Classic vs older Standard

dk2429

Reaction score
Looking for my THIRD Les Paul! I know I want a red one for sure..

Just kinda tossing the idea around of a translucent cherry Classic brand new or an older early 2000's Standard..? Right now I have a '12 Traditional in Chicago Blue with the classic 57's, and a '18 Tribute with the 490's. I LOVE the fatter 50's necks like on my Trad, but I've played the Classic many times and it gets harder and harder each time to walk away without one.

Just wondering what y'all would do in my situation! Classic in translucent cherry, or an early 2000's Standard in whatever kind of reds they offered at that time (Wine Red I'm assuming..?)

Thanks for any help!

pondcaster

Reaction score
I've not played any early '00 Standards & I'm guessing they're nice but I do own a '19 Translucent Cherry Classic that is very sweet. Just a rock and roll machine all the way around. Brightest LP I've owned, fwiw.

red.jpg

She's a looker as well!

dk2429

Reaction score
I've not played any early '00 Standards & I'm guessing they're nice but I do own a '19 Translucent Cherry Classic that is very sweet. Just a rock and roll machine all the way around. Brightest LP I've owned, fwiw.

red.jpg

She's a looker as well!
Literally the exact guitar I’m taking about.. I love them!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
2000 Standards were very, very good.
And that's before they mixed the specs with the Trad's
making the Trad's the Standard's and the Standard's something else...

Around 2002 Standard's were available with '59 Rounded or '60 Slim Taper necks.

Classic's from that era were also super cool.

Your choice!
:thumb:

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always go for new and classics…

however, this one caught my eye on reverb..

dk2429

Reaction score
I always go for new and classics…

however, this one caught my eye on reverb..

Yup! Been eyeing that one. I have a little more saving up to do however, so not right now unfortunately

dk2429

Reaction score
Also, if I do go with a Classic, I’m gonna wait until like October. That’s when GC has that sale and the Classic is like $1799

truckermde

Reaction score
Personally, I would choose the one with a fuller neck profile.

If that doesn't matter to you, then my next deciding factor would be pricepoint. I would not pay more for a (comparable) guitar from the 2000s than for a brand new one.

Nothing special about the 90s or 2000s, and they're never going to be "vintage".

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Classics. Prefer a beefier neck but the ones I've played and the one I own are fine guitars. AAMOF my classic cops the ZZ Top vibe the best of all my guits

dk2429

Reaction score
I’m honestly surprised that everyone is voting a new Classic. I was kinda expecting everyone to go Standard..

Makes sense though! My 2012 Trad is literally an early Standard with classic 57 pups… change it up a bit I guess!

dk2429

Reaction score
Also by the way..

I’ve never liked zebra pups, but over time they’ve really grown on me, especially on the red Classic’s.

If I decided I wanted to put covers on them, how much of a chore am I looking at?

mjross

Reaction score
Also by the way..

I’ve never liked zebra pups, but over time they’ve really grown on me, especially on the red Classic’s.

If I decided I wanted to put covers on them, how much of a chore am I looking at?
I tried to do covers only once! I now have my tech do it, lot less stressful! Lol…

dk2429

Reaction score
I tried to do covers only once! I now have my tech do it, lot less stressful! Lol…
Fair enough... If it's something that requires anything more than taking some screws out and replacing, I'll take it to a tech too.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I agree, just get a new Classic, a total rock machine for sure. Or go with a late 1990 to ANY 2000. Although, for what the used are selling for, you can get a brand-new Classic which are super sweet.

Knoby

Reaction score
Since you asked....... I would get a wine red custom.with a 60s or 70s neck.

Latest Threads