Clapton and Grover’s

RDeNatale

Reaction score
i just got a copy of Tony Bacons “The Gibson 335 Guitar Book,” and the picture of Claptons Es-335 that he played in the Royal Albert Hall final Cream performances got me wondering.

The photo which was take around the time of the Crossroads auction shows he had modded it. It has Grover Rotomatic tuners, and the truss rod cover says “custom.” Photos of the concerts show it had the original plastic knob Klusons, and a blank truss rod cover.

Now on to Les Pauls. The photos of his Burst on the “Beano” album show it with Grovers. I think it’s “canon” that Clapron removed the pickup covers.

Beano which was built on the cusp of 1959-60 undoubtedly sported the original Klusons when it left Kalamazoo. What I wonder if Eric changed the tuners himself. I’m not sure if it was new when he bought it from Selmer’s.

Given that he apparently was confused about the identity of the ES-335 when it was auctioned, thinking he bought it when he was in the Yardbirds; that guitar belonged to the band; he bought HIS shortly before the Cream RAH concerts; I guess we’ll probably never know.

ajory72

Reaction score
I think Page, Clapton, Harrison, Beck, Richards, Green and any other 'professional musician' of that era prefered the grover for reliablity - so it would stand to reason that when they were buying these the 'go' was to swap the tuners out for something they deemed better. Who knows what sort of tinkering these guys were up to off stage :)

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frampton too. It was very common to put Grovers on then.

Not that this matters to anyone but me, but I've always preferred them as well.

Airplane

Reaction score
love the looks because of clapton but don’t really prefer them. changes from day to day. klusons are excellent tuners…

i think someone started it and just like today, clapton wanted them because somebody else had it and they work just as good as the originals.

i‘m pretty sure tho that the stoner that clapton was back then did not do any work that involves a screwdriver or more.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love them.

@DADGAD has an addiction to them.
#metoo

20200905_161026_20200907204135864.jpg

MCT

Reaction score
Old Kludons didn’t stay in tune as well as Grovers. Not an issue with new Klusons

shark

Reaction score
Grovers have psy powers that come with them for FREE :)

Latest Threads