Classic or Traditional?

stratkat

Reaction score
Of the new Les Pauls that are currently available, why would you choose a Traditional over a Classic or vice-versa? Also, a Standard obviously costs more than both...are they worth the extra coin?

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
2017 goldtop classic wth 57 zebras
Or the 2017 ebony classic with mini humbuckers and bigsby...

It should be noted classics are my favorite guitar on earth so I'm kinda biased...

But come on, look at these!!

-Chris

1all's Pub

Reaction score
^^^ This... if you like a 60s neck get the classic. If you like a 50s get the Trad. Otherwise they are both pretty darn similar really. Pickups can be changed, hardware can be changed. Necks... not so much. If you're good with either a 50s or 60s, then I'd say get the Classic because it's $300 cheaper.

Ultimately though... if you're in a position that you can play an example of each... get the one that plays/feels/sounds the best. If you're buying online... it's a crap shoot as always.

NafriZiza

Reaction score
I choose Trad mainly because of the finish. I bought it from my local store. I try both Classic and Trad, and I can't felt any difference in neck thickness and the pickups sound.

In my local store, they only had Classics in Ocean Green Burst and HCS. And they only had one Trad in Honeyburst. So, I picked the Trad. If they had Classic in GT, I might bought Classic.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the new Les Pauls that are currently available, why would you choose a Traditional over a Classic or vice-versa?
Whatever feels right for you.

Both are in their own great guitars. I love both but if I really really really had to let one go it would be the Traditional (despite it`s sheer beauty).

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Personally, I would get a second hand historic for about the same.

Reaction score
I was torn between the classic, traditional and standard.
If the classic had come in light or honyburst I'd have bought it.
If the Trad had had a slimmer neck I'd have bought it.
Ultimately I bought the standard because of the neck and finish. The other two both have nickel hardware, which I would have preferred - but that is something that can be changed. The neck and finish not so much.

But - I played examples of all 3 and they were all great!

ESchmidt

Reaction score
If budget is a concern, I would go used. You can get a used standard for the price of a new Traditional or Classic.

JM2112

Reaction score
I would first look at what plays best in your hands and sounds best to your ears and then go from there. As far as buying new and USA models I've always preferred the Classics.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Whatever feels right for you.

Both are in their own great guitars. I love both but if I really really really had to let one go it would be the Traditional (despite it`s sheer beauty).
IF you ever do let that one go, I call dibs! :naughty:

Guitpicky

Reaction score
I paid $1625 for a brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard 2016t Limited Edition Mahogany Top from a private seller on craigslist. Unbelievably nice guitar, can't say much about the other two :)

jdto

Pretend Human
Reaction score
I prefer the Traditional because of the neck. The '16 Classic and '16 Trad are very close, apart from the neck.

williu

Reaction score
I bought the 2017 Classic T because it felt just amazing in my hands. I always pictured myself buying a flametop Traditional with a thick neck if I ever bought a new LP, but this Classic felt as if it was made for my hands...

irocdave12

Reaction score
I dig the limited edition Lemonburst traditional at Zzounds. You got the makings of a poor mans r8 there and could have a blast modding it

JM2112

Reaction score
I bought the 2017 Classic T because it felt just amazing in my hands. I always pictured myself buying a flametop Traditional with a thick neck if I ever bought a new LP, but this Classic felt as if it was made for my hands...
For my first LP I was going back and forth between a Standard and Traditional for hours at the store. They were really good guitars, but I was just not sold on either one. I tried a Classic Custom for the heck of it, and it was everything I was looking for.

Latest Threads