Classic vs. Standard 60s!

lars.olsen_

Reaction score
I have finally decided that I wanna get rid of my Les Paul Jr. and go for a humbucker equipped guitar.

I know I know I still have lots of love for Jr.'s, I think it's time for some change, I've been unhappy with single coil for some time now.

Right away, I'd get a SD JB for bridge. I have been bridge PU only for a long time, neck pickup doesn't really matter to me.

The question is do you think Standard 60s is worth +$500 instead of Classic?

The really only difference I can see is the swiss cheese holes vs no holes and figured maple top vs plain. Both painted black, nothing would really change.

Quality-wise, are there any difference between the two? Has anyone noticed that?

Conveniently there is no place for me to try out both guitars, going all in for one guitar from Thomann is the best I can get.

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both!! Lame reply I know, but the best advice you will get.

I

Zylo

Reaction score
There doesn’t seem to be a lot of love for the classic though? Is that just the usual snobbery?

Knoby

Reaction score
I have a 2019 classic. There is nothing wrong with it in terms of quality. It feels and sounds great. A lot of people will tell you you need to rip out the pcb as soon as you get it, and replace it with hand wired harness. Not true.

Hand wired only allows you more flexibility to tinker with components if that is your thing.

However, every guitar will sound and feel slightly different. Even same models. It's always best to try before you buy.

Knoby

Reaction score
Just put a humbucker in your junior. LP standard or classic will also be so much heavier.

lars.olsen_

Reaction score
I have a 2019 classic. There is nothing wrong with it in terms of quality. It feels and sounds great. A lot of people will tell you you need to rip out the pcb as soon as you get it, and replace it with hand wired harness. Not true.

Hand wired only allows you more flexibility to tinker with components if that is your thing.

However, every guitar will sound and feel slightly different. Even same models. It's always best to try before you buy.
Yeah, well I can tell you PCB would come off.

I live in Denmark, and our biggest store if you can say that, has been closed for months now due to bankcruptcy. If I'll be able to find one to try out, I can assure you it'll be overly priced, and that sucks

lars.olsen_

Reaction score
Just put a humbucker in your junior. LP standard or classic will also be so much heavier.
If you're talking about a stacked P90, I'm sorry but I never really been into those designs, I have no idea why tho

mcmurrayandblonde

Reaction score
Quick question - the new 60s Standard doesn't come in black, right?

My first Gibson is an upgraded 2020 Classic. I read the new Standard is now basically the same guitar with different features). My Classic is awesome, but I may also have won the QC lottery.

For me personally, I wanted it to be upgraded/no push pull and got lucky I found a great one already spec'ed out like I would have done it myself.

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There doesn’t seem to be a lot of love for the classic though? Is that just the usual snobbery?
It has to be.. my 2019 classic is simply sensational directly out of the box...I can usually wear the new off a guitar pretty fast, but this one is truly special... better to me than any Gibson I have ever owned, and I've had several.

Different tastes for different folks

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to get a black one go with a classic...... Check out the LP modern in graphite, that is a killer guitar.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
They have the same pickups and you're switching one out anyway. The Standard 60's will be heavier, because of no weight relief, and will have hand wired basically compared to PCB. Other than that, I don't think there is much of a difference. I think the Classic is the best bang for your buck Les Paul, with a lot of extra features you choose to use or not use. In your case, you're taking off the PCB and will have it wired to your liking which is good and can be done when you get the SD JB put in the bridge. I say save the money and get the Classic, I love the Zebra's and the color choices are really good.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I’m deciding between a used R0/G0, standard 60’s or classic now. Can’t speak for the Standard 60’s which I’m hoping to try soon, but when I played the new 2020 Classic, and 2020 50’s Standard in the store, the Classic won out considerably for me.
They’re obviously different feeling and sounding guitars, but I didn’t feel like the Classic was inferior in build quality, maybe it was just that example but I certainly didn’t think the Classic was lacking anything compared to the Standard.

Latest Threads