Claptons 1954 strat on the auction block $1.5M est

JTM45

Reaction score
That’s a cool guitar but man, thats a big number

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
Well gee, won't you just give me a few months? I need to set up shop and sell loads of cheesesteak sammiches here so I can buy that thang!

DavGrape

Reaction score
Hilarious with a wah.
Does sound especially strat-like.

fleahead

Reaction score
Christ, I had a friend in the'80s who bought one of Hendrix's Strats for a mere $13K... wonder what THAT would go for now?

judson

Reaction score
Christ, I had a friend in the'80s who bought one of Hendrix's Strats for a mere $13K... wonder what THAT would go for now?
they advertise on their first page a Guild Starfire of Hendrix sold for $250k and they have a Melody Maker of his up in the same clapton auction now....min bid on that is $10k....they got alot of stuff ....

but i will be surprised if the clapton 54 gets the starting min bid of $1M, the first sucker paid $1M that owns it now and is trying to unload it.....well maybe he needed a big tax write off ....which is good and the charity got the cash but now....it probably wont hit that......i believe it was when clapton gave a bunch of guitars away to raise money for some charity...i think they mentioned that

Jimi Hendrix stage played 1967 electric guild Starfire V Cherry guitar
SOLD: $250,000.00

Last edited:

pmonk

Reaction score
Is it me or does the video show Clapton playing large headstock 70's era Strat?

Reactions: tzd

GySgtFTL

Reaction score
And I could make it sound as bad as the cheapest squire.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Is it me or does the video show Clapton playing large headstock 70's era Strat?
Yep, there is a brief clip showing Clapton playing a post '72 Strat. I have no idea when or why he was playing that, but the big head bullet truss rod wasn't a guitar he regularly used.

Just a screw up by whoever produced the vid.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't GC make a few "Brownie" reissues?

This is the Layla guitar, right?

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, there is a brief clip showing Clapton playing a post '72 Strat. I have no idea when or why he was playing that, but the big head bullet truss rod wasn't a guitar he regularly used.

Just a screw up by whoever produced the vid.
Maybe at G. Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh, or something with Harrison? After going solo Harrison played contemporary 3-bolt, large head Strats. Maybe Clapton played one of Harrison's for shits and giggles.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Didn't GC make a few "Brownie" reissues?

This is the Layla guitar, right?
Brownie was the Layla guitar. Clapton auctioned it off in '99. Paul Allen bought it and it's on display at his Experience Music Project museum in Seattle.

GC bought Blackie at the Crossroads '04 Auction and has it on display at their Times Square store. They also bought his red 335 and Stevie Ray's Lenny Strat at that auction, and commissioned Fender and Gibson to build limited batches of all three.

Brownie and then Blackie were his main Strats. He had the guitar in this auction at the same time. It toured with his main guitars so it saw significant use, but only for slide in open G for the songs Tulsa Time and Early In The Morning. So, "significant" but not really "legendary".

The auction house calling it the "Slowhand Strat" is a little misleading. It wasn't used on his "Slowhand" album -- Tulsa Time and Early In The Morning were on his next album, "Backless". And Blackie was the main Strat on both those albums (and he posed with Blackie for the cover photos on both albums).

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Maybe at G. Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh, or something with Harrison? After going solo Harrison played contemporary 3-bolt, large head Strats. Maybe Clapton played one of Harrison's for shits and giggles.
Concert for Bangladesh was August '71, so before Fender switched to bullet truss rods on Strats. And Clapton still had very long hair and no beard for Bangladesh.

His coiffure in the clip with the post'72 Strat suggests late '70s early '80s.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
George only did two solo tours. Dark Horse in '74 were all pre-CBS Strats, and the small Japanese tour in '91 was post-CBS FMIC small head Strats (and Teles).

Latest Threads