’s home. It was best of both worlds, hot pickups and slim neck like the classic, but no weight relief and hand wired without the PCB like the classic.

So, I guess I’d say, standard 60’s beats both...at least for me.:rofl:

Last edited:

diogoguitar

Reaction score
nice guitar. But the standard 50's doesn't come with pcb either

Lol just stumbled upon this...I posted this back when I just started my search for my Les Paul. I’d say it aged well.

I ended up trying and loving the standard 60’s more than the classic and standard 50’s. So much so, I brought the standard 60’s home. It was best of both worlds, hot pickups and slim neck like the classic, but no weight relief and hand wired without the PCB like the standard 50’s.
So, I guess I’d say, standard 60’s beats both...at least for me.:rofl:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Both Standards are hand wired.
The Classic and I think Modern are PCB with push-pull pots
Not sure about the Studio.

AJK1

Reaction score
I bought a new Translucent Cherry Classic a few weeks ago as my beater as I have 2 Tokai Premium LP that are killer that only rehearse, gig or record
The Classic appealed to me for its looks and it’s sound options
It’s a bit rough here and there compared to the Tokai’s flawless build and playability but with some tweaking I’ve made it play a lot better
I’m thinking I may get an Earvana compensated nut for it as the current one is diabolical
I’m getting my local luthier to check it out tomorrow and see if he can improve things with it
But otherwise I love bashing it around and not caring if it’s scratched etc
Had it set up and the nut filed etc today and it plays great now
I forgot to mention I also like the fact that it is weight relieved as in my experience over the years, lighter Les Pauls sound better acoustically and plugged in

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Thanks!
Ugh that was a typo, I meant to say standard 60’s doesn’t have the PCB like the CLASSIC.:doh:

It’s got the solid body and hand wiring like the standard 50’s, but the slim neck and hotter pickup like the classic. Hence best of both worlds if someone is between the classic and standard 50’s.

Last edited:

Latest Threads