Class 5 speaker swap

Timshady

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a Marshall Class 5 combo and so far, I'm loving it! My only gripe is that the stock speaker seems a bit weak in the lows and the highs are a bit harsh.

I'm thinking about putting in a new speaker and wanted some people's opinions. Anyone have experience with the Celestion G10 Vintage and G10 Greenback?

Also, I was thinking about dropping in a G10 Gold in there but I know that with the magnet cover on the Gold, it won't fit. Anyone know if you can fit a Gold in there after taking the bell cover off? I've seen a few posts about people trying it, but no one actually reported back if it fit or not without the cover. It's a bit expensive to just experiment with on my own so looking for someone who may have already tried.

Thanks and cheers!

LesterNtele

Reaction score
I tried several with the amp. Nothing made it much better. I even tried 12" cabs. The Weber Blue Dog was better, but I still had to run an EQ in front of it to get it to sound better.
I wouldn't spend a bunch of money chasing around. Using the EQ was perhaps the best improvement I could get out of it.

Good luck.

Sock_Puppet

Reaction score
My vote is for the Tone Tubby 10 inch AlNiCo low watt. It has a hemp cone. I don't know if it fit though. I bet I would sound amazing.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Can you solder? Or know anyone who can?
Lyle laid out some pretty basic little mods to turn that thing into a great amp.
Do that, then email the guys at WGS with a description of what you want. They NAILED the tone I was after with my amp.

Timshady

Reaction score
I've tried a lot of different speaker brands like WGS, Weber, and Eminence. I always come back to Celestions at some point.

So thanks for the suggestions everyone but I'm much more interested in opinions on the 10 inch speakers that Celestion makes. I've had good experience with their 12 inch speakers but never used any of their 10's. I REALLY like their 12 inch Gold and would love to put one of their 10's in the amp, but don't know if it would fit when you remove the magnet cover.

Anyone done this?

EDIT: And I have only got about 10 hours of time on the stock speaker at this point. I know that it needs another 10-15 hours before break-in period is over. My only concern is that I've read even after break-in it still lacks the lows and highs still sound rather harsh. It's so harsh to me at this point that after 20 minutes of playing I have to take a break and come back to it. I've plugged it in to a friends 2x12 cab with Celestion G12Century's and it sounds AWESOME! I'm thinking a better quality speaker will sound much better than the stock one, and after break-in will be that much sweeter?

Comanche

Reaction score
Just use a retailer with a good return policy.
If doesn't fit correctly send it back.

George Jetson

Reaction score
I've tried a lot of different speaker brands like WGS, Weber, and Eminence. I always come back to Celestions at some point.

So thanks for the suggestions everyone but I'm much more interested in opinions on the 10 inch speakers that Celestion makes. I've had good experience with their 12 inch speakers but never used any of their 10's. I REALLY like their 12 inch Gold and would love to put one of their 10's in the amp, but don't know if it would fit when you remove the magnet cover.
I can't help with the combo fit question, but I do run my Class5 head into an Avatar cab loaded with a 10" Alnico Gold and the tone is nothing at all like the sound you are describing. It is tight, punchy and focused, lacking just a bit of the creamy goodness. To really get the C5 cooking, I have to almost dime it and then it is really loud through even through a single 10" speaker. To be quite honest, my HT-1Rh sounds better through that particular rig.

Timshady

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am thinking of returning the combo and getting the head version of the C5. This will remove that variable and allow me to use whatever speakers I want. I originally wanted the combo version for portability but I think getting a 1x12 or 2x12 cab will not only sound better but be more versatile anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll have to keep the link handy to the mod thread for the C5. Some nice looking mods there that may also help make this an even better amp!

Cheers! :dude:

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am thinking of returning the combo and getting the head version of the C5. This will remove that variable and allow me to use whatever speakers I want. I originally wanted the combo version for portability but I think getting a 1x12 or 2x12 cab will not only sound better but be more versatile anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll have to keep the link handy to the mod thread for the C5. Some nice looking mods there that may also help make this an even better amp!

The Class 5 definitely benefits from 12" speakers. I've got the combo and the head and the head sounds GREAT through my Marshall 1936 2x12 cab. But, the combo is a great little amp and the 10" speaker really gives it some punch. I prefer the combo for small practices or home use and the Head for recording and small gigs...yeah, I gig a Class 5 lol

Iron Broadsword

Reaction score

Good choice. The G10F-15 is imho a great 10" partner to the C5 because it makes that little box sound huge, but if you don't like it then I highly doubt you'd have ever been happy with ANY 10" speaker in there. And the C5 sounds incredible with all the great speakers out there so it'll really come down to which one has that certain something you're looking for. I'd hit Youtube speaker comparisons for a while to see which one has it. Be careful cause some of those are done poorly, but you can at least get a good idea from the ones that are done right.

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
Using the same combination as this guy. A 1965A cabinet with G10L-35's (although I have a combo instead of a head)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhMpQDpvwrA"]Marshall Class 5 Head w/Keeley SD-1 - YouTube[/ame]

1 speaker vs 4 speakers = world of difference

With a combo on top it looks like this (my grillcloth is a bit faded as you can see)

(new photobucket site ... no more linkage???)

Timshady

Reaction score
So before I make my final decision, I have one more question. I've searched all over to find the answer and I think I've found what I need, but not sure.

I play a lot at church and other places that have full sound systems. Can I use the headphone out on the Class 5 head version straight into a direct box and into the house sound? Will this signal be too hot? If so, will a simple master volume mod for the headphone out fix it?

Thanks in advance!

David Corrales

Reaction score
So before I make my final decision, I have one more question. I've searched all over to find the answer and I think I've found what I need, but not sure.

I play a lot at church and other places that have full sound systems. Can I use the headphone out on the Class 5 head version straight into a direct box and into the house sound? Will this signal be too hot? If so, will a simple master volume mod for the headphone out fix it?

Thanks in advance!
You'll probably want something to emulate a speaker or it'll be harsh and crappy. I just got a used Hughes & Kettner RedBox for $41 on eBay... might want to check it out.

AxeBuilder

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
I recommend using the Radial JDX. No master volume mod needed.

AxeBuilder

Reaction score
Using the same combination as this guy. A 1965A cabinet with G10L-35's (although I have a combo instead of a head)

Marshall Class 5 Head w/Keeley SD-1 - YouTube

1 speaker vs 4 speakers = world of difference

With a combo on top it looks like this (my grillcloth is a bit faded as you can see)

(new photobucket site ... no more linkage???)
Same here - 1965A + Class 5 head is killer combo!

Timshady

Reaction score
So if I used a DI box like the Radial JDX through the headphone out, would I still need to plug a cabinet into the DI?

Sorry for the newbish question, just not very familiar with the whole setup. My goal would be to have no speakers on stage and have everything go through the sound system. Our stage is rather small and I don't want the stage volume of a speaker cabinet distracting anyone if I don't have to.

Timshady

Reaction score
So researching this a bit, I think the H&K Red Box might be more what I'm looking for. Better price range for me at least.

I've found that if you are using a line out you can plug directly into the Red Box and not have to use a dummy load or speaker cab. Does the C5 headphone out act as a line out or no?

I use an in ear monitor when I'm playing so I don't need any speakers on stage at all and if I can plug the head into the Red Box and use the XLR into the PA, this would be the perfect setup for me.

Anyone know if this will work without having to use a speaker load on stage?

Thanks!

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score

Wasn't thrilled about the reviews I read about the Class 5 combo so I opted for the head

I paired mine with an extra 1974CX extension cabinet I have which sports an "aged" 12" 20w Greenback

While I think this is a bump for the Class 5, that is, running it through a 12'" Greenback, I still want Lyle to mod it once I get a few extra coins

For me, the Class 5 is close but no cigar – but could be given a chance... Otherwise, as is, I will eventually sell it

Regarding your situation, where you have a combo made to house a 10" I would lean toward a Celestion of some sort, possibly a Greenback

The above is based on nothing more than a gut feeling (Marshall + Celestion [by-in-large] = a natural fit) and a 42 year relationship with Greenbacks

Good luck!