Classic vs. Standard 60s!

jodybriggs

Reaction score
^There have only been 3 replies in the thread, and 2 of them are yours. Do you truly think that is enough to form a valid hypothesis??
Or is the usual strawman
Pretty sure he just meant in general and not relating the comment to this thread. No need to jump on him.

Cory

Reaction score
Does it have to be new? What about a used R8? To answer your question, what is your preference in neck size? That alone might tell you all you need to know to decide ‍♂ - I’d say go classic and then make it your own (ebony would be my preference) - doesn’t get much classier than a black LP - then just swap the electronics, wiring, knobs, etc. to whatever you want.

Sparkyshows

Reaction score
I went with a 2019 classic and couldn’t be happier. I bought it from Sweetwater. It was a demo. I emailed them and asked if the already discounted price was the best they could do and they replied with a further discount. Overall I saved @$500.
I couldn’t find a used one any cheaper and almost tore my back pocket off trying to get my wallet.
‘the guitar is ebony with uncovered zebra pickups. All 4 pots are push pull with quick connections. I‘m very happy with the tones (plural) it produces. If I want to change them out it is an easy process and doesn’t really devalue the guitar like it might on another model. Same with the Grover tuners. I’m happy with them and prefer them over the kluson style, but if I put on locking ones no one will cry foul if I decide to sell later. I’m also happy that the coloring on the classics is more realistic now than in the past when the inlays were greenish.
My plan is to keep this one. Like forever.
‘my two cents...

madh4ttr

Reaction score
I would never be happy with less than a standard. All LP models are nice. Just personal preference. To ME, when Gibson came back out with non weight relief and no gimmicks like coil tapping (which I hate), it was a no brainer. I would say go with the Standard but only you can make that call, just giving you my opinion.

Last edited:

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both are awesome...
im a classicophile...
but the standard 60s are bananas

id rather have a classic and dsl amp for the same price...
if u already have a dsl, go with either...can’t be wrong

-chris

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
OP, if all you care about is the bridge pickup, then why do you want a 2-pickup guitar? Are you planning to ignore the neck pickup and never use it, or maybe even remove it entirely? Do you just want that classic Les Paul look? And that's a totally legit reason, in my opinion - guitars are beautiful works of art, on top of being playable instruments.

Juniors are a slab (flat) body, whereas Standards and Classics have a carved maple top. I like the feel of the carved top, I find it to be much more comfortable than slab bodies, but YMMV - and if you find that you don't like the extra thickness and the shape of a guitar with a carved top, then you might have a hard time enjoying your new guitar. I'm the opposite; I've owned several carved-top Les Pauls, and every time I think I want a Junior and I try one out, I realize how much I miss that carved top.

Personally, I think that if you sell or trade your Junior, you'll regret it in the long run.

Have you ever considered a Les Paul CM? Gibson made them in 2015 and 2016. They're oddballs, but they're really killer guitars. Thinner body than a normal Standard but still has a carved top, just one pickup (bridge-position humbucker), satin black finish, no frills (except for those "robot" tuners that many people remove in favor of more traditional tuners)... Literally the only thing I don't like about them is the belly cut along the back, and only because it's not what I'm used to with my other Les Pauls. If you love your Junior and you just want a guitar with a humbucker, then I suggest you should check them out online and see if you can find one near you.

LPCM16SESN1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Zylo

Reaction score
I've been seriously considering a classic v standard 60s
Unfortunately In the UK there's like only 2 finishes and they're not just appealing to me
As this would be my first gibson I just don't want to be half happy with it, if that makes sense

zdoggie

Reaction score
be sure to check out the traditional I have one the neck on mine is just slightly smaller than a 59 reissue it sounds and plays like butter string bending is really easy I ove mine and the price isnt ridiculous !

zdog

Zylo

Reaction score
Which 59 reissue are you referring to please?

CattleDog

Reaction score
I was fortunate that my local dealer just got a shipment in the day I showed up so I was able to try a large variety of Classics and Standards. Honestly wasn’t much to choose between the Classic and the 60’s Standard tone or feel wise, I’d have been happy with any of the 7 they had, but the one Classic I bought just made me smile a touch more. I could care less about the push pull options, and in terms of weight - my Classic was a few ounces more than all the 60’s standards, so maybe they fill the 9 holes with iron? Bottom line, they’re both excellent. Even the Studios were great, and for the heck of it I tried a Tribute and that was great too!

Zylo

Reaction score
I was fortunate that my local dealer just got a shipment in the day I showed up so I was able to try a large variety of Classics and Standards. Honestly wasn’t much to choose between the Classic and the 60’s Standard tone or feel wise, I’d have been happy with any of the 7 they had, but the one Classic I bought just made me smile a touch more. I could care less about the push pull options, and in terms of weight - my Classic was a few ounces more than all the 60’s standards, so maybe they fill the 9 holes with iron? Bottom line, they’re both excellent. Even the Studios were great, and for the heck of it I tried a Tribute and that was great too!
Your not making it easier for me lol

but luckily my hand is forced cos o only have a choice of 2 finishes for classics which will make me keep looking up for a next guitar

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was torn also. I played one, and my salesman from guitar center played the other, and then we switched. I'm more of a traditionalist, did not want the push pulls, or weight relief, although that is just me. I would have been VERY happy with either, and not looked back, but I got 20% off, so I got the one that really made me happier, (see avatar). AGAIN, I would have been happy with either.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be new?

I'll take my 2017 Classic T over any standard.Locking tuners, 57 Classic and Classic + pickups, 9 hole weight relief.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I was torn also. I played one, and my salesman from guitar center played the other, and then we switched. I'm more of a traditionalist, did not want the push pulls, or weight relief, although that is just me. I would have been VERY happy with either, and not looked back, but I got 20% off, so I got the one that really made me happier, (see avatar). AGAIN, I would have been happy with either.
Wow, honest question but how did you get Gutiar Center to agree to 20% off? I heard they’re pretty set in their pricing unless you can find a better deal on sweetwater or another major retailer for them to price match. I couldn’t get them to budge on an Ibanez back in the spring.

Does it have to be new?

I'll take my 2017 Classic T over any standard.Locking tuners, 57 Classic and Classic + pickups, 9 hole weight relief.
How do the 57 Classic and Classic + stack up against the 61R/T in the current classics?

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, honest question but how did you get Gutiar Center to agree to 20% off? I heard they’re pretty set in their pricing unless you can find a better deal on sweetwater or another major retailer for them to price match. I couldn’t get them to budge on an Ibanez back in the spring.
How do the 57 Classic and Classic + stack up against the 61R/T in the current classics?

I deal with the same sales rep every time, and I have brought some big ticket items from him in the past. They get 2 20% off coupons every month. Given our history, if he has one, he uses it on me. He gets his commission, I get a discount. I've dealt with him for over 10 years.
No real recollection on the pick ups to be honest between the two, but i had the 57's in another guitar and loved them.

Latest Threads