cities with the best rock music scenes.

bscenefilms

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, lemme stop you right there and offer up some friendly advice.

If your main goal is to demote mainstream music and what's popular today - you're going to fail and you're going to fail hard. The mainstream exists where the mainstream exists, let it sit there. Eventually it'll change, it always does, but it has its place in music. It's not an "us against them" thing, if you have that attitude with it you'll find yourself not focusing on your music, in favor of knocking down something popular.

Instead, focus on carving out a niche for yourself - you're a Rock guy, roll with that. Find places in whatever town you settle down in that play Rock either exclusively or mainly, and gig, gig, gig. Also, use social media to your advantage - people find bands through the Internet nowadays, never put gigging on the backburner, but having a strong online presence can only help you. Build up your fanbase from within and focus on that, rather than what's happening in the mainstream or anything else right now. You focus on you, not dubstep, it'll make things a lot easier on you, and it won't stress you out when you find yourself incapable of demoting popular music.

Also, just have fun with it - go all in on it, but remember that at the end of the day music is for fun - let the good times roll brother :dude:

/thread

ArrogantBastard

Reaction score
We've always had good luck in NY. NYC, Long Island, and even in upstate has been good to us. GREAT crowds.
Whatever you do, do NOT move to Detroit. ha!

voodo child

Reaction score
If you want extreme metal.....

GOTHENBURG IS THE CITY YOURE LOOKING FOR.

There is a reason why there is a genre called "Gothenburg metal"

campbellj

Reaction score
I've always liked Austin for live music, living there is awesome too, great city all together.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd rock the sh*t out of Japan if I could get there. :thumb:

acstorfer

Reaction score
Nashville. From what I've heard, it's not just for country anymore.

Tozatron

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wish is was DC. Huge shows roll through here, but I haven't felt much of a regular local rock scene at the dives and small clubs.

NY had it going on when I lived there about 8 years ago! I'm sure it still does. You can find anything there.

You're in Rockville- that's only a stone's throw away. Doesn't the metro go from somewhere nearby?

I dunno about makin it big and kicking ass, OP, but Richmond has one of the most varied, open scenes ever. Anything goes here. And there's always work for a gigging musician.

iluvledzepp

Reaction score
Alright, lemme stop you right there and offer up some friendly advice.

If your main goal is to demote mainstream music and what's popular today - you're going to fail and you're going to fail hard. The mainstream exists where the mainstream exists, let it sit there. Eventually it'll change, it always does, but it has its place in music. It's not an "us against them" thing, if you have that attitude with it you'll find yourself not focusing on your music, in favor of knocking down something popular.

Instead, focus on carving out a niche for yourself - you're a Rock guy, roll with that. Find places in whatever town you settle down in that play Rock either exclusively or mainly, and gig, gig, gig. Also, use social media to your advantage - people find bands through the Internet nowadays, never put gigging on the backburner, but having a strong online presence can only help you. Build up your fanbase from within and focus on that, rather than what's happening in the mainstream or anything else right now. You focus on you, not dubstep, it'll make things a lot easier on you, and it won't stress you out when you find yourself incapable of demoting popular music.

Also, just have fun with it - go all in on it, but remember that at the end of the day music is for fun - let the good times roll brother :dude:

i do enjoy playing music, more than anyone you knwo probably, but i dont enjoy people listening to automated crap made on a computer and calling it music. and plus i don't consider dubstep "music" and i'm going to make it, howeverlong it takes until the day i die if that what it takes, but i have to unbrain wash my generation and ones to come. the only reason the music is there is cause we allow it to be there, we promote it. if we take care of that and bring back rock as the big thing, then my mission will be complete. it is possible, you just have to get a following, so dont say it wont happen.

GuitarToneFreak

Reaction score
i do enjoy playing music, more than anyone you knwo probably, but i dont enjoy people listening to automated crap made on a computer and calling it music. and plus i don't consider dubstep "music" and i'm going to make it, howeverlong it takes until the day i die if that what it takes, but i have to unbrain wash my generation and ones to come. the only reason the music is there is cause we allow it to be there, we promote it. if we take care of that and bring back rock as the big thing, then my mission will be complete. it is possible, you just have to get a following, so dont say it wont happen.

My point is, the mainstream/popular music has been there forever - you can't get rid of it. It's got its audience, so if you set out to destroy a genre of music you'll only be doing an injustice to yourself because your energy won't be focused on your band. Look at Nirvana, they took down hair metal, but they weren't trying to - they just let it happen around them. That's what you gotta do, play your music and let the world happen around you.

iluvledzepp

Reaction score
My point is, the mainstream/popular music has been there forever - you can't get rid of it. It's got its audience, so if you set out to destroy a genre of music you'll only be doing an injustice to yourself because your energy won't be focused on your band. Look at Nirvana, they took down hair metal, but they weren't trying to - they just let it happen around them. That's what you gotta do, play your music and let the world happen around you.

im not necessarily trying to eliminate popular music. i just want to bring rock music back into the wide mainstream, not confined. music is like highschool, very "you like this and belong to this group" i want to eliminate that.

iluvledzepp

Reaction score
ive narrowed it down to these cities:
austin texas

portland oregon

seattle washington

new york NY

nashville tennasee

los angeles CA

any advice on thsese? which is best, which is worst. list ranking from best to worst? thanks alot

Latest Threads