Classic PCB+pots weight?

RaistMagus

Reaction score
My Classic has a PCB with embeded pots and other components. I'm wondering how much weight would I gain if I swapped the PCB with just 4 pots and tone caps. Has anyone removed their PCB? Any idea how much it weighs? I'm not using any of the extra switching functionality (coil split, out of phase) so I won't miss it.

Edit: adding photo of pcb assembly

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
I doubt it will make a huge difference in the weight of the guitar. A few ounces?

Myself, I wouldn't change out the PCB just to save a small amount of weight. Change it only if you desire a different wiring harness/components, etc.

I might still have an SG PCB laying around here but if any completed non PCB harnesses are then they are ones I removed from my guitars and not new ones I've made to compare weight difference.

RaistMagus

Reaction score
I doubt it will make a huge difference in the weight of the guitar. A few ounces?

Myself, I wouldn't change out the PCB just to save a small amount of weight. Change it only if you desire a different wiring harness/components, etc.

I might still have an SG PCB laying around here but if any completed non PCB harnesses are then they are ones I removed from my guitars and not new ones I've made to compare weight difference.
Even a few ounces is a worthy improvement. Along with lighter tuners, aluminium bridge, removing cavity covers and pickguard, it will amount to something significant in the end.

I love the sound, looks and playability of that guitar but the 10 lbs are taking a toll on my lower back. I also got a wide cushioned strap to manage the weight.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
Has anyone removed their PCB? Any idea how much it weighs?
Yes, and we’re not even talking ounces.
Grams.

There is almost no metal on that circuit board.
With the board gone, you will be replacing it with copper wire.

Maybe only 6 inches of wire, but it’s probably as heavy as the plastic board.
You could make a bigger weight difference by choosing lighter pots.

As Roxy said, put pots and controls in the guitar that you prefer.
There is not enough weight savings to be found here to do any mods from that approach.

I was just thinking…
Did you take your pickguard off?

;)

ARandall

Reaction score
Yep, you might get a few grams out of taking it out. But you still have to connect with wire, and that will be heavier than the metal of the traces.
So much so that it would be I'm guessing a 100% utter waste of money to do it for weight savings.

VDeuce

Reaction score
I recently removed the PCB in a new 22 Classic and installed long shaft CTS pots and pio caps, shielded wiring, and the guitar did lose a little weight. I'll weigh the pcb and post it...

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a thread here where someone removed and or replaced everything on his guitar, with all the weights listed, before and after. I think he might have reduced the weight overall by a half pound.

zube

Reaction score
Last edited:

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I upgraded to 50s wiring, I got rid of the mouting shield plate as well (it wasn't PCB though).

The guitar was about 11oz lighter afterwards.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is also very nice and detailed:

VDeuce

Reaction score
Here are the PCB weights from a 2022 Classic with push/pull pots, with the jack cable:
  • .33 pounds
  • 5.3 ounces
  • 150 grams
I was surprised when I made the change, having thought it might actually weigh more with the long shaft pots, etc.. The guitar weighed 9.01 pounds stock and now weighs 8.98 pounds on a pretty accurate digital postal scale.

YMMV

Charlie51

Reaction score
Yes, and we’re not even talking ounces.
Grams.

There is almost no metal on that circuit board.
With the board gone, you will be replacing it with copper wire.

Maybe only 6 inches of wire, but it’s probably as heavy as the plastic board.
You could make a bigger weight difference by choosing lighter pots.

As Roxy said, put pots and controls in the guitar that you prefer.
There is not enough weight savings to be found here to do any mods from that approach.

I was just thinking…
Did you take your pickguard off?

;)

Yep, you might get a few grams out of taking it out. But you still have to connect with wire, and that will be heavier than the metal of the traces.
So much so that it would be I'm guessing a 100% utter waste of money to do it for weight savings.
I'd suggest only swapping out the PCB if you desire traditional or 50s wiring. That's a valid reason. Otherwise, play it. Play it some more. Tomorrow, play it again. Each day, play your guitar.

Charlie51

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a PCB in mine. When it effs up, I'll rewire it and ditch that damm board. I've become a member of "spending time on playing rather than modding" club. It's a sickness.

Leee

Reaction score
Here are the PCB weights from a 2022 Classic with push/pull pots, with the jack cable:
  • .33 pounds
  • 5.3 ounces
  • 150 grams
The guitar weighed 9.01 pounds stock and now weighs 8.98 pounds
Now, see?
Accurate information.
Weights down way beyond the decimal point.
And demonstrable results.

So any of you looking to save 0.03 pounds on your Les Paul?
Here’s an answer for you.

OK, I’m serious.
Does anyone have a small scale accurate in milligrams?
I don’t, or I would do it myself.

I want to know how much a pickguard weighs.
How much does a truss rod cover weigh?
Rear switch cover, and rear control cavity cover.
The individual screws.

Let’s gather this information, and get it out there as a service to anyone who can use it.

VDeuce

Reaction score
Now going to to a pickup swap; I'll see if that makes a difference, lol. This guitar is getting a PAF 36th neck and a super distortion bridge.

Leee

Reaction score
… pickup swap … a PAF 36th neck and a super distortion bridge.
Covered, or uncovered?
Are the pickups wax-potted?
2-lead, or 4-lead?

Did I think of everything?
Surely not…

Everybody!
Jump in here.

Leee

Reaction score
The only time I have EVER seen weight make a noticeable change on a guitar was when I swapped Klusons for Grovers on an SG.

A guitar that already neck-dives was noticeably worse.

I actually toyed with the idea of buying a wireless.
Something I never would’ve entertained before.
Never did it in the end.

But if I hung one on the guitar strap behind my right elbow, it just might be enough weight to counterbalance the Rotomatics out there on the other end…

Latest Threads