cities with the best rock music scenes.

iluvledzepp

Reaction score
hey everyone, ive been wondering which cities have the best rock music scenes, i plan on moving in a few years to start my music career and a band.
i already have my sound but i cant really describe it, but some of my influences are:
led zeppelin
jimi hendrix
nirvana
foo fighters
red hot chili peppers
pink floyd
the stones
im kinda a combo between classic rock, alt rock, grunge, hard rock, punk.

so where would be a good city for me? with a good rock music scene, thanks:wave:

iluvledzepp

Reaction score
to start a band, play live and make it big so i can promote good music and demote automated crap people call music ex. dubstep

GuitarToneFreak

Reaction score
to start a band, play live and make it big so i can promote good music and demote automated crap people call music ex. dubstep

Alright, lemme stop you right there and offer up some friendly advice.

If your main goal is to demote mainstream music and what's popular today - you're going to fail and you're going to fail hard. The mainstream exists where the mainstream exists, let it sit there. Eventually it'll change, it always does, but it has its place in music. It's not an "us against them" thing, if you have that attitude with it you'll find yourself not focusing on your music, in favor of knocking down something popular.

Instead, focus on carving out a niche for yourself - you're a Rock guy, roll with that. Find places in whatever town you settle down in that play Rock either exclusively or mainly, and gig, gig, gig. Also, use social media to your advantage - people find bands through the Internet nowadays, never put gigging on the backburner, but having a strong online presence can only help you. Build up your fanbase from within and focus on that, rather than what's happening in the mainstream or anything else right now. You focus on you, not dubstep, it'll make things a lot easier on you, and it won't stress you out when you find yourself incapable of demoting popular music.

Also, just have fun with it - go all in on it, but remember that at the end of the day music is for fun - let the good times roll brother :dude:

Backstage

Reaction score
The internet. All these young guns start their career at the internet nowadays ;).

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I wish is was DC. Huge shows roll through here, but I haven't felt much of a regular local rock scene at the dives and small clubs.

NY had it going on when I lived there about 8 years ago! I'm sure it still does. You can find anything there.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Austin Tx. HUGE music scene covering many genres, and home to the SXSW music (And these days, movies) festival. It's one of the best live music scenes in the US.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Seattle
NYC
Los Angeles
Chicago

Take off NYC, there's so much undercutting you'll have to be breaking your own balls, not just having everyone else do it, to make it.

Add Austin, Portland, and Nashville.

I myself am planning to move to Chicago after highschool, regardless of what college I get into.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Charlotte has a huge music scene with all genres covered... including dubstep. Much larger than I ever thought for a small city. Big on country music too. But venues for rock from small clubs to arenas.

cmh6122

Reaction score
Unless you're Kerry Livgren and the band Kansas.
They were an anomaly, even then there was no real scene. Took lessons from Kerry my senior year of high school. He is special on a number of levels, and as nice a guy as you would want to meet.

Rankelson

Reaction score
Scandinavia ~ Eastern Europe
These are lands uncorrupted by corporate, vapid
music manipulation
Ladies still wear Spandex,there too
:thumb:

0x00

Banned
Reaction score

To crush the mainstream, any city will do. Just make sure you get a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Adult-Gorilla-Suit-Halloween-Costume/dp/B000NBQAL4"]Gorilla Suit[/ame] and the rest will take care of itself.

Latest Threads